Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
(03-02-2015, 08:33 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I wonder when we will hear about the commercial tenants on the ground floor. That corner has good opportunities, what with the upcoming transit hub, as well as being surrounded by Google, the Tannery, the upcoming development across King from Google, and other offices to the south. But Kaufman is a horrible experience as a pedestrian, from all angles, and while the pedestrian experience at the School of Pharmacy is better, it's still not intended to be used by the general public. Depending on how this building's commercial tenants turn out, and the final pedestrian experience, it'll go a long way towards making this a better area for pedestrians and a welcoming entrance to Kitchener, or if it is done poorly, could cement the corner as an unpleasant location to be avoided, isolating Waterloo and the transit hub a little more from Kitchener.

Good thing there's lots space left on the public right-of-way to allow for pedestrian friendly amenities like benches or trees.  Or maybe we'll be allowed to visit the upper floor amenities spaces in exchange for forfeiting setbacks.

(03-02-2015, 08:33 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I wonder when we will hear about the commercial tenants on the ground floor. That corner has good opportunities, what with the upcoming transit hub, as well as being surrounded by Google, the Tannery, the upcoming development across King from Google, and other offices to the south. But Kaufman is a horrible experience as a pedestrian, from all angles, and while the pedestrian experience at the School of Pharmacy is better, it's still not intended to be used by the general public. Depending on how this building's commercial tenants turn out, and the final pedestrian experience, it'll go a long way towards making this a better area for pedestrians and a welcoming entrance to Kitchener, or if it is done poorly, could cement the corner as an unpleasant location to be avoided, isolating Waterloo and the transit hub a little more from Kitchener.

Does anyone know how big the units are?
http://www.canadiancommercial.ca/LEASE/k...toria.html
(03-02-2015, 03:43 PM)Lens Wrote: http://www.canadiancommercial.ca/LEASE/k...toria.html

Looking at their other properties, it appears these guys are obsessed with franchise tenants.    Hope they do something different for this location....
I'd prefer to see those units leased as soon as possible, and major franchises are much more likely to pay the extra fit-up costs associated with new construction. Look at how long we waited to see anything in the Benton parking garage.
I actually think a few franchise businesses would do Downtown some good. As much as I would rather have mostly independent shops and restaurants, I think a healthy core needs both to do well.
(03-02-2015, 06:27 PM)Lens Wrote: I actually think a few franchise businesses would do Downtown some good. As much as I would rather have mostly independent shops and restaurants, I think a healthy core needs both to do well.

A mix of decent franchises (for example, Waterloo has Starbucks, Carl's Jr and Quizno's) and independents would be ideal, I think.  As much as an independent may have better coffee, a Starbucks (for example) will draw foot traffic to the area.

(03-02-2015, 06:27 PM)Lens Wrote: I actually think a few franchise businesses would do Downtown some good. As much as I would rather have mostly independent shops and restaurants, I think a healthy core needs both to do well.

I agree with you 100%.  For two reasons, first, franchises are known commodities and will attract people.  Second, franchises coming downtown show faith in the downtown.
Given that nothing seems to be happening at the Mayfair site, I could see a Starbucks on that corner.
Starbucks and Subway are my first two guesses.
(03-03-2015, 09:59 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Starbucks and Subway are my first two guesses.

As much as I appreciate and like to support "Mom and Pop" businesses, I'm eagerly excited to see national brands move into downtown locations like this. It speaks volumes to their view on the core and to the viability of the area. I agree that it will be larger franchises locating here - the rent is going to be high.
Scotiabank is interesting. I hope that doesn't mean they're thinking of closing the main King St branch.
(03-03-2015, 10:02 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Scotiabank is interesting.  I hope that doesn't mean they're thinking of closing the main King St branch.

The floor space in the 1 Victoria retail units is quite small, not enough to replace their branch at King & Ontario.  I suspect this would be something like a "mini-branch" with ATMs, a couple of tellers and a couple of advisors.

I'm surprised Starbucks is opening there and not the transit hub. Either way I'm thrilled there finally opening a location in Downtown.
Thinking a little further on this, I think the reason that so few chain businesses have entered Downtown is because there has literally been ZERO new (not renovated like the Tannery or 305 King for example) retail space built within the past 20 years, unless you count the Kitchener market which I do not. A key in attracting these types of business is new or newer space such as the new buildings built beside the Uptown Square. I think you will continue to see mostly independent businesses in the older, traditional spaces, while (hopefully) a nice mix of retailers will snap up the newly built spaces.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »