Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(10-01-2018, 07:27 AM)Canard Wrote: I’d also like to know why all the lights around Victoria/Edna/Frederick/Bruce were not optimized for construction. 

Par examplé, there is no need to stop when heading EB on Victoria and turning onto Edna; you should just be able to turn to right. But that’s light spends 3 times longer red than it does green.

The most absurd though is the (former) off-ramp from 85SB to Edna; the closed exit ramp gets a green still!! So so so stupid and inefficient.

They are not ideal, but believe me they were a lot worse the first few months of construction.  They also moved the left turn lane (Frederick to Bruce) back a few times for the tractor trailers to clear that intersection.  It used to get blocked for a couple cycles of lights since nobody could move.  The wooden telephone pole on that corner is gradually turning into toothpicks.

EB on Victoria and turning right onto Edna, don't forget the truck traffic that needs to exit onto Edna from Weston's parking lot.  At least the former Petro Canada site at that intersection is somewhat 'done', traffic would get stopped  by crews regularly for the tractor trailer dirt haulers to BACK onto that site to take dirt away and bring in clean fill.

The off ramp light sequencing 85SB to Edna I believe is still needed to give a break in traffic for the other intersections.  This whole area has been a Zoo for the last 8 months or so.

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of summer road projects are behind from where they should be this late in the construction season?

Also, it seems to me like the problem of not finishing infrastructure projects on time is getting worse over time? Is that the case? Is there some sort of objective measure reported to council? If true what would be the reason? More complicated projects/older infrastructure? Inexperienced companies? Companies low-balling bids too much and then not having enough staff to get things done on time? The last few construction seasons seem to have been pretty good weather wise (early spring/late winter, few rainy days).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-11-2018, 10:36 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of summer road projects are behind from where they should be this late in the construction season?

Also, it seems to me like the problem of not finishing infrastructure projects on time is getting worse over time? Is that the case? Is there some sort of objective measure reported to council? If true what would be the reason? More complicated projects/older infrastructure? Inexperienced companies? Companies low-balling bids too much and then not having enough staff to get things done on time? The last few construction seasons seem to have been pretty good weather wise (early spring/late winter, few rainy days).

I agree with you.  The Ottawa Street rebuild that started last summer and was to be completed last fall is still not done.  They are painfully slow in completing landscaping and the top coat of pavement still hasn't been put down.  I brought this up with Scott Davey who is running for re-election in my area and his response was so predictable, it is a regional project.  I get that, but who is going to advocate for the city if the local counselor doesn't get involved and take people to task.  It is as though the Regional and City project mangers figure, oh well, just go with it !!  If the contractors are being spread to thin, then open up the tender process to more contractors and ditch the silly must be union workers aspect!!!
(10-12-2018, 09:38 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 10:36 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of summer road projects are behind from where they should be this late in the construction season?

I agree with you.  The Ottawa Street rebuild that started last summer and was to be completed last fall is still not done.  They are painfully slow in completing landscaping and the top coat of pavement still hasn't been put down.  I brought this up with Scott Davey who is running for re-election in my area and his response was so predictable, it is a regional project.  I get that, but who is going to advocate for the city if the local counselor doesn't get involved and take people to task.  It is as though the Regional and City project mangers figure, oh well, just go with it !!  If the contractors are being spread to thin, then open up the tender process to more contractors and ditch the silly must be union workers aspect!!!
Only the province can do anything about the "must be union workers" aspect. There's also the factor of a labour shortage within the construction industry that is also difficult to address.
(10-12-2018, 09:50 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:38 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I agree with you.  The Ottawa Street rebuild that started last summer and was to be completed last fall is still not done.  They are painfully slow in completing landscaping and the top coat of pavement still hasn't been put down.  I brought this up with Scott Davey who is running for re-election in my area and his response was so predictable, it is a regional project.  I get that, but who is going to advocate for the city if the local counselor doesn't get involved and take people to task.  It is as though the Regional and City project mangers figure, oh well, just go with it !!  If the contractors are being spread to thin, then open up the tender process to more contractors and ditch the silly must be union workers aspect!!!
Only the province can do anything about the "must be union workers" aspect. There's also the factor of a labour shortage within the construction industry that is also difficult to address.

Which is why we need to get rid of contracts that require union labour...
(10-12-2018, 10:05 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:50 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Only the province can do anything about the "must be union workers" aspect. There's also the factor of a labour shortage within the construction industry that is also difficult to address.

Which is why we need to get rid of contracts that require union labour...

getting rid of the requirements for union labour won't help that either. The labour shortage is systemic and affects non-union shops as much or more than union shops.
I like how the answer to labour shortages isn't "pay them more to make it a desirable job" but "stop requiring union labour so we can exploit more desperate people".

(10-12-2018, 09:50 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:38 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I agree with you.  The Ottawa Street rebuild that started last summer and was to be completed last fall is still not done.  They are painfully slow in completing landscaping and the top coat of pavement still hasn't been put down.  I brought this up with Scott Davey who is running for re-election in my area and his response was so predictable, it is a regional project.  I get that, but who is going to advocate for the city if the local counselor doesn't get involved and take people to task.  It is as though the Regional and City project mangers figure, oh well, just go with it !!  If the contractors are being spread to thin, then open up the tender process to more contractors and ditch the silly must be union workers aspect!!!

I've heard this is a particularly large issue here, but don't know how true that is.
(10-12-2018, 10:22 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I like how the answer to labour shortages isn't "pay them more to make it a desirable job" but "stop requiring union labour so we can exploit more desperate people".

Just to be clear, I would never advocate for people not getting compensated appropriately for their work !!!  Never would I want that.  I am trying to look at the labour market from a different perspective.  I just dont understand why the need for government jobs do be handled differently than the private sector,  that all.

That was a big jump on conclusions...
(10-12-2018, 10:22 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I like how the answer to labour shortages isn't "pay them more to make it a desirable job" but "stop requiring union labour so we can exploit more desperate people".

Well said, and a sad state of affairs.
Ottawa from Trussler to David Bergey is behind schedule and will likely not be complete by end of year: https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/whatson-sto...into-2019/
How far into the winter can they do utility work like that? Especially for curing concrete and laying asphalt...
(10-13-2018, 10:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: How far into the winter can they do utility work like that? Especially for curing concrete and laying asphalt...

If you heat a tent around the concrete you can do it in the dead of winter if you really wanted to.

As we learned on King Street, of course. Excellent point.
(10-13-2018, 10:22 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 10:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: How far into the winter can they do utility work like that? Especially for curing concrete and laying asphalt...

If you heat a tent around the concrete you can do it in the dead of winter if you really wanted to.

It'll certainly give us a lot to talk about Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »