Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lime Scooter Share
I used it on a iPhone on Saturday. No issues at all. It was fun. I spent $3 and have a bunch of coupons. Would ride again.

I like this review of the experience:

I used it again on Wednesday to shorten the walk from the bus stop. The Android app got an update a few days ago and worked perfectly this time. I still wish it used metric units rather than imperial when used in Canada. Maybe there's a setting I need to flip, haven't checked...
(10-19-2018, 07:53 AM)KevinT Wrote: I used it again on Wednesday to shorten the walk from the bus stop.  The Android app got an update a few days ago and worked perfectly this time.  I still wish it used metric units rather than imperial when used in Canada.  Maybe there's a setting I need to flip, haven't checked...

Ironically, at least on my device, the number is in imperial, but a metric unit signifier is given.  The scooters have a range of 37 miles, and yet, always are shown as 37 km.
(10-19-2018, 07:53 AM)KevinT Wrote: I used it again on Wednesday to shorten the walk from the bus stop.  The Android app got an update a few days ago and worked perfectly this time.  I still wish it used metric units rather than imperial when used in Canada.  Maybe there's a setting I need to flip, haven't checked...

SI should be required to be the default, by law. If they want to give the option of using a non-standard system, that should be up to them.

Same for every device distributed in this country which deals with temperature e.g. stoves, refrigeration devices, thermostats, ….

It’s amazing to me how absolutely clueless Americans are to the measurement system that literally the entire rest of the world uses.
I grew up in the US and metric was taught often. It's just that I didn't know I would move here 15 years after graduating so I never paid attention once the test was over.

Anyway, new features are coming. https://mashable.com/article/lime-scoote...9vd2bnZgqa
Will we get that model in the new year, then?
I can't imagine we would - our pilot is 100 scooters this year, and 150 next year. That's a drop in the bucket compared to everywhere else, and since we're a pilot I imagine we'd just get hand-me-downs from other cities.
According to the article,

Quote:It's coming out in some cities next month and will roll out to every city Lime operates in (currently more than 100) in early 2019.
Well if it was right there why did the question get asked then, lol.

I couldn't resist, I took another scooter ride just for fun at lunch today, from R&T Park to Laurier-Waterloo Park.

As I came back up and crossed at University Ave, I didn't dismount, although I did propel the scooter by foot rather than riding it.  As I reached the north side and continued on the MUT, I overhead the three people standing beside the usual religious propaganda stand discussing the fact that I didn't dismount.  I wonder if they were official pilot reviewers, or just disgruntled "Old Man Yells at Cloud" types who's letter to the editor shall be forthcoming?

Reference:  https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/old-man-yells-at-cloud

[Image: 297.png]

Oh, I also discovered the 'Pause Ride' feature, which I used when dismounting my scooter to film an ION coming Northbound through Waterloo Park.  Another Android bug:  When I swiped back to the app to resume my ride it showed the usual screen that showed my location beside a single convenient scooter with a Scan to Ride button.  I clicked it and scanned my scooter, and got the message that the scooter was locked to another user.  I immediately felt that gut punch / sick to the stomach feeling, thinking that I would have to resume my trip by foot while getting charged endlessly for my locked/paused scooter.  After dismissing the message, lo and behold the screen had changed to the GPS map with one lone scooter, and a Resume Ride button in place of Scan to Ride.  I tapped it and the scooter faithfully unlocked, allowing me to make my return trip.  These glitches are frustrating, but at least they haven't cost me any money so far...
PBOT published a survey (as reported on by Bike Portland) of e-Scooter riders with some interesting results.

https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/22/city...lts-291323

Fairly standout to me is that apparently a third of users are using them to commute, I understand the prices are somewhat lower in the US, but I'm still a little surprised by this.

Additionally, it seems they are replacing many vehicle trips, which is a good thing for sure. Not surprisingly, we have a large gender imbalance as well.

Riding on sidewalks is not preferred, which should not come as a surprise given the unpleasantness of riding on the sidewalk. I will also add, this probably applies to cyclists as well, at least any cyclists with a broad enough experience to know the alternatives to sidewalk or busy road with no or poor infra.

As a result, this could provide another constituency in favour of good bike infrastructure, which is never a bad thing.

In related news, for kicks, tomorrow I will attempt to add a kick scooter (haha) to my commute, I've only ever used it as a toy before, but given how cheap they are compared with the surprising cost of the lime scooters, I thought I'd give it a try. Given it's foot powered, it'll also be a lot more exercise than escooters. Given my commute is 5km at it's shortest, and 6-7 to stick to paved trails, I'm thinking it's going to be a little long, but we shall see.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »