Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-11-2018, 07:34 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 07:21 AM)Canard Wrote: I shared a cute poster by the project team and now it’s being absolutely decimated.

Don’t worry, it’s a good poster. I did call my concern a “nit”. My concern isn’t even specifically about the poster but around the messaging in general, including the actual signs. There really isn’t a sign in existence that conveys the level of exclusion — the only thing that is comparable is the extent to which vehicles are supposed to stay off the sidewalk, which is handled not by a specific sign but by curbing and people just understanding what a sidewalk is (except when they don’t, but that’s another story).

Returning to the poster, you shared it, and now there is a discussion. This is good!

the diamond signs for the LRT lanes are pretty clear.

(07-11-2018, 09:00 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 07:34 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Don’t worry, it’s a good poster. I did call my concern a “nit”. My concern isn’t even specifically about the poster but around the messaging in general, including the actual signs. There really isn’t a sign in existence that conveys the level of exclusion — the only thing that is comparable is the extent to which vehicles are supposed to stay off the sidewalk, which is handled not by a specific sign but by curbing and people just understanding what a sidewalk is (except when they don’t, but that’s another story).

Returning to the poster, you shared it, and now there is a discussion. This is good!

the diamond signs for the LRT lanes are pretty clear.

They're also clear for bike lanes.

I suspect the problem is less people's understanding of the laws, but people's choice to follow them.
Yeah, the poster (and the text they chose) is fine.

It needs to get across a quick, simple, easily digestible message. Spending too many words on clarification and nuance would muddy it.
(07-10-2018, 09:32 PM)Canard Wrote: New ad:

Love it!  Hope it's the first of many.

Okay, I'll toss in some positives: Great, simple graphic design that only brings across the basics of what you need to know; and yet it gives a lot of local specifics - a station in our unique design; the signals that are now visible and being activated. Superb work.
Any updates on the location of 508 and 509?
Just a note, this thread has just passed 4 million views. Just to repeat, FOUR FREAKING MILLION VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.
(07-10-2018, 11:16 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 11:16 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Shouldn't the word Ion be backwards if it is being seen in the rear-view mirror?
Yes. Yes it should.

Maybe the train did the backwards name... just like an ambulance?

Coke

(07-13-2018, 08:48 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 11:16 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Yes. Yes it should.

Maybe the train did the backwards name... just like an ambulance?

Coke

It's double ended though...which end would you put the backwards name on?
If a driver can see the ION in their rear view mirror they're doing something very wrong.
(07-13-2018, 09:36 AM)JoeKW Wrote: If a driver can see the ION in their rear view mirror they're doing something very wrong.

Good point. It’s not a streetcar, after all…
(07-13-2018, 09:16 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-13-2018, 08:48 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Maybe the train did the backwards name... just like an ambulance?

Coke

It's double ended though...which end would you put the backwards name on?

Its an LED screen.... so whatever side is the front.   Smile

(07-13-2018, 09:36 AM)JoeKW Wrote: If a driver can see the ION in their rear view mirror they're doing something very wrong.

If the iON was far enough behind you, it can be seen in the rear view.  But you are correct that if its the vehicle behind you, there may be an issue.  (In the drivers defence, in the poster, they are clearly in a vehicle lane)

Coke
Since were NITTING, why are you capitalizing only the ON and not the i?

DISCUSSSSSSSSSSS
(07-13-2018, 10:45 AM)Canard Wrote: Since were NITTING, why are you capitalizing only the ON and not the i?

DISCUSSSSSSSSSSS

sponsored by Apple Tongue

Let's move on.

Offloading was scheduled for Monday, but unless 508/509 show up this afternoon at Lancaster and go up tonight, that's not going to happen.

Very curious what the plan is to pull them up the spur - I imagine one scenario is they'll leave 1 at Lancaster and just pull one up per evening. If they pull both up together, I don't think they have room in the siding at Commonwealth Plywood to store them + the flatcars.
(07-13-2018, 12:17 PM)Canard Wrote: Let's move on.

Offloading was scheduled for Monday, but unless 508/509 show up this afternoon at Lancaster and go up tonight, that's not going to happen.

Very curious what the plan is to pull them up the spur - I imagine one scenario is they'll leave 1 at Lancaster and just pull one up per evening. If they pull both up together, I don't think they have room in the siding at Commonwealth Plywood to store them + the flatcars.

I thought the Chem train was M-T?

My prediction is it shows up in Lancaster some time over the weekend and goes up Monday.

As for the siding, can't they temporarily use one of the many other sidings off the spur as well for the second one?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »