Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
The 8S-401E ramp is back down to one lane. Not entirely clear why.

1/2 the bridge was up on my drive into Toronto this morning, but it was too early for a picture.... I'll try to snap one on the commute home.

Coke
(09-18-2018, 07:26 AM)jamincan Wrote: The 8S-401E ramp is back down to one lane. Not entirely clear why.

Just when you were happy things were moving in the right direction.  Ugh
(09-18-2018, 07:26 AM)jamincan Wrote: The 8S-401E ramp is back down to one lane. Not entirely clear why.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I wonder if they are going to take the bad hump out.
No, it looks like it's down for a long time. They were staging equipment this morning on the Sutherland Schultz side, looked like they're getting ready to push dirt around (ie, months).
As promised...

Coke

(When I drove by this afternoon, 2 of the 4 spans on the opposite side were installed.)
Can someone explain
1) Why the NB left turn lane on Charles to WB Gaukel has been closed when only Gaukel between Charles and King is closed?
2) Why hasn't Charles at Gaukel just been set to a four-way stop? So many busses get held up there waiting for the lights to cycle when there really is no need while Gaukel is closed.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(09-30-2018, 10:23 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Can someone explain
1) Why the NB left turn lane on Charles to WB Gaukel has been closed when only Gaukel between Charles and King is closed?
2) Why hasn't Charles at Gaukel just been set to a four-way stop? So many busses get held up there waiting for the lights to cycle when there really is no need while Gaukel is closed.

For 2, I'm guessing that given the LRT and the volume on Gaukel, they require a signal...even though with the station right there, it would almost certainly be perfectly safe, and better for everyone including the LRT.

For 1...I know the construction needs the lane on Charles closed for a staging area, perhaps they wanted to align the intersection better...but I'm really just speculating here.
Thanks.

They could still leave the traffic signals tied in to the Ion signalling, but four-way flashing red at all other times.

The alignment suggestion does make a bit of sense.
(09-30-2018, 10:44 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Thanks.

They could still leave the traffic signals tied in to the Ion signalling, but four-way flashing red at all other times.

The alignment suggestion does make a bit of sense.

Oh gosh, regional transportation staff have long since decided that flashing red signals are beyond the understanding of mere human drivers.
I’d also like to know why all the lights around Victoria/Edna/Frederick/Bruce were not optimized for construction. 

Par examplé, there is no need to stop when heading EB on Victoria and turning onto Edna; you should just be able to turn to right. But that’s light spends 3 times longer red than it does green.

The most absurd though is the (former) off-ramp from 85SB to Edna; the closed exit ramp gets a green still!! So so so stupid and inefficient.

Also, while I’m ranting, Charles/Ottawa is a disaster. If you are heading NB on Charles, and want to go straight through you have to be in the left lane lane. The right lane is a right turn only onto Ottawa. But one left turning car holds up everyone. So some people are swerving around around and driving on the LRT tracks. I get why they did this; if the the left lane was a left turn lane, and they made the right lane a combined straight through/right turn lane, then it would be aligned with the outboard running LRT tracks and they would have do a chicane. BUT! this is the exact configuration at King/Allen, so it’s obviously “allowed”.

There is so much room for improvement, and it seems so little desire to make small tweaks that would make things so much better for so many people.
Similar problem on EB Queen at Weber.

Somewhat relatedly the region has a report on traffic signal modernization on Tuesday.

"Current and Emerging Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Technology"

Looks like Miovision is giving a sales pitch speaking as delegation.
Good, I’m glad Miovision will be there.

Having a camera overseeing multiple lanes makes so much more sense than inflexible permanent inductive loops.

Cameras can be installed without disruption and are totally flexible in how they are used. Data can be gained and all interfaces thus optimised. I’m all for it. Take my money!

I toured Miovision at Doors Open, very impressed with their systems.
What is the status of the Highway 8/401 interchange construction? It's even more hellish than it used to be there with the single lane restriction.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »