Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolv1 | 3 fl | Complete
very cool photos of this building and the solar array here:

https://twitter.com/vigorcleantech/statu...2812356611

[Image: Di8-aKKXsAEnb2m.jpg]

That also shows how this building has a floor-area-ratio of less than 1 (i.e. less usable floor area than the area of the property) within frisbee throw of an LRT station.
Yeah, seeing it like this, three storeys is underwhelming.
Is this project complete now?
(07-27-2018, 10:22 PM)mpd618 Wrote: That also shows how this building has a floor-area-ratio of less than 1 (i.e. less usable floor area than the area of the property) within frisbee throw of an LRT station.

Totally. Remember the R+T Park was planned and designed as a traditional business park... hopefully the next developments after this one will be higher density (maybe even mixed use!), at least that's what is shown on the Station Area Plan from the City.
Sadly, Evolv2 across the street from Evolv1 is also slated to be similar density - three storey building with a massive parking lot in behind.
IMO, the R&T park is a complete failure - it could have been a high density tech haven - with Hagey Blvd as a main street full of shops, tech offices and student condos, with parking in behind/above or below ground.
(07-30-2018, 10:35 AM)Tony_Plow Wrote: Sadly, Evolv2 across the street from Evolv1 is also slated to be similar density - three storey building with a massive parking lot in behind.
IMO, the R&T park is a complete failure - it could have been a high density tech haven - with Hagey Blvd as a main street full of shops, tech offices and student condos, with parking in behind/above or below ground.

Wouldn't that have been great.  Instead we're supposed to be happy that we have EV chargers.

I love R&T Park and think it's pretty awesome, personally. (I also think Evolv looks amazing, and love the solar panels and the fact that they're providing EV chargers)
Do you think there would ever be a push for residential and to make it a real mixed use community?

I don't know if that's even possible on university land
(07-30-2018, 10:08 AM)urbd Wrote:
(07-27-2018, 10:22 PM)mpd618 Wrote: That also shows how this building has a floor-area-ratio of less than 1 (i.e. less usable floor area than the area of the property) within frisbee throw of an LRT station.

Totally. Remember the R+T Park was planned and designed as a traditional business park... hopefully the next developments after this one will be higher density (maybe even mixed use!), at least that's what is shown on the Station Area Plan from the City.

Waterloo zoning doesn't mandate any minimum FAR so low density is always possible if that's what the developer wants to do. And, yes, that was really the vision for R+T -- although admittedly that vision dates back to long before the LRT.
(10-07-2018, 10:12 AM)Spokes Wrote: Do you think there would ever be a push for residential and to make it a real mixed use community?

I don't know if that's even possible on university land

I think that's quite unlikely. Zoning doesn't allow it and I can't see a push for it when there is residential available just further north.

Hopefully there will be more retail use in the future, though.
The university can certainly build residential on its land - if it's for its own students.
I assumed as much. It's a shame as with a good employment base there's potential here

I've worked in the R&T park for a number of years. The plan is to eventually have more here for workers in the way of dining/convenience. There's a brewpub coming to Factory Square as well as the existing Matter of Taste. I think Evolv 2 will also have a restaurant or pub.
(12-10-2018, 03:49 PM)IworkinIT Wrote: I've worked in the R&T park for a number of years. The plan is to eventually have more here for workers in the way of dining/convenience. There's a brewpub coming to Factory Square as well as the existing Matter of Taste. I think Evolv 2 will also have a restaurant or pub.

Where the heck is the Waterloo location?  I've never been able to find it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »