Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ophelia (242-262 Queen St S) | 11 fl | U/C
I hope the perspective is from the back of the building. To have a parking lot and car storage facing Queen would be terrible.

(08-04-2018, 05:22 AM)tomh009 Wrote: One interesting tidbit is that Vive also owns 51 David St, which almost backs onto these properties. Will that somehow become part of this development?

Is the David St proposal still alive?
(08-04-2018, 09:34 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-04-2018, 05:22 AM)tomh009 Wrote: One interesting tidbit is that Vive also owns 51 David St, which almost backs onto these properties. Will that somehow become part of this development?

Is the David St proposal still alive?

It's a very good question. Vive has the Spadina St project under way, and now the Queen St S project proposed. I haven't seen anything about the David St property recently.  The location of the latter property is very nice but the lot's narrowness makes it fairly challenging.
Draft of the Heritage Impact Assessment Report for the proposed redevelopment at the corner of Weber St W and Young St. The report will be presented at the Aug 14th meeting of Heritage Kitchener. https://lf.kitchener.ca/WebLinkExt/DocVi...10053&cr=1
(08-03-2018, 11:52 AM)panamaniac Wrote:  It surprises me a bit that OneRoof (262) might come down - it's not that many years since the building was renovated and expanded.

I just learned about the development info session, too late to attend. I was mostly curious about OneRoof; and not happy if they were being closed out.

I emailed One Roof and got a quite rapid reply from their CEO, who has the following to say:

"Thank you for being one of the neighbors that likes having us in the neighborhood! That means a lot. I actually just left the meeting and currently we do not have a place to move to, nor has the development company purchased us. They purchased the two buildings beside us and are attempting to negotiate with us for the purchase of our building. It was a bit misleading for them to include our address on the invitation to the meeting. However they did articulate at the meeting that their plan includes purchasing our building but that the ball is in our court in terms of finding a suitable place to relocate to. If no suitable place is found then we're not going anywhere. It was a fairly well attended meeting with some good questions being asked and some support for our agency in the room which was very heartwarming. Thank you again for your support of us and if there are any future consultative meetings I'll be sure to let you know."

So, that's good news as far as I'm concerned, because OneRoof serves a critical role downtown.
Pretty crazy to have a meeting about a development from the prospective developer who does not own ( or have buy in from all owners) all properties in question.
Yes, very much presumptuous of the developer. Strikes me as unprofessional.

If nothing else, it pre-empts the frequent NIMBY complaint of inadequate/non-timely consultation. But it does seem strange to host a meeting on a development when you don't (yet) own the site.
There is a render flyer the Vive Development project on Queen St at the article linked below :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.4780683
If I were One Roof, I'd be holding out for a number of low rent studio apartments in the new building itself, along with financial assistance for the creation of a new One Roof facility in another central location.   Seems to me that they are in the driver's seat wrt this proposal, at least in its present form.
I like how Litt said he is willing to look at providing units for homelss teens if the city allows more floors. Very smart negotiations on his part.
(08-12-2018, 11:18 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I like how Litt said he is willing to look at providing units for homelss teens if the city allows more floors. Very smart negotiations on his part.

Given the surroundings, I'd be surprised if anyone would oppose an extra storey, in exchange for low-cost units within the building.  It wouldn't even be a big design challenge, istm, - just incorporate a side entrance to a segregated section of the building on the first floor or first two floors at the back of the tower.  I could see a dozen or more studios being incorporated into the project in that way, along with a space for a supervisor, if that were felt to be a requirement for the One Roof clientele.
(08-12-2018, 11:52 AM)Chicopee Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 11:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Given the surroundings, I'd be surprised if anyone would oppose an extra storey, in exchange for low-cost units within the building.  It wouldn't even be a big design challenge, istm, - just incorporate a side entrance to a segregated section of the building on the first floor or first two floors at the back of the tower.  I could see a dozen or more studios being incorporated into the project in that way, along with a space for a supervisor, if that were felt to be a requirement for the One Roof clientele.

Of course this situation is quite different, but the idea of separate entrances for market units vs. affordable units has been in the news lately in Vancouver. They've been dubbed "poor doors", and it's created a stir.

A non-issue, imho.

(08-12-2018, 10:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: If I were One Roof, I'd be holding out for a number of low rent studio apartments in the new building itself, along with financial assistance for the creation of a new One Roof facility in another central location.   Seems to me that they are in the driver's seat wrt this proposal, at least in its present form.

They definitely have all of the control.  Unless Vive was going to redesign the project, but my guess is they've explored that option and it doesn't make sense.
(08-12-2018, 11:52 AM)Chicopee Wrote:
(08-12-2018, 11:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Given the surroundings, I'd be surprised if anyone would oppose an extra storey, in exchange for low-cost units within the building.  It wouldn't even be a big design challenge, istm, - just incorporate a side entrance to a segregated section of the building on the first floor or first two floors at the back of the tower.  I could see a dozen or more studios being incorporated into the project in that way, along with a space for a supervisor, if that were felt to be a requirement for the One Roof clientele.

Of course this situation is quite different, but the idea of separate entrances for market units vs. affordable units has been in the news lately in Vancouver. They've been dubbed "poor doors", and it's created a stir.

I remember NYC going through a huge issue with poor doors a number of years ago.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »