Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The corrosion issues only impact frames made in Mexico. Ions were not made in Mexico and shouldn't have the same issue.

(11-06-2018, 06:27 PM)timio Wrote: The corrosion issues only impact frames made in Mexico.  Ions were not made in Mexico and shouldn't have the same issue.

They weren't corrosion issues either they were welding defects.
(11-06-2018, 05:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I've said it a few times now, but it's clear the launch date of December was a lie the last time they said it, and as a voter, I feel that I was mislead.  Frankly, its unacceptable.

[Image: 7ac6c18b1bca53b88bbd8cd25a68a327396adce1...07a4c6.jpg]
(11-06-2018, 06:30 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 06:27 PM)timio Wrote: The corrosion issues only impact frames made in Mexico.  Ions were not made in Mexico and shouldn't have the same issue.

They weren't corrosion issues either they were welding defects.

Yes, welding defects by Bombardier:

"There is also no word on whether serious welding defects discovered in Toronto Transit Commission streetcars built by Bombardier are also present in the region's LRT vehicles." (July 2018)

Does this affect us?
(11-06-2018, 05:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 04:16 PM)urbd Wrote: Again, terrible terrible news. Yet another disappointment, plus it's such a low brow act to wait a couple weeks after elections to make the announcement when they knew perfectly well that there would be a delay. Agh. I'm actually pissed.

I've said it a few times now, but it's clear the launch date of December was a lie the last time they said it, and as a voter, I feel that I was mislead.  Frankly, its unacceptable.

Well, after watching the news today, and perhaps I am reading into it, but apparently the ROW was setting a deadline of December to put fire to the feet of Bombardier. So most likely both the ROW and Bombardier knew that December was a unrealistic target date; rather, it was one of hope.
(11-06-2018, 05:57 PM)jeffster Wrote: BTW: I'll ask one last time; either I missed the answer or it hasn't been answer. The corrosion issues that the TTC discovered because of the faulty design and workmanship by Bombardier, does the Ion have the same problem? Or do we not know the answer to that?

The answer to that has not been made public.

(11-06-2018, 06:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Canard really, really wants a launch in nice weather! Smile

True statement. I've waited years for this perfect day, and I'll be damned if it'll happen on a shitty, dreary grey day in the freezing cold.

(11-06-2018, 06:26 PM)jeffster Wrote: My opinion is that it is selfish to be 'thrilled' about a delay that affects every person in the try-city area. Not only that, though, not guarantee that Canard will get what he wants.

I've obviously said something that has really, really offended or upset you - I'm very sorry. I'll go back to taking pictures and keeping my mouth shut...
(11-06-2018, 07:18 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 06:30 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: They weren't corrosion issues either they were welding defects.

Yes, welding defects by Bombardier:

"There is also no word on whether serious welding defects discovered in Toronto Transit Commission streetcars built by Bombardier are also present in the region's LRT vehicles." (July 2018)

Does this affect us?

My understanding is that all those defects were in frames welded in Mexico; all of our frames were welded in Canada.

(11-06-2018, 07:27 PM)Canard Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 05:57 PM)jeffster Wrote: BTW: I'll ask one last time; either I missed the answer or it hasn't been answer. The corrosion issues that the TTC discovered because of the faulty design and workmanship by Bombardier, does the Ion have the same problem? Or do we not know the answer to that?

The answer to that has not been made public.

Thanks....I wonder why they're keeping it secret tho.
(11-06-2018, 07:21 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 05:00 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I've said it a few times now, but it's clear the launch date of December was a lie the last time they said it, and as a voter, I feel that I was mislead.  Frankly, its unacceptable.

Well, after watching the news today, and perhaps I am reading into it, but apparently the ROW was setting a deadline of December to put fire to the feet of Bombardier.  So most likely both the ROW and Bombardier knew that December was a unrealistic target date; rather, it was one of hope.

I don't think Bombardier has so much to do with it at this point. It's the region's system (since the Metrolinx system went MIA) that needs to be integrated and debugged.
]
(11-06-2018, 06:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think Bombardier has so much to do with it at this point. It's the region's system (since the Metrolinx system went MIA) that needs to be integrated and debugged.

This can't be stressed enough. The media still haven't latched onto this crucial fact. Our trains have been in a holding pattern since last February (when they were all almost complete), waiting on someone, anyone, to make a decision about what would fill the hole in the dash. A decision that should have been made years ago.
(11-06-2018, 06:48 PM)KevinT Wrote:

[Image: 7ac6c18b1bca53b88bbd8cd25a68a327396adce1...07a4c6.jpg]

That isn't what I said.

What I said was that Regional Staff and/or Regional Council *KNEW* that the December deadline/estimate had been missed before the election and yet chose to hide that information.

I'm mad the deadline/estimate was missed.

I'm *MORE* mad that I feel I have been mislead by people in our government.

@Jeffster And yes, that estimate/deadline may have been optimistic, but regional staff/council claimed it was still possible, when clearly they knew it was not.
(11-06-2018, 07:27 PM)Canard Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 06:26 PM)jeffster Wrote: My opinion is that it is selfish to be 'thrilled' about a delay that affects every person in the try-city area. Not only that, though, not guarantee that Canard will get what he wants.

I've obviously said something that has really, really offended or upset you - I'm very sorry.  I'll go back to taking pictures and keeping my mouth shut...

I would say it’s weird to want a later opening, for any reason. A likelihood of nicer weather is just an “on the plus side” feature of opening later.

It’s pretty ridiculous if anybody is still blaming Bombardier for this part of the delay. It’s clear they’ve got their act together now.
(11-06-2018, 07:54 PM)Canard Wrote: ]
(11-06-2018, 06:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I don't think Bombardier has so much to do with it at this point. It's the region's system (since the Metrolinx system went MIA) that needs to be integrated and debugged.

This can't be stressed enough.  The media still haven't latched onto this crucial fact.  Our trains have been in a holding pattern since last February (when they were all almost complete), waiting on someone, anyone, to make a decision about what would fill the hole in the dash.  A decision that should have been made years ago.

It's funny reading all of the media reports and tweets missing the facts.

Mike Willner is planning on taking it to the Bombardier COO tomorrow morning which should be interesting hah.

I feel horrible for asking, but who is that? Can you link or post to the article/interview once it is complete?
(11-06-2018, 10:21 PM)Canard Wrote: I feel horrible for asking, but who is that?  Can you link or post to the article/interview once it is complete?

I know of a Mike Wilner that works the Blue Jays radio broadcast. Perhaps this is a side gig of his....

But in all seriousness, I have no idea who this Mike Willner is...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »