Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-13-2018, 10:20 PM)BrianT Wrote: Watch, it will be Jay Aissa driving the first train. Tongue

Haha...I was going to say the same thing.

I read some of his stuff, some of his interviews, and I can't help to think that "Wow, this guy has the same speech as Donald Trump!" Lot's of false information.

Found this gem: http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2014/07/21/fac...jay-aissa/

Luckily, the regional chair doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

I'll leave it at that.

(08-13-2018, 09:10 PM)Canard Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 09:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Obviously, demand could be so great as to fill all available trains, but we can certainly run more than one train load down.

Um, you realize there will likely be like, tens of thousands of people coming to this with hours-long waits for the first rides, right?!

Every other city has been like this!  Do you seriously think that maybe more than 200 people would show up?!

https://youtu.be/elH0gDrV7UM

Have a little faith man! : Tongue

Oh, I'm quite sure that many more people will show up--I remember the crowds at the open house.

But what I meant was that the region has 14 trains each with 200 spaces for inaugural rides!  I'd still love to get to ride the second, (or fourteenth) train for it's maiden voyage to Fairway.
(08-13-2018, 09:04 PM)Canard Wrote: I hope they'll give Tom training and let him be the pilot for the LRV that breaks the ribbon.  There is precedent. Big Grin

Yeah, I agree, Tom should be trained and be allowed to drive the first train. He has, after all, been the biggest cheerleader (after you) of our LRT. Perhaps Tom could have you as his wingman, as you've been a massive cheerleader for this.

If I see Jay Aissa driving it, I will sacrifice myself, on behalf of everyone here, and jump right in front of him while he's driving it.

I do expect chocolate and flowers Whiskey.
(08-14-2018, 06:57 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 09:10 PM)Canard Wrote: Um, you realize there will likely be like, tens of thousands of people coming to this with hours-long waits for the first rides, right?!

Every other city has been like this!  Do you seriously think that maybe more than 200 people would show up?!

https://youtu.be/elH0gDrV7UM

Have a little faith man! : Tongue

Oh, I'm quite sure that many more people will show up--I remember the crowds at the open house.

But the region has 14 trains each with 200 spaces for inaugural rides!  I'd still love to get to ride the second, (or fourteenth) train for it's maiden voyage to Fairway.

Looking forward to meeting you, then.

This assumes, of course, that Jay Aissa isn't driving, because, if so, I am jumping in front of that train. Jack Daniels, this is what I like, and I'll be in a room somewhere in Grand River Hospital, and hopefully, Jay will retire after that. (Of course, I actually expect Redman to win)
^ people expected Hillary to win.
(08-14-2018, 08:17 AM)timio Wrote: ^ people expected Hillary to win.

Hillary was a much worse candidate, and ran a terrible campaign. But yeah, I won’t be the slightest bit surprised if we end up living in a Region run by a buffoon in a province run by a nincompoop.
(08-14-2018, 09:17 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 08:17 AM)timio Wrote: ^ people expected Hillary to win.

Hillary was a much worse candidate, and ran a terrible campaign. But yeah, I won’t be the slightest bit surprised if we end up living in a Region run by a buffoon in a province run by a nincompoop.

Worse than whom?

Omg no take this elsewhere pleassssse.

I’ll be popping by Millhaven this weekend, hope to see some action out on at least one of the test tracks.
(08-14-2018, 09:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 09:17 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Hillary was a much worse candidate, and ran a terrible campaign. But yeah, I won’t be the slightest bit surprised if we end up living in a Region run by a buffoon in a province run by a nincompoop.

Worse than whom?

Karen Redman. Sorry, my sentence was unclear.
Lots of deficiency work being done between UW and Allen stations; especially on the sidewalks.

Lots of, seemingly good, sidewalk panels being jackhammered out and re-poured.

Others are being added, like the ones at university that have turned these sod patches turned mud patches to concrete:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I was glad to see that patch of mud turned into concrete (finally!). I don't want to complain too much about it, but really this crossing should have been made wider.
As cycling connections get better in this city, the expanded Laurel trail up to Seagram really should extend up through R&T Park, requiring a widened trail, and especially at this crossing a set of cross-rides, set up so as to create a good expectation for pedestrian/cycling position. Mind you, the strong northwest-southeast foot traffic pattern between campus and residences will always cause mode conflicts.

505 and 509 together at Fairway today (official photo from ION)

[Image: 6luvx09.jpg]
(08-15-2018, 11:41 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: As cycling connections get better in this city, the expanded Laurel trail up to Seagram really should extend up through R&T Park, requiring a widened trail, and especially at this crossing a set of cross-rides, set up so as to create a good expectation for pedestrian/cycling position. Mind you, the strong northwest-southeast foot traffic pattern between campus and residences will always cause mode conflicts.

Do you mean by that there should be separate cyclist and pedestrian paths through campus? That certainly seems like it would remove a lot of conflict, though I think north of Columbia volumes are low enough it doesn't present a huge issue.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »