Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
The trail/road makers never got any fix for the ponding that happens on the south side of Wilhelm on the West side of Weber, where the Spur Line Trail goes into the multi-use trail. It ponds, and in winter freezes into ice, which is horrible for any trail user.

Do owners of trees have to clean the leaves off of public property? Roadways, sidewalks, and multi-use trails? Thinking about this in light of wet leaves all over many parts of the Spur Line Trail.
(10-31-2018, 11:19 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Do owners of trees have to clean the leaves off of public property? Roadways, sidewalks, and multi-use trails? Thinking about this in light of wet leaves all over many parts of the Spur Line Trail.

I can't imagine this would be the case, leaves blow around. And as far as the trails, many trees are on public property.

I think the city generally cleans leaves off roads, but not trails or sidewalks.
(10-31-2018, 11:18 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The trail/road makers never got any fix for the ponding that happens on the south side of Wilhelm on the West side of Weber, where the Spur Line Trail goes into the multi-use trail. It ponds, and in winter freezes into ice, which is horrible for any trail user.

I use this pretty frequently, but I don't recall encountering any ponding/ice there though.  Was this on the spur line?
(10-30-2018, 05:41 PM)KevinL Wrote: I hope there's clear signage on Philip indicating where it leads.

The signage on Phillip has been there, preceding the trail by a couple of years.
(10-31-2018, 09:45 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 09:35 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: I am extremely disappointed that the ponding issues on the IHT have not been resolved with its reconstruction. It would have been so easy to put a slight slope or bevel on the trail along with the occasional small culvert under some of the wetter spots, like near Cherry. Perhaps the city could still get it fixed under warranty (like the unplanted $1000 tree that is rotting near Cherry).

You've got to be kidding Sad.

Can you send me a photo?  I'd like to pass it onto the planner at the city, or you can do so directly as well.

Thanks,
-Daniel

I plan to let the city know my thoughts directly as well, but here is a photo.

Keep in mind that we had a pretty steady, but gradual rain this morning; no catastrophic downpours.

Yet, this was the state of the trail 5 hours AFTER the rain had stopped.

The worst spot was near Cherry, but there were at least two other spots of pooling. One near the trail in to the Trio complex, and between Gage and the tracks.

The tree that never got planted was parallel to the trail for the longest time, but has recently been chucked further in to the bush (sorry rain on by 2MB lense does not make for a good photo):

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Yeah thats bad. What the heck !! waste of money and resources...

I wonder why permeable asphalt isn't used for more trails around here... but that spot up near the Trio really needs some drainage to get water down to the storm sewers or into the creek.
(10-31-2018, 10:08 PM)clasher Wrote: I wonder why permeable asphalt isn't used for more trails around here... but that spot up near the Trio really needs some drainage to get water down to the storm sewers or into the creek.

I don't think permeable asphalt would make much of a difference. The surface area of the trail is small compared with roads around, and you can see the ground itself is saturated, that's why water is pooling even on the ground.  It's not that the asphalt trail is forming a bowl, we simply need proper drainage.

Using permeable paving on the roads or sidewalks could make a big difference, but it's pretty expensive.
Wow. That's bad. HUGE oversight.
I really don't think this is a difficult problem to fix. The pavement is fine, but the ground is saturated and there is no drainage. It should be fairly easy to provide the drainage, simply digging a small ditch should enable the water to drain away from the pavement. A day of work, maybe two if they want to use concrete pavers etc for the drainage ditch.
(11-01-2018, 10:49 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I really don't think this is a difficult problem to fix. The pavement is fine, but the ground is saturated and there is no drainage. It should be fairly easy to provide the drainage, simply digging a small ditch should enable the water to drain away from the pavement. A day of work, maybe two if they want to use concrete pavers etc for the drainage ditch.

I don't think it's that simple, the water has to go somewhere, digging a ditch would just make a ditch for the water to collect in, eventually there'd be enough water to fill the ditch.
I think the problem stems from water draining off the parking lot of the apartments on Patricia that were probably built before you had to institute on-site storm water management practices.

To me the only solutions are to either prevent that water from reaching the trail by redirecting to Patricia or holding it longer on site to allow for infiltration or allow the water to pass under the trail via a culvert or weeping tile to Cherry.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

The ditch would work.  We did something similar at our house.  Even better would be a french drain if there's something to drain into near by

[Image: uvs110620-001.jpg]
I'm sorry but I have to share this because it kills me and seems somewhat relevant:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »