Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-06-2018, 01:45 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Now that all the pressure is off them, I bet you will see a dramatic decrease in the frequency of trains out and about.

not likely. They are ramping up still

They've hired those drivers, better have them doing something.
(11-06-2018, 12:46 PM)Canard Wrote: (...and I should say I bet I am the only person thrilled by this news!!)

I bet you are the only one thrilled by these news because you are not planning to use it as your every day commute option, like so many of us will. The iXpress 200 is already over capacity at peak times, it's terrible. The region needs the system running asap.
*Flips Tables*

Tongue
Well at least it'll be nice out for the photo op at the grand launch Wink
(11-06-2018, 03:06 PM)Spokes Wrote: Well at least it'll be nice out for the photo op at the grand launch Wink

Yes,  the weather is usually pretty nice in late June...
Again, terrible terrible news. Yet another disappointment, plus it's such a low brow act to wait a couple weeks after elections to make the announcement when they knew perfectly well that there would be a delay. Agh. I'm actually pissed.

This is very frustrating.  Also, this is no way to to sell an LRT system to other cities.
(11-06-2018, 04:43 PM)jgsz Wrote: This is very frustrating.  Also, this is no way to to sell an LRT system to other cities.

Exactly, it is fuel to cancel more projects. Surrey, Hamilton, etc... what a mess. Plus I keep hearing more and more things like "start an investigation on this politician and this other one! they are stealing the money! they should be in jail!". It is definitely dividing and making people very angry. Just terrible management.
(11-06-2018, 12:46 PM)Canard Wrote: (...and I should say I bet I am the only person thrilled by this news!!)

Why are you thrilled? Would you be even happier if it was 2020? 2021? 2022? Hell, why not 2080 when all of us are dead.

Really nothing to be thrilled about this delay. Not for the taxpayer, not for any potential user. We're basically paying an additional 2 years of property taxes for nothing. Not only that, I can see phase two being in serious jeopardy, with Cambridge simply not wanting it and not willing to help pay for phase 2. In fact, I can see Cambridge getting off the hook in the next round of elections, with some sort of rebate going to them from Kitchener-Waterloo.

So my thoughts: Phase 2 is going to die. And the LRT will not be ready for spring (unless by spring they mean summer). That said, I wouldn't be shocked for an early 2020 start, but I am calling for a start late next year or early 2020.

On topic, I did call this; I said if there was another delay we wouldn't about it until *after* the election. There seems to be a serious lack of communication between Grandlink, Bombardier, the GRT and the politicians. Someone knew last year that this LRT would not be ready this year. I really can't see how it was only a few of us here that called it, but it is what it is.
(11-06-2018, 04:16 PM)urbd Wrote: Again, terrible terrible news. Yet another disappointment, plus it's such a low brow act to wait a couple weeks after elections to make the announcement when they knew perfectly well that there would be a delay. Agh. I'm actually pissed.

I've said it a few times now, but it's clear the launch date of December was a lie the last time they said it, and as a voter, I feel that I was mislead.  Frankly, its unacceptable.
As I’ve stated before, I’m happy because I want opening day to be in the spring, summer or fall. Not the winter. It’s like a wedding, I don’t want it to be shitty out. YMMV.

Perspective: DC’s Streetcar was nine years late.

The only thing anyone should be angry about is how misleading the Region is being about what the prinary reason of the delay is.

PS - urbd (?), you don't really know anything about me, so I'll thank you to keep your guesses what what my commuting patterns are to yourself. I'm actually planing on using the LRT/BRT plus my bike next year to commute to work more regularly, which also satisfies my desire for a train ride each day. Smile I get you're upset, but no need to take it out on me just because I have a different feeling than you do about something.
(11-06-2018, 05:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 04:16 PM)urbd Wrote: Again, terrible terrible news. Yet another disappointment, plus it's such a low brow act to wait a couple weeks after elections to make the announcement when they knew perfectly well that there would be a delay. Agh. I'm actually pissed.

I've said it a few times now, but it's clear the launch date of December was a lie the last time they said it, and as a voter, I feel that I was mislead.  Frankly, its unacceptable.

Except the launch date wasn't a lie. It's a classic case of "it shouldn't take too long to do" then opening up the cardboard boxes and realizing there's more parts to put together than you thought. Frankly most of the work Bombardier has to do now is debug the code they wrote to integrate the new hardware with the train operating software, which they are actively doing with 511 as I type this. Once Bombardier is confident that a hardware event isn't going to just disable the train, we will start seeing the rest of the equipped trains out.

EDIT: To further add to the delay, the equipment wasn't available for Bombardier to install until the middle of summer

Honestly though, how have individuals at the region (including councillors) not lost their jobs for this? We're talking 2 year delay. We're talking about crazy levels of poor planning (lack of bike lanes, the level of visual intrusion along King in Midtown, the installation of Beg Buttons, and let's not forget Erb and Caroline that is now a proper mess).

As far as I know almost everyone involved remains on the project. And very few incumbents have lost their seat.
(11-06-2018, 05:32 PM)welltoldtales Wrote: Honestly though, how have individuals at the region (including councillors) not lost their jobs for this? We're talking 2 year delay. We're talking about crazy levels of poor planning (lack of bike lanes, the level of visual intrusion along King in Midtown, the installation of Beg Buttons, and let's not forget Erb and Caroline that is now a proper mess).

As far as I know almost everyone involved remains on the project. And very few incumbents have lost their seat.

It's only a year and a half. Construction was set to end in early 2017 and service start in late 2017
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »