Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
I hadn't realized another set of townhouses was going to fit at 85 Gage Ave:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Saw a zone change application sign in front of the Esso at Ottawa and River.
Not even sure what they would want to put in there... It would need some remediation if changing to anything other than a gas station. Perhaps adding a drive through?
Also the block of land beside the Esso has been empty for all the 16 years I have lived in the area. I think it has the zoning sign also?
(06-24-2018, 08:09 PM)Chicopee Wrote: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1425356

A drunk driver hit a pole last night beside Stanley Park Mall, causing the entire neighbourhood from Ottawa to past Chicopee to loose power. It occurred around 12:25 am, and our power was out until around 11:00 this morning.

Ya, I checked it out. What a mess!  My power went back on at 2am, lucky, cause I was worried about the food in the fridges.
Realistically, class action lawsuits are not so easy in Canada. But you could still sue the driver as a group if you can find some other people who suffered from the outage.
A bit of old news but over the past several months CAML-TOMLIN moved from their location at Parkside and Northfield and are now located at 608 Weber St N. Their previous building was recently sold.

(05-26-2018, 01:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 12:01 PM)KevinL Wrote: "...the slow deterioration of her neighbourhood that's being overrun by students"

A neighbourhood adjacent to a educational institution is popular for students? How about that.

This is what bugs me so much.  This is a change that is happening.  You cannot pretend that change stops just because you refuse to accept new development.  The students are coming, they can either live in YOUR house, or in more suitable housing.

One cannot stop change, all we can do is try to guide it into a form we're happier with.

The project was rejected by the LPAT:
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/873...ent-lodge/

To their credit, the tribunal has no issue with student housing, and the decision was based on the density of the proposal.
Townhouses. Destroying the neighbourhood, half a floor at a time.
Agreed, even if it's not stated as being against students, the idea that 3/4 floor buildings destroy the character of any neighbourhood really *is* NIMBY to me. Just because you would be ok with something (e.g. houses of the exact same size and density as current neighbourhood) does not mean that you aren't NIMBY, which is more about change and different-than-current-neighbouring-form development.
In the decision, the chair did refer to 50 Pinnacle Dr, "where another low-rise development with about 75 units is currently under construction." I don't know anything about the Pinnacle Dr development, it would be enlightening to know how it differs from this proposal.
I've noticed that most (if not all) of the houses on Charles (relative) south of Sydney on the west side have been sold in recent months with one of them being currently surrounded by a fence.

Might be coincide, but it almost looks like a coordinated effort.
I've long thought that that whole triangular block bounded by Charles, Sydney and Delta would be prime for redevelopment. I could even envisage some higher end residential along Delta looking out to the golf course.

(07-10-2018, 10:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I've long thought that that whole triangular block bounded by Charles, Sydney and Delta would be prime for redevelopment.  I could even envisage some higher end residential along Delta looking out to the golf course.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the Seegmiller property sold to a developer ?
(05-09-2018, 10:47 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I think something major that might include demolition is happening soon to the Food Basics Plaza On Highland Rd/Lawrence Ave, at least the old Angel's Diner up to the old Dollar Store section. Diapers and More is closing there retail store according to there facebook page it's due to Construction and having to make an immediate decision. Kumon moved a few months ago and now Beat Goes on is moving to a new Waterloo location 341 Weber St.N next month. There are construction fences throughout the property they seem to be sawing away at some asphalt and all the street plaza signs have been down for Months. I started this thread http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1173 for any rumors people might hear or if someone finds something online. Any guesses of what's going on?
Lexington Park bought the plaza, new street plaza signs have been up for over a month, There is about to be a major renovation to the plaza fences are around the vacant units except the dollar store, details of reno are on this link. https://www.collaborativestructures.com/plans_room/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »