Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
Especially given the age of the population. That was likely a church for many for lots and lots of years (not that it wouldn't impact younger attendees as well, just not for as long)

I'm the first one to get excited about new, shiny, tall things, and advocate ripping things down to build them, but there's usually a human element involved too.

Trinity United Church has been burning all night long.  Flames are still visible.
The back part of the church is still smoking but most of the firefighters have left.

Taken at 7:40 AM.

I thought the church demolition was farther along for some reason.

Were they big flames? Safe to assume just a fire for warmth got out of hand?
(11-15-2018, 09:18 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought the church demolition was farther along for some reason.

Were they big flames?  Safe to assume just a fire for warmth got out of hand?

The chapel is mostly demolished as you can see in the middle of the pic.  The church itself was mainly intact until this fire.  I have no idea how it started but I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.  I suspect this will make demolition more difficult.
The radio report I heard this morning says that firefighters found some folks sleeping in the church. They were safely evacuated. The fire for warmth theory seems sound.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ch-1123021

(11-15-2018, 09:29 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 09:18 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought the church demolition was farther along for some reason.

Were they big flames?  Safe to assume just a fire for warmth got out of hand?

The chapel is mostly demolished as you can see in the middle of the pic.  The church itself was mainly intact until this fire.  I have no idea how it started but I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.  I suspect this will make demolition more difficult.

Why's that?
(11-15-2018, 09:56 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 09:29 AM)jgsz Wrote: The chapel is mostly demolished as you can see in the middle of the pic.  The church itself was mainly intact until this fire.  I have no idea how it started but I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.  I suspect this will make demolition more difficult.

Why's that?

? I’m not an engineer.  So I’m speculatig that the fire may have weakened some walls or support beams that may make demolition tricky.
Fires always need investigating, that alone changes the scenario significantly.
(11-15-2018, 10:55 AM)BrianT Wrote: Those homeless people are geniuses. Light a fire in a wooden building to keep warm. What could possibly go wrong? I wonder if they'll be charged with arson?

Not if they started it to keep warm and it got out of hand. An arson charge would need to prove criminal intent. And honestly I'd be looking to sleep in an abandoned building if I were homeless... and I'd probably be inclined to start a small fire... I have no idea what it's like to be cold for a week straight.
I really hope that this does not significantly delay the project.
(11-15-2018, 11:24 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I really hope that this does not significantly delay the project.

I really doubt that. They may have to be more careful demolishing that section, but that should not give any significant time stretch.

(11-15-2018, 11:20 AM)clasher Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 10:55 AM)BrianT Wrote: Those homeless people are geniuses. Light a fire in a wooden building to keep warm. What could possibly go wrong? I wonder if they'll be charged with arson?

Not if they started it to keep warm and it got out of hand. An arson charge would need to prove criminal intent. And honestly I'd be looking to sleep in an abandoned building if I were homeless... and I'd probably be inclined to start a small fire... I have no idea what it's like to be cold for a week straight.

Exactly this.

If, and that's a big if, they wanted to lay charges, it would be trespassing.
(11-15-2018, 11:46 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 11:20 AM)clasher Wrote: Not if they started it to keep warm and it got out of hand. An arson charge would need to prove criminal intent. And honestly I'd be looking to sleep in an abandoned building if I were homeless... and I'd probably be inclined to start a small fire... I have no idea what it's like to be cold for a week straight.

Exactly this.

If, and that's a big if, they wanted to lay charges, it would be trespassing.

At best, it would offer a way to get them off the streets for the winter, but that's not the way things are done.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »