Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Yeah, moving the go station and track to accommodate an airport that has absolutely no demand for it, seems crazy. And it involves moving the commuter station to an area with no pedestrian traffic and makes biking there much harder.  

This is the perfect use for a bus route or even just a special as-needed shuttle.  The traffic along this section will likely never be a significant bottleneck and it’s a fast 5 minute drive.  

We can spend money way more efficiently than building rail service to the airport.

Even running a bus out there now doesn't make any sense since a lot of people are on the westjet flight that takes off at 6am and lands around midnight.
Scheduled WRoute connector!
(09-26-2018, 08:10 AM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Yeah, moving the go station and track to accommodate an airport that has absolutely no demand for it, seems crazy.

Right, ‘moving’ the hypothetical station adjacent to Fountain (or Shantz) is important because those are the roads with exits from the hypothetical new Highway 7. Airport access is just a side benefit.
(09-26-2018, 09:54 AM)clasher Wrote: Even running a bus out there now doesn't make any sense since a lot of people are on the westjet flight that takes off at 6am and lands around midnight.

I've said it before, but a nice benefit of very infrequent flights is that the airport/airline could offer a genuinely convenient shuttle to passengers. It doesn't even need to have a route - people just sign up and it does a cycle (or 2) through the area for the interested passengers.

The thing is though, that I don't think passenger demand is really the issue at this point. So even THIS solution doesn't make a lot of sense.
(09-26-2018, 10:55 AM)kps Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 08:10 AM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Yeah, moving the go station and track to accommodate an airport that has absolutely no demand for it, seems crazy.

Right, ‘moving’ the hypothetical station adjacent to Fountain (or Shantz) is important because those are the roads with exits from the hypothetical new Highway 7. Airport access is just a side benefit.

The suggested change was to "move the proposed Greenhouse Road GO station to be physically located at the airport".  That's what I was talking about not any sort of shifting along the existing railway.

Although I honestly don't see how moving the go station to be adjacent to Fountain (or Shantz) makes any meaningful difference to airport access.
(09-26-2018, 09:54 AM)clasher Wrote: Even running a bus out there now doesn't make any sense since a lot of people are on the westjet flight that takes off at 6am and lands around midnight.

I thought they changed that back to a suppertime flight

Mid afternoon, I believe, but infinitely more convenient.
The airport documents I have seen showed a spur line running down to the airport... stopping at the new terminal building. (Which would be built on the north side of the property, near the meat packaging plant). The airport's master plan calls for this being considered once we hit a million pax a year. Still a way off from there.

While the passenger numbers are low from the standpoint of having a full time bus route, there is only ONE scheduled flight per day at YKF right now. ALL of those passengers are arriving within the same hour, and departures would be in a similar time frame... a "School Special" type service could work well.

Coke
That would be a great service for one of the Bombardier TALENT Diesel sets that Ottawa isn't using anymore, just zipping back and forth between the Airport and the station up there, along that spur!
I think the hypothetical situation that the airport is planning for with a rail connection is in the larger context of the GTA airport system. In this hypothetical situation, Pearson is constrained in passenger growth, and so growth needs to be accommodated in neighbouring airports and a new Pickering airport. In this scenario, the Waterloo airport could experience significantly greater growth as it receives passengers from the western parts of the GTA.

The reality is that this scenario has been anticipated for decades now, and yet Pearson still manages to accommodate passenger growth. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean that we shouldn't plan with this scenario in the back of our minds, but I don't think it's something we should spend a lot of resources to make room for a hypothetical rail connector.
If YKF is being considered for YYZ overflow, a dedicated train connecting them could work.
But even with heavy traffic we're talking a 5-7 minute drive along the existing infrastructure. Fountain St. is very unlikely to become a major traffic bottleneck. I just can't imagine any likely scenario in the next 50 years where there is a justification for a dedicated spur line / people mover.

Edit: I guess if we're talking a line from a Go Station to a new terminal on the north side of Menno - it could make sense. But I also see almost no chance that becomes a reality in the next 50 years either.

Depending on how things play out at YYZ, it could make sense to connect YYZ and YKF by rail within 20-30 years.
The airport could just buy a shuttle bus for themselves and have a baggage handler drive the one loop per day necessary to service the WestJet flight. Flight arrives, unload baggage onto carousel, take arrived passengers to major GRT interchanges while picking up departing passengers from same, unload passengers at terminal, head around back and load checked baggage onto plane. Job done.

Until there's more than a single scheduled major commercial flight per day this would totally suffice.

(I'm sure I've just simultaneously offended baggage handlers and professional drivers alike, as nothing is ever as simple as it seems to an outsider. I am happy to learn why this wouldn't/couldn't work.)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »