Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
I've a soft spot for that kind of stuff, I'd love to get one if they are ever removed but wouldn't dare steal one.

There's one in front of the greenbrook water treatment plant and I'm pretty sure I saw one or two on my way up to Mt. Trashmore the other day.

I laugh at the Pennyfarthing sign on Traynor every time I bike by.
The pedestrian bridge on the Central Promenade in Waterloo Park was open this morning.
(07-11-2018, 05:15 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The pedestrian bridge on the Central Promenade in Waterloo Park was open this morning.

I took a picture when I was out at lunch time.

[Image: egBfhDw.jpg]
Just in time for the opening of the Waterloo Park pedestrian bridge: the closing of the Waterloo Park pedestrian bridge!

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/engineers-t...-1.4010997
Details on the closure:

https://twitter.com/uu_john/status/10177...88608?s=21
This new sign has gone up on the MUT (which is currently closed) on the West side of King St., between Conestogo and Northfield.  Does anyone know what it is for?  The sign is facing North, so if you're heading South you see it.

Meanwhile, the Iron Horse Trail is still closed, with no sign of any progress again... still just packed dirt.  Lots of people were just cutting around the fence and walking along it anyway, and I can't say I blame them.

This sign makes me laugh... it's like fusion, it's always 30 years away. (with no start date listed, the information is absolutely meaningless)

(07-21-2018, 01:19 PM)Canard Wrote: This sign makes me laugh... it's like fusion, it's always 30 years away.  (with no start date listed, the information is absolutely meaningless)

Plus, the construction signage has been inaccurate even with start dates. In at least one spot, they marked the trail as closed, but for fully two weeks did no work on it.
The detour signs are even worse. I think they must have had a certain number of left and right “DETOUR” signs with arrows made up... and when they ran out of the right ones, they just put the other ones on the opposite sides of the poles... completely invisible when approaching from the detour direction.

If you’re heading North, you hit Belmont and just keep going because the sign is on the North side of the pole, not South. It’s insane.
It looks like the stretch between David and West could have been paved. There's been a bunch of BrantCo heavy equipment sitting in the parking lot for a while, including a roller. I imagine all this rain will mean they have to do a bit of work to tidy the base up a bit but holy cow does this ever need to get finished. I can't imagine how much the extras are gonna cost the city.
(07-22-2018, 09:25 AM)clasher Wrote: I can't imagine how much the extras are gonna cost the city.

What do you mean? Don't they just pay a quoted price to a contractor for the project?

"We need you to make a trail for us"

"OK it'll cost $X"

"Okay, here is $X"

"Thank you"

?
(07-22-2018, 10:41 AM)Canard Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 09:25 AM)clasher Wrote: I can't imagine how much the extras are gonna cost the city.

What do you mean?  Don't they just pay a quoted price to a contractor for the project?

"We need you to make a trail for us"

"OK it'll cost $X"

"Okay, here is $X"

"Thank you"

?

Some stuff probably wasn't in the original contract, like that asbestos pipe that they found, or if there were more surprises in the ground (I dunno what else is going on with this job) so that is extra stuff outside of the original quote and obviously the contractor isn't just going to do the extra work for free when they couldn't have possibly been able to quote the hours and material it'd cost to do it.I imagine when they found the pipe there was a few hours between the discovery and when someone confirmed it was asbestos and so the crew was just standing around and then they will argue about who pays for those hours since that wasn't likely in the contract. I don't know the specifics of how the city deals with stuff like that but in the work I do it usually requires someone from the client's side to sign off on the extra work and there is always a lot of arguing about how many hours of work it should take, how much material and parts, etc.

Usually the money isn't paid out immediately upon completion of a project but some time afterward... I know that when we work for a big cement company it's a 120 days before they pay the company for any jobs we do. I've never worked for a company that worked for the city so no clue how it works with them.
Ah, I didn't realize they found a "pipe" - is that the cause of the delay? What's this about asbestos?

(07-22-2018, 02:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Ah, I didn't realize they found a "pipe" - is that the cause of the delay? What's this about asbestos?

All I know is what Pheidippides posted a while ago in this thread.
Neat drop-in session about what sounds like a most awesome connection:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/875...onnection/

Also: look at that! The IHT getting paved today!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »