Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
There's a company doing environmental drilling at the parking lot behind the shoppers building right now.

(06-14-2018, 11:27 AM)Lens Wrote: There's a company doing environmental drilling at the parking lot behind the shoppers building right now.

King and College?
(06-14-2018, 11:30 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 11:27 AM)Lens Wrote: There's a company doing environmental drilling at the parking lot behind the shoppers building right now.

King and College?

Yeah, there is work going on there, starting either early this week or last week. I know I saw something about a 18 floor apartment/condo going in there, but it's such a small footprint, I have no idea how'd they do it, especially for parking. The lot directly behind Shoppers, IIRC, is owned by Shoppers. But I suppose they could get parking elsewhere..
The owner of the building shoppers is in and the owner of the lot you're referring to are one and the same. I'd assume whatever they build would use the shoppers parking lot, and maybe add underground parking for customers
Interesting article that touches on a renovation at 270 Spadina Rd E, "Woodside Terraces":

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/869...-approval/

Quote:Workers stripped the building down to bare concrete before installing floor-to-ceiling windows and new electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling systems. The 53 multiple-bedroom apartments were divided into 103 suites with quartz countertops, plank floors, contemporary bathrooms and kitchens.
Workers had to remove mould from many units. There was extensive water damage in others.

I editorialize on this in our gentrification thread:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...4#pid54284
We do actually have a dedicated thread for that. Smile
Their website shows a new building at 388 King E in Kitchener.  That's on the block next to the market.   It looks much better than what's there now.

Geez, if I lived next to Nova Era, I'd probably OD on pasteis de nata! With occasional morning breaks for Golden Hearth's croissants!
Where is the commercial element for a project so close to the downtown core?
(06-30-2018, 02:58 PM)kitborn Wrote: Where is the commercial element for a project so close to the downtown core?

I think the city should turn this proposal down if there is no commercial element on the first floor.  The Drewlo project is one block down the road and that has commercial on the first floor.  Any development on King St up to Ottawa St must have a commercial component.
I'm not sure how that could work in this case, given the need for the garage access and the lobby to be on the King St side. How could this be configured to eliminate the front-facing garage access?
You'd have to put in a lane on the side to a garage entrance on the side or back, which would take away significant 1st-floor space.

I suspect this property isn't wide enough to effectively offer retail on the ground level. But like midtown properties, I think we should be able to accept that here.
I disagree. Maybe if the development was more worthwhile I'd be willing to sacrifice commercial space, but this thing is pretty gross looking for a building 3 blocks from the "centre" of downtown (Frederick / King).

The city's zoning does not require retail at this location. And there is no shortage at all of retail space, with existing retail, the Drewlo project -- and the huge vacant property across the street.
(07-02-2018, 09:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The city's zoning does not require retail at this location. And there is no shortage at all of retail space, with existing retail, the Drewlo project -- and the huge vacant property across the street.

I think that's a bit of the issue.  They should require it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »