Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Glove Box | 6 fl | U/C
The Glove Box
120 Victoria Street South, Kitchener
Momentum Developments

A couple more great renderings of the office component of the Garment Street complex.

Front of Building

Main Entrance

Building Overview

Rear Entrance

More images can be found here
This looks like it will be a really nice addition to the Innovation District of DTK and also an anchor building to the little newly made street that will run along and behind it to the entrances of Garment St. condos and One Hundred condos. Is there any other commercial project in the region quite like this where they have maintained the bulk (or all) of the original building and built a more modern office space over?
Not sure what it is at the moment (CIGI?), but the Seagram building on Erb & Caroline would qualify I think?
(11-01-2018, 01:48 PM)jamincan Wrote: Not sure what it is at the moment (CIGI?), but the Seagram building on Erb & Caroline would qualify I think?

That has Shopify offices.

But nothing's been added above it, it has its original roofline.
My hope is that this sets a usable precedent for how to use and integrate heritage buildings into great developments so we can see more of that happen
(11-01-2018, 03:02 PM)Spokes Wrote: My hope is that this sets a usable precedent for how to use and integrate heritage buildings into great developments so we can see more of that happen

I think what they are doing at the Gaslight District in Galt will set precedence. The old touch is really well done there. Is there enough other stuff and business to support a booming Galt though I wonder?

(11-01-2018, 03:20 PM)Momo26 Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 03:02 PM)Spokes Wrote: My hope is that this sets a usable precedent for how to use and integrate heritage buildings into great developments so we can see more of that happen

I think what they are doing at the Gaslight District in Galt will set precedence. The old touch is really well done there. Is there enough other stuff and business to support a booming Galt though I wonder?

The old and new buildings at the Gaslight District are not really integrated, though. In that respect this definitely looks like a new benchmark.

There are a handful of integrated projects but not to this extent: Google (new office space is to the side), CIGI (same), Bread & Roses (residential, to the side) and Arrow Lofts (residential, new extensions on side and top).
There have been some in Cambridge, like the Hespeler Library. I think the old post office and the Cambridge Mill were similar too.

UW also did something similar with EV3, though the building being on top of/over wasn't quite as old.
Cambridge City Hall too
The new part of the Cambridge city hall is connected to the old one, so somewhat similar to the ones I listed. Hespeler library completely encloses the old structure so it's a different scenario.
(11-01-2018, 04:52 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There have been some in Cambridge, like the Hespeler Library. I think the old post office and the Cambridge Mill were similar too.

UW also did something similar with EV3, though the building being on top of/over wasn't quite as old.

Also at UW, STC, and courtyard fill-in of HH somewhat carelessly called the “Arts Student Space Expansion”.
Well, I guess a new concept or not, it should make for a magnificent addition to DTK and the innovation district. Is there any plans for anything right across the street from Glove Box? It is one block away from the closest of the innovation district, Deloitte, right.

(11-02-2018, 11:04 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Well, I guess a new concept or not, it should make for a magnificent addition to DTK and the innovation district. Is there any plans for anything right across the street from Glove Box? It is one block away from the closest of the innovation district, Deloitte, right.

I think immediately across the street actually has a ton of development potential.  With what looks like a brick and beam building and a big surface lot, the footprint of the property could easily hold a nice sized development.  A little north in that block are mostly single family homes or buildings of similar size.
That's a possibility. Beyond that immediate vicinity, I do not think we can expect development to continue down Victoria towards Westmount. Is Garment likely to be the Northmost development on Victoria?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »