Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
(06-26-2018, 09:12 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 08:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Thanks! Bowman is new to this but Chapman lost to Etherington by a single vote last time. Her comments on her FB page (below) are not encouraging to me though -- does anyone know what she actually said at the meeting?

Etherington won by 1,411 over Tessa Jennison in 2014.

He won by 1 over Chapman in 2010.

You are right! I really should pay attention to the years ...

(06-26-2018, 08:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 07:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Safe to say that Etherington likely has a lock on Ward 9?

I was under the impression Etherington wasn't running.

Does anyone know the cut-off date for this process? Seeing that some wards don't even have a candidate (well, one didn't), I imagine the cut-off is long into the future?

IMHO, I think Redman has a good shot at Regional Chair. Nice to have OMERS to pad to your MP pension years, her retirement looks even better.
(06-26-2018, 10:29 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 08:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I was under the impression Etherington wasn't running.

Does anyone know the cut-off date for this process?  Seeing that some wards don't even have a candidate (well, one didn't), I imagine the cut-off is long into the future?

IMHO, I think Redman has a good shot at Regional Chair.  Nice to have OMERS to pad to your MP pension years, her retirement looks even better.

Tomorrow at 2PM is the deadline for submitting nomination papers.

I'm surprised at how many wards don't have anyone, or that even incumbents haven't declared.  I'm guessing that people have just not submitted yet, and are waiting till the last day.  I've never followed the nomination process this closely before, so I cannot say if this is usual or not.

If it wasn't for the requirement to get signatures (which takes time) it would be easy to just submit paperwork if nobody is nominated in a ward.
(06-26-2018, 10:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 10:29 PM)jeffster Wrote: Does anyone know the cut-off date for this process?  Seeing that some wards don't even have a candidate (well, one didn't), I imagine the cut-off is long into the future?

IMHO, I think Redman has a good shot at Regional Chair.  Nice to have OMERS to pad to your MP pension years, her retirement looks even better.

I'm surprised at how many wards don't have anyone, or that even incumbents haven't declared.  I'm guessing that people have just not submitted yet, and are waiting till the last day.  I've never followed the nomination process this closely before, so I cannot say if this is usual or not.

If it wasn't for the requirement to get signatures (which takes time) it would be easy to just submit paperwork if nobody is nominated in a ward.

Not wise waiting until the last moment, time and unforeseen circumstances and you might not make it to city hall tomorrow.

I wonder what the procedure is if a ward actually doesn't;t have anyone running; does the city simply nominate a willing soul after the election to fill the seat?
(06-26-2018, 10:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 10:29 PM)jeffster Wrote: Does anyone know the cut-off date for this process?  Seeing that some wards don't even have a candidate (well, one didn't), I imagine the cut-off is long into the future?

July 27 at 2PM is the deadline.
(06-26-2018, 10:46 PM)welltoldtales Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 10:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Tomorrow at 2PM is the deadline for submitting nomination papers.

July 27 at 2PM is the deadline.

This is correct. I was just speaking to Kelly who's runny for mayor of Waterloo and she gave me was the July 27th date (it's a Friday). She did mention that many wait until the last day to register, as if some sort of strategy.
(06-27-2018, 05:25 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 10:46 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: July 27 at 2PM is the deadline.

This is correct. I was just speaking to Kelly who's runny for mayor of Waterloo and she gave me was the July 27th date (it's a Friday).  She did mention that many wait until the last day to register, as if some sort of strategy.

Yeah, sorry all, I should be wearing my glasses when reading dates apparently.

This is correct. I was just speaking to Kelly who's runny for mayor of Waterloo and she gave me was the July 27th date (it's a Friday).  She did mention that many wait until the last day to register, as if some sort of strategy.

'Vote for the person who waits until the absolute last minute to do anything!'
(06-26-2018, 07:37 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(06-26-2018, 06:02 PM)Spokes Wrote: "Ummm I'd like to defer until after the election to whatever decision I make can't be held against me.  Sound good?"
You kind Sir, nailed !!

The follow up is, "soo can we not make any decisions, ever?"

I suspect that the wait to registrar may be seeing who else is running.
Typically in municipal elections, the incumbents have a stronger edge over a newcomer. For that reason, I suspect that many wait to see if the incumbents are going to return before throwing their hat in the ring. For what it's worth, I understand that the Province has introduced new forms for all municipal candidates in this election.
Any word on when this project may get started?
Status bump further to the last post...any news, traction, info on this one?

It has been taken to LPAT. Waiting on review.
I thought it was approved by the city?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »