Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kitchener City Council Election Discussion
(09-30-2018, 10:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 08:34 PM)darts Wrote: Maybe building sidewalks is a mistake, you make a good case for why they should be removed.

Maybe we should remove both the roads and the sidewalks. That way neither one will need to be plowed, and no one will complain about the lack of snow removal.

Snowmobiles for all!!

(09-30-2018, 10:56 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 10:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maybe we should remove both the roads and the sidewalks. That way neither one will need to be plowed, and no one will complain about the lack of snow removal.

Snowmobiles for all!!

*shrugs*...my cottage does perfectly fine without road access...I'm sure everyone else can manage too.
Scott Davey is my councillor. In general, I like him and he seems to support a lot of the things I support, but I have two concerns that likely mean I won't vote to re-elect him.

That support seems to be nominal is some cases. In principal he likes the idea of stuff like sidewalk clearing or bike networks and so on, but when it comes down to it, he's not really willing to spend the money to support those initiatives. When he's the one holding the purse-strings, that's problematic.

My second concern is that he seems too entrenched in the present way of doing things. He doesn't see, for example, that the cost of planning and studying a Cycling Master Plan for the city massively outstripping the actual money used to implement is highly problematic. That's partly him being an incumbent and feeling a need to be defensive about the present situation, but I want someone who can critically look at what has been done and identify ways to improve it. I want someone that says "this is a priority for me" and then follows through with it and figures out how to do it. Saying Guelph and London have had struggles with their programs, then shrugging your shoulders and putting up with the status quo is completely unacceptable. Instead, use their experience as a lesson and improve on it.
For me, it's all about having an actual vision, and then making sure it's executed the way you want it to be.
Growth is the biggest issue in the Kitchener election:  https://www.therecord.com/news-story/895...w-council/

Well one of the issues.  But hard to disagree.
(10-10-2018, 10:48 PM)Spokes Wrote: Growth is the biggest issue in the Kitchener election:  https://www.therecord.com/news-story/895...w-council/

Etherington said "All we're getting is gentrification and high-cost condos adjacent to the LRT. We're not even getting much in the way of rental housing for mid-range incomes." And yet he voted down the Vive project on Queen St, which would have been mid-market rental, with a handful of affordable units.

I hope Melissa Bowman is successful in Ward 9.
(10-11-2018, 12:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 10:48 PM)Spokes Wrote: Growth is the biggest issue in the Kitchener election:  https://www.therecord.com/news-story/895...w-council/

Etherington said "All we're getting is gentrification and high-cost condos adjacent to the LRT. We're not even getting much in the way of rental housing for mid-range incomes." And yet he voted down the Vive project on Queen St, which would have been mid-market rental, with a handful of affordable units.

Indeed.  All who voted against that project cannot call themselves supporters of affordable housing.

The heritage value of the homes is near zero--the only feature they have is that they're old, the affordability value was reasonably high--the project would likely include affordable housing and itself would be a midrange development.

If they voted against it, then affordability clearly takes a second seat to even the remotest of heritage concerns.

I'm so happy he's moving on.
Please tell all your Ward 9 friends to vote! Smile
(10-11-2018, 01:13 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 12:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Etherington said "All we're getting is gentrification and high-cost condos adjacent to the LRT. We're not even getting much in the way of rental housing for mid-range incomes." And yet he voted down the Vive project on Queen St, which would have been mid-market rental, with a handful of affordable units.

Indeed.  All who voted against that project cannot call themselves supporters of affordable housing.

The heritage value of the homes is near zero--the only feature they have is that they're old, the affordability value was reasonably high--the project would likely include affordable housing and itself would be a midrange development.

If they voted against it, then affordability clearly takes a second seat to even the remotest of heritage concerns.

And many of these same councilors were okay to destroy two perfectly fine heritage homes that people were actual living in for a community garden and some more grass. I don't understand the priorities of these people sometimes.
(10-11-2018, 04:27 PM)clasher Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 01:13 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Indeed.  All who voted against that project cannot call themselves supporters of affordable housing.

And many of these same councilors were okay to destroy two perfectly fine heritage homes that people were actual living in for a community garden and some more grass. I don't understand the priorities of these people sometimes.

Indeed.

I happen to agree with that decision, but it's clearly inconsistent.  Those were homes in a neighbourhood of heritage homes, far more legitimate argument for keeping them.

And as you say, they had people living in them, so again, housing clearly a second priority to heritage.
(10-11-2018, 03:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Please tell all your Ward 9 friends to vote! Smile

Safe to say this is going to be the race with the most hype?
Voted tonight at the advance poll. Vote counter showed 497 votes, which apparently is a good turnout for the advance poll (this is for City Hall location only).

With the revelation that a Ward 7 candidate was campaigning outside of the advance polls, does there seem to be more shady activity by candidates this election than in the past?

Candidates trying to get away with things only to play dumb or ask forgiveness when caught?
So I am watching the debate on Rogers TV for ward 9. Tia Driver opens her pitch with. "Unlike others here I have the education to to serve you well ". Then goes on to provide her C.V. With is mostly educational based. I can't believe she just felt she is better because she is working on her Masters. Wow. I am no in ward 9 but I sure wouldn't vote for her based on her view point.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »