Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Manulife Development Project
Purely speculative? Or based on something?

Wait, was there talk of two towers? There's the silhouette of a second one to the left of this.
Looks very impressive, I hope this project comes to fruition.
(09-18-2018, 08:32 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wait, was there talk of two towers? There's the silhouette of a second one to the left of this.

Looks like someone is envisioning a potential replacement for/addition to the existing Manulife building. Who knows if it's reality, but makes sense considering Manulife's plans for their workforce.
The original rumours were suggesting a two tower project but when the news agencies started generating their articles there was only mention of a single tower concept with a potential food store at street level.
(09-19-2018, 07:37 AM)timio Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 08:32 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wait, was there talk of two towers?  There's the silhouette of a second one to the left of this.

Looks like someone is envisioning a potential replacement for/addition to the existing Manulife building. Who knows if it's reality, but makes sense considering Manulife's plans for their workforce.

I dont know, this image looks like a second tower in a connected podium
(09-18-2018, 08:32 PM)Spokes Wrote: Wait, was there talk of two towers?  There's the silhouette of a second one to the left of this.

Manulife Insurance and Manulife Real Estate are separate entities... their real estate division is alive and well.

The geometry isn't right for that - everything in this image is in the block between Joseph and Water.
(09-19-2018, 12:36 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:37 AM)timio Wrote: Looks like someone is envisioning a potential replacement for/addition to the existing Manulife building. Who knows if it's reality, but makes sense considering Manulife's plans for their workforce.

The geometry isn't right for that - everything in this image is in the block between Joseph and Water.
The block between Water and Francis, I think you meant.  Both the tower shown in the "render" and the "shadow tower" beside it would be in that block.
Francis, yes. The 'male first name' streets in that area always confuse me.
A building permit with the status "letter sent" is active for this project. It's hard to tell with some of these projects if there is actual intention of getting things moving in the near term or is it more or less to get the project "started' to qualify for the waived development fees before March 2019.

"Permit is for the foundation only of a new 25 storey mixed commercial-residential building." The applicant is Bird Construction.
Just curious about the fate of the 4 houses on the corner of that block, one on Francis and three on Joseph... Will these get torn down, or will we just have to deal with a massive skyscraper in our back yards?
(01-18-2019, 10:41 AM)dgoh0 Wrote: Just curious about the fate of the 4 houses on the corner of that block, one on Francis and three on Joseph... Will these get torn down, or will we just have to deal with a massive skyscraper in our back yards?

That's a good question.  I'm sure the preference would be for it to be the entire block, but I have no clue if Manulife has attempted to buy the four houses.

I haven't read anything specific about the houses, and a lot has changed since it was published, but an article from the Record in November, 2017 [1] includes the statement

Quote:The building would cover nearly 40 per cent of the block, mainly near the intersection of Charles and Francis streets. Surface parking will be provided on the Joseph Street side.

My guess is that the houses are not part of the development plans.

I spent a bit too much time peering at the render to try to glean hints, and I didn't come up with anything about the houses but I did notice for the first time the hints of a tower on the left side of the render and I wonder if that's any indication of plans being considered to put a tower up at the part of 25 Water between Charles and Joseph.

[1] https://www.therecord.com/news-story/796...rking-lot/
I always assumed that was a second phase of the development. The first tower coming at Charles and Francis taking up 40% of the lot, the second tower taking up the rest of the lot at a later date. But I forgot that the existing building on the other side of Water could handle extra height.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »