Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-28-2018, 10:50 AM)JJTL Wrote: 570 News this morning was talking about "more delays" for LRT. Didn't give much context, literally said "more delays announced today for the Region's LRT vehicles from Bombardier, are we ever going to get our trains. Tom Galloway will be joining us later to discuss the latest delivery delays from Bombardier".

https://twitter.com/570NEWS/status/1012343264836444160 Appears that Tom is currently live on the show.

Anyone know what this latest "news" is about?

I tried listening on the Radio Player App (Android with Oreo) but had no love, as it was going about 1/8 speed. It wouldn't load on my MacBook, either with Safari or Chrome.

Heard 2 vehicles on the radio. I think they may be doing paired testing at the OMSF right now. (Accelerate to 10 km/h, e-stop when signalled)
(06-28-2018, 11:11 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Heard 2 vehicles on the radio. I think they may be doing paired testing at the OMSF right now. (Accelerate to 10 km/h, e-stop when signalled)

Our good friend Jason Li posted some photos of the testing at the OMSF today https://twitter.com/mrjasonli/status/101...3452884992
(06-28-2018, 11:05 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 10:50 AM)JJTL Wrote: 570 News this morning was talking about "more delays" for LRT. Didn't give much context, literally said "more delays announced today for the Region's LRT vehicles from Bombardier, are we ever going to get our trains. Tom Galloway will be joining us later to discuss the latest delivery delays from Bombardier".

https://twitter.com/570NEWS/status/1012343264836444160 Appears that Tom is currently live on the show.

Anyone know what this latest "news" is about?

That the headlines they were running were incorrect and that there is no delay.

I wasn't able to tune in, but looks like you're right, Trainspotter. Tom Galloway, set them straight: https://twitter.com/570NEWS/status/1012367515379363840

Quote: "Bombardier has finally made a deadline and the trains are more less factory complete, and as we reported last month in our monthly report on the LRV's, a certain number are going to stay in Kingston to get the GrandLinq equipment installed, and a certain number are already here (Waterloo Region) to get that installed here," Galloway told The Mike Farwell Show on 570 NEWS.

"So there is going to be two locations for the GrandLinq equipment to be installed and that's going to speed up the process." Galloway added.

Certainly feeds the negativity if people just hear the 30 second misinformed bit on the radio, on their way to work.
Yup. I hadn’t turned on 570 News since the election on my drive to work, and for whatever reason I turned it on this morning and almost instantly turned it off. The headline Glenn was shouting was “WELL, BOMBARDIER FAILS YET AGAIN!” or something to that avail. I have no use for it. Life is too short.

When you ask your contractor to build you a kitchen, except you want to pick the sink... and then you don’t pick the sink, and then when you finally do, and the maker of the sink makes it from scratch to suit your countertop, and hasn’t yet issued it to them to install... who’s fault is it that the kitchen isn’t done on time?
(06-28-2018, 02:38 PM)Canard Wrote: When you ask your contractor to build you a kitchen, except you want to pick the sink... and then you don’t pick the sink, and then when you finally do, and the maker of the sink makes it from scratch to suit your countertop, and hasn’t yet issued it to them to install... who’s fault is it that the kitchen isn’t done on time?

Exactly.  Well said!
(06-28-2018, 02:38 PM)Canard Wrote: When you ask your contractor to build you a kitchen, except you want to pick the sink... and then you don’t pick the sink, and then when you finally do, and the maker of the sink makes it from scratch to suit your countertop, and hasn’t yet issued it to them to install... who’s fault is it that the kitchen isn’t done on time?

it's Bombardier's fault, obviously XD

Wait, I know this. The sink was picked first, and the rest of the kitchen was built around it. Sure, the faucet was late, and was found to be defective, but why wasn't the sink installed already?
Is it grandlinq or the region who hasn't decided on these last minute items? If so they won't be stepping up to say they are the reason for the delay instead of bombardier
The Region.

Requisite “My Understanding”:

Metrolinx screwed us over by not developing the custom in-cab signalling system they said they would for the Crosstown.

So, things got left until someone finally said “um, guys, there’s still that hole in the dash. What are we doing here?”

Since the Region is doing the procurement, they had to scramble to try and get someone else to do it. So, they did, and then tried to install it themselves, and couldn’t. So, they gave up, and asked Bombardier to do it for them. And now they are scrambling to do it for us... and everyone is taking a dump on them they’re the bad guys.

If you want to point fingers, the blame is squarely on Metrolinx... and The Region for quietly allowing Bombardier to take the heat. They can’t call out Metrolinx, because the funding for part of our line comes from the Province. But who cares about some company that can’t publically defend itself?

All the public see is no trains, and the media is all-too-happy to play right into that and just blindly spew this smear crap that couldn’t be further from the truth. It breaks my heart to see people doing this so maliciously.
Usually in situations like this, things are not so black and white. There is usually plenty of blame to share.

I also don't think it's fair to say that the region is dumping on Bombardier. The media certainly is, but it isn't the responsibility of the region to defend poor little Bombardier.

Re: the in cab signaling. When did the info regarding the region trying and failing to develop a solution get released? I think this is the first I've heard of it.
Black and white would be what the media is repeating. I shed a fair bit of colour in my post above.

Requisite “My Understanding”:

You misunderstood my post - the Region didn’t fail to develop the system, there were challenges installing the off-the-shelf system they eventually bought, because Metrolinx didn’t provide the one they said they would. So when they realized it didn’t make sense for them to install it, they reached out to the vehicle manufacturer to take over that part.

This was a logical conclusion - but one that should have been made years, not a few months, ago. They (The Region) never would have been in that scenario if a) Metrolinx had been truthful that they had no intention of developing the in-cab signaling system on their own, or on time, or b) told the Region at the time of order they’d be responsible for that component, where they might have simply gone with Bombardier’s stock system.

We’d have an integrated solution, instead of this patchwork mess.

I’ll send you a PM privately about your last comment.
Why can't Bombardier defend itself?

It feels like its pretty common for companies to explain when things aren't their fault and give more details on the delays.

Because they risk pissing off the Region (their current customer), or the Province (and risk losing future orders).
It appears that Bombardier did actually say something

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...rns-970759
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »