Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Grand River Transit
(08-24-2018, 03:24 PM)timio Wrote: Also of note from thirs article:
Paper tickets are no longer valid as of Jan 1, 2019.

So there's hope of going GA with these cards before then.  Maybe.

The beta web site has launched, and they're no longer offering the discounted prices to beta users, so I think they're expecting to be live pretty soon. Overall the system has been very reliable in my experience (as a stored value user who rides the bus to and from work one day each week or so). I don't think this project is dependant on Ion for anything, so the outlook seems pretty good so far. It has gone on a lot longer than they claimed to think it might though.

Here's something I'd not previously heard of: they are proposing a full bus terminal at the Conestoga College Doon Campus, to open by Sept 2019.

Details: http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/conestoga...rvice.aspx
(08-27-2018, 11:16 AM)KevinL Wrote: Here's something I'd not previously heard of: they are proposing a full bus terminal at the Conestoga College Doon Campus, to open by Sept 2019.

Details: http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/conestoga...rvice.aspx

Until it opens they are moving the 203 iXpress stop from Door 3 to the stop sign on the internal roadway near Door 6 opposite the Rec Centre.
I got a email asking for a focus group participants for the EasyGo app. I am thinking of signing up to give my two cents on the app.
Conestoga may not have voted for the UPass (yet), but if you're getting the discounted term pass they are using the student card for it this term! It will be loaded on that smartcard the same way the UW and Laurier ones are on the WatCard and OneCard.
(08-27-2018, 03:36 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I got a email asking for a focus group participants for the EasyGo app. I am thinking of signing up to give my two cents on the app.

I wanted to go but cannot make it. At least one WRConnected member should go!

There are several lapses they could address. If they're looking for a wishlist:

1) Performance. Data takes forever to be displayed. Not sure if it's the app or if it's the datasource to blame for this. Either way, aim for a realized design that doesn't need loading spinners.
2) Integration with My Easy Go: my stored value card balance should be visible upon loading the app, or within one action from the home screen. Credentials should be saved in the app for viewing balances, but should be requested again for changing anything on the account.
3) Bugfixes to do with the "Enter Stop ID #" input:
- It should be a number input not a text input so that it uses the number keyboards
- The input is hidden by the keyboard
4) Bugfixes in the Settings screen
- What notifications? Why do you want to push notifications to my tray?
- The links for "Support" and "Privacy" are both broken (which is a pity as the privacy policy is actually pretty nice)

To my great surprise two longstanding "fit and finish" bugs have been resolved "recently" (the app updated in June): pressing "enter" in the stop# input actually submits the form, and the screen stack ordering from favourites > Stop > Route and back again no longer gets confused. Good job to the team for those!

If only the app were open source, I could submit patches or build my own with some personalizations.
(08-27-2018, 06:29 PM)chutten Wrote: If only the app were open source, I could submit patches or build my own with some personalizations.

All excellent suggestions, but this last in particular deserves to be highlighted. Why not, indeed, free software? While it would be nice, I understand why most Apple programs, for example, do not have source code available. But GRT isn’t in the business of selling software; they are in the business of running transit. They should welcome suggestions, changes, and alternate app implementations from others.

(08-27-2018, 07:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 06:29 PM)chutten Wrote: If only the app were open source, I could submit patches or build my own with some personalizations.

All excellent suggestions, but this last in particular deserves to be highlighted. Why not, indeed, free software? While it would be nice, I understand why most Apple programs, for example, do not have source code available. But GRT isn’t in the business of selling software; they are in the business of running transit. They should welcome suggestions, changes, and alternate app implementations from others.

But that would upset eSolutionsGroup that someone could make a better official app than them.
(08-27-2018, 07:48 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(08-27-2018, 07:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: All excellent suggestions, but this last in particular deserves to be highlighted. Why not, indeed, free software? While it would be nice, I understand why most Apple programs, for example, do not have source code available. But GRT isn’t in the business of selling software; they are in the business of running transit. They should welcome suggestions, changes, and alternate app implementations from others.

But that would upset eSolutionsGroup that someone could make a better official app than them.

Lol, people already make better apps than them.

This is the key though, the app isn't developed by GRT, and there's a good chance the contact doesn't give GRT rights to the source code.

The reason being, eSolutionsGroup *is* in the business of selling software, and they likely have a platform internally that they simply resell each transit agency they deal with, but slightly customized.

It's a highly lucrative business...one where usability is not a high priority.

That being said, I haven't used the app in a while, but when I did, I knew there were a half dozen better apps in the app store already...my question was "why do we bother spending money on this app"...

And a follow up, if we are going to spend money on it, it should be better than competing apps in the app store for our transit agency.

Generally, I see very poor software for local websites and transit agencies: updates for our local city, GRT, GO, and Presto's websites.  For every one of those, I felt the usability got worse with the update.  So frustrating to see money get spent and things get worse.

As an aside, I've not used the apps, but at least one of the transit agencies in Quebec, "Exo" I found to have a reasonably good website.
Has anyone clarified if the Connect to GO provisions of the new farecard will be altered from what the website says until the Transit Hub is up and running?  According to the site

Quote:GO Transit riders with a valid Presto card can have a Connect-to-GO flag set on their EasyGO fare card. When you tap to board the bus, the full fare will be deducted from your balance. When you tap on a device at the Central Station ION stop, your card will be reimbursed. 

To have the Connect-to-GO flag set on your EasyGO fare card, you will need to provide your Presto card number.

For example: As a rider of the EB 204, this is highly inconvenient when the schedule has barely enough time to make the direct connection to the morning EB trains (4 minutes for 6:04 train and 9 minutes for 6:47 train). With this caveat, they're expecting me to get off at King/Water, hike up to Central Station to tap my card, and then across to the VIA station to catch the train, adding an additional 8-10 minutes for my trip.  Seems implausible without running.
It says room for 9 buses...

[Image: CC-station-concept.jpg]

But that bus at the bottom would fit in a parking space.... Is this one of those ride share/GRT pilot vehicles?

Coke
New stop platforms being readied on Block Line at Strasburg - this is in preparation for the 201 serving the intersection when Ion launches. The foreground one's bigger than usual, the entire boulevard is nearly impassable!

[Image: 2AUZttz.jpg]
That's a BusPlus vehicle for those lower-ridership pilot routes. There's one currently serving Conestoga already.

(Shouldn't this be in the GRT thread?)

Ugh, transit improvements are great, but we're kinda missing the point when the entire side of the road is completely closed to pedestrians for the duration of the construction.
(08-28-2018, 08:58 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: It says room for 9 buses...

[Image: CC-station-concept.jpg]

But that bus at the bottom would fit in a parking space.... Is this one of those ride share/GRT pilot vehicles?

Coke
That's for the 76 Doon South BusPlus
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »