Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Right. Nothing special about the houses, and not even in great condition. Given the direction to intensify Queen St S, rather than keeping a few token houses on this block, I fully expect the council to give this a green light. Assuming they work out an agreement with ROOF, that is.

They do this all the time, they protect properties that aren't special. They frustrate me.
(09-05-2018, 10:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Kitchener heritage committee has rejected Vive's application to demolish the houses at 254 and 262 Queen St S, which the developer owns. It did, however, approve demolition of the OneRoof building, which the developer does not own (say what?).

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/888...-building/

So until Roof finds another spot and sells their building there really won't be any action here?

Also can anyone just get heritage's approval to demolish property they don't own?
It's interesting that the heritage committee had four people opposing the demolition of the Oneroof building (the vote was 6-4). Does that building have some hidden heritage attributes that I'm not aware of?
(09-06-2018, 11:46 AM)tomh009 Wrote: It's interesting that the heritage committee had four people opposing the demolition of the Oneroof building (the vote was 6-4). Does that building have some hidden heritage attributes that I'm not aware of?

Thinking that demolition of OneRoof could put the other two houses at increased risk?
Maybe some of you folks want to apply to be on the Heritage Kitchener committee? My guess is that some of the people on it are there because they generally don't want things to change.
(09-08-2018, 01:48 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Maybe some of you folks want to apply to be on the Heritage Kitchener committee? My guess is that some of the people on it are there because they generally don't want things to change.

Good point!

Reading the terms of reference, the heritage committee only advises the council so while they may have recommended against the demolition of the two houses, the vote actually has no legal significance, it's only advice for the council.
Vive development must have bought a bunch of signs recently. There's now one on the old Joe's TV Colorama building at King and Onward.
(09-11-2018, 05:23 PM)Lens Wrote: Vive development must have bought a bunch of signs recently. There's now one on the old Joe's TV Colorama building at King and Onward.

That's 1020 King St E. Building permits have been issued for interior renovations and the reconstruction of the rear wall.

Vive certainly has a lot of projects on the go!
It's like they got a massive influx of funds and want to spend it while they have a chance haha
The Corner Pub at Charles and Ottawa has been torn down. It's neighbour has its windows ripped out and demo fencing around it.  Is this development related, ir Ottawa Street widening?
Ottawa widening at this point
Darn
I image that the work will open up a site for potential development once Ottawa has been widened.  Is the old bank building at the corner of King supposed to come down as well?
It's got the upper level windows out already, so I'm guessing so.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours Spokes 677 367,466 12-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: nms
  General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours Spokes 135 85,091 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Momo26