Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
(07-01-2018, 02:15 PM)jeffster Wrote: Only difference is that their is a huge crises in central America, and more Latino's are flowing through Mexico and into the USA, and so the numbers are up.

Numbers are up -- compared to what year? Enforcement is better but apprehensions still keep dropping.
[Image: blog_cbp_apprehensions_march_0.jpg]

Tom, it’s subject to interpretation. If I hold my phone upside down the graph clearly shows the current crisis and increasing numbers!
Numbers are down, but the *fear* of illegal immigration is rising.

(07-04-2018, 07:30 AM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Tom, it’s subject to interpretation.  If I hold my phone upside down the graph clearly shows the current crisis and increasing numbers!

I think that counts as a "different point of view!"
(07-03-2018, 11:03 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Jeffster, I’ve been around long enough to know it’s not worth discussing issues with people that speak lies and refuse to recognize the facts as laid out.

You want us to believe that you care about these children but you seem to have no desire to retract your lies and acknowledge the actual facts.  You preach false equivalence of two situations that aren’t at all the same - and in doing so legitimize the clearly worse situation.  Spare me your crocodile tears over the children because it’s blatantly obvious what you actually care about.

You're entitled to your opinion.

And obviously, I DO care about the kids more than you, because you refuse to acknowledge what has happened in the past in the US and what has happened here to the children. And you're no different than the media that only get up in arms when it fills their needs and agenda.

You don't have kids, clearly, I do. So I can relate to those parents, now, as well as the ones in the past.
(07-03-2018, 11:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 02:15 PM)jeffster Wrote: Only difference is that their is a huge crises in central America, and more Latino's are flowing through Mexico and into the USA, and so the numbers are up.

Numbers are up -- compared to what year? Enforcement is better but apprehensions still keep dropping.
[Image: blog_cbp_apprehensions_march_0.jpg]

Quote: Central America’s displacement nightmare

The Northern Triangle countries of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras are experiencing the most severe displacement crises since their civil wars of the late 20th century. Roughly 130,000 people applied for asylum from these three countries in 2017 – a 1,500 percent increase since 2011. Most of them are seeking protection in Mexico and the U.S., but the majority are being denied. Indeed, efforts such as Programa Frontera Sur, a U.S.-backed plan to militarize Mexico’s southern border, have sought to stem the northward migration of Central Americans. Those who cannot afford to flee north have been internally displaced, often repeatedly. Honduras has roughly 190,000 internally displaced people, equivalent to 4 percent of the country’s population. In El Salvador, at least 71,500 people were displaced due to violence between 2006 and 2016. Similar to their Northern Triangle neighbors, they face threats of aggression, homicide, targeted assassination, extortion and child recruitment by gangs.

http://americasquarterly.org/content/stu...ion-crisis

This has been a talking point on CNN, ABC, etc. (if you watch the networks) nevermind FOX (which is mostly trash). Immigration from Mexico down, but not from these other countries where there has been a crisis.
What have you done to help the kids?  Either now or in the past?

Aside from your multiple misrepresentations about the situation, it sounds like the only thing you're doing is complaining about how the media is being unfair against Trump?  Like, even if you were right about increased immigration (you've been shown you're not) and even if you were right that the same thing was happening before (you've been shown how the policy has changed), shouldn't you be thankful that the media is at least up in arms now?  Better late than never, sort of thing?  

And see, that's the clue to the rest of us.  Because someone that actually cares about an issue is happy when the media finally starts to cover it - even if they should have been covering it much earlier.

Edit: Jeffster, you said: "In no way to I defend what is going on there, it just isn't 'new' and therefore, shouldn't be 'news'.". You care so much about the kids that you think it shouldn't be covered because you know, it just doesn't fit with your definition of "news". I mean, I know treating children horribly is bad. But could you imagine the horror if the word "News" was misused???

Those numbers and that situation aren't the numbers that are relevant when we're talking about the people actually crossing into the US and being apprehended. And it in no way makes your statement correct:

"and more Latino's are flowing through Mexico and into the USA, and so the numbers are up."
Provincial government taking suggestions on priorities and finding "how government programs can be effective, affordable and sustainable" until 21-Sep-2018:
Consultation: Review of Ontario government spending
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Judge overrules Mayor of Toronto ... oops, I mean Premier Doug Ford's plan to cut Toronto City Council.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/j...-1.4816664

Coke
(09-10-2018, 08:41 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Judge overrules Mayor of Toronto ... oops, I mean Premier Doug Ford's plan to cut Toronto City Council.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/j...-1.4816664

Coke

I wonder if the Province will appeal or let it ride for now in order to implement changes for subsequent municipal elections?   Seems wildly chaotic to continue the legal challenge so close to the election date (who would be running for what?).
They may be inclined to forment chaos further; the premier seems to have that inclination. But their legal counsel may advise against an appeal given how clear the justice's ruling was.
Looks like their plan is to use the notwithstanding clause. I'd hope that everybody could agree this is a ridiculous idea and a dangerous precedent. But these days...

(09-10-2018, 04:01 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Looks like their plan is to use the notwithstanding clause.  I'd hope that everybody could agree this is a ridiculous idea and a dangerous precedent.  But these days...

It is an appalling idea, but I have no doubt that loyal members of Ford Nation will support it.   Whether anyone in the PC caucus has the cojones to stand up against it remains to be seen (has the Premier already run it by caucus?  I shouldn't think there was time).  I really wonder what the City of Toronto is supposed to do now pending further court action, recall of Parliament, and invocation of the notwithstanding clause?  Do they prepare for an election of 47 councillors? 25 councillors?  Both?  Neither?
From today's Record:

Quote:"I was elected," Ford told reporters, while saying the judge "was appointed" by former Liberal premier Dalton McGuinty.

If that's so, someone should remind this doofus that most people in Ontario did not vote for him or his party.  

Just another reminder why we so desperately need proportional representation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »