Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-06-2018, 07:27 PM)Canard Wrote: True statement.  I've waited years for this perfect day, and I'll be damned if it'll happen on a shitty, dreary grey day in the freezing cold.

Well you had better brace yourself, you can get some pretty miserable April, even May, days.

What, no Ottawa LRT vs. Waterloo LRT "hold my beer" meme yet? I guess Ottawa is the front runner to open first again?

Interesting that the report characterizes the specialized equipment as GrandLinq’s:
“As part of the Project, GrandLinq is responsible for ensuring the finished vehicle integrates seamlessly with the built system.
“The Region has finalized an agreement with Bombardier to install GrandLinq’s on-board equipment and to make the necessary onboard modifications to accommodate the equipment on each train.”

Does anyone know the nature of the problems caused by the software?
“Training of drivers has been delayed by vehicle reliability issues (it is expected that the next computer software upgrade will resolve the issues).”

Perhaps they should have spent less time on the flux-capacitor and time travel capabilities of the LRVs and more time on the on-board equipment:
“An ION vehicle has been present at some upcoming community events, with further events scheduled.”

Interesting that 504 is still at 51% completion of the on-board equipment – same as in September.

The report says that driver training has been delayed. So until the issue is resolved I would expect the same level of testing.
“Training of drivers has been delayed by vehicle reliability issues (it is expected that the next computer software upgrade will resolve the issues).”
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(11-06-2018, 10:33 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 10:21 PM)Canard Wrote: I feel horrible for asking, but who is that?  Can you link or post to the article/interview once it is complete?

I know of a Mike Wilner that works the Blue Jays radio broadcast.  Perhaps this is a side gig of his....

But in all seriousness, I have no idea who this Mike Willner is...

Mike Farwell not Mike Wilner
The repeatedly delays of the project I feel have killed the interest / momentum / excitement of launch.
Pheidippides Wrote: Interesting that the report characterizes the specialized equipment as GrandLinq’s:

Of course it is. That is the whole issue! That’s why it’s called Free-Issued Equipment, or FIE (eff eye aiee).

With the original 182 LRV order, Metrolinx was to “fill the hole in the dash”, and we were to get and use the same system. They didn’t come up with an in-cab signaling system. So, the Region/GrandLinq scrambled to come up with an off-the-shelf solution from another vendor. They finally did that, and only recently penned an agreement with Bombardier to have them install it.... only after they realized they couldn’t do it themselves!

Bombardier has actually helped them out, and everyone is slamming them for it. It’s absolutely maddening.

Quote:“As part of the Project, GrandLinq is responsible for ensuring the finished vehicle integrates seamlessly with the built system.
“The Region has finalized an agreement with Bombardier to install GrandLinq’s on-board equipment and to make the necessary onboard modifications to accommodate the equipment on each train.”

Perhaps they should have spent less time on the flux-capacitor and time travel capabilities of the LRVs and more time on the on-board equipment:
“An ION vehicle has been present at some upcoming community events, with further events scheduled.”

Interesting that 504 is still at 51% completion of the on-board equipment – same as in September.

My response to this in a neutral tone: Trains like these are available "turn-key". In some cases the customer(s) decide to mandate their own equipment. This can cause a delay in making the LRVs into an LRT system.
(11-07-2018, 06:10 AM)rangersfan Wrote: The repeatedly delays of the project I feel have killed the interest / momentum / excitement of launch.

^^^^^ This...

It's not just that, but also at least an extra 18 months of higher property taxes with zero to show for it.

I was looking forward to the launch. Most people would be naive to believe that the ROW and Bombardier would have been 'on-time' despite promises of 'on-time' (and on budget, which it is not), but delay after delay after delay is not cool.

Where I live we *used* to have bus service, but it was removed when the LRT was approved, just in time for my kid to start high school. Lots more traffic now too. That said, my daughter had been looking forward to taking the LRT from her school to my work for a couple years -- this won't happen now. Both my kids are older now too, and had interest in the LRT a while back, but have lost all interest, as have I, and I really don't care anymore. Not like I can use it, but I had planned on trying it out a few time.

I know Canard is tickled pink with the delay, but the cynical part of me (which I wasn't when they first planned the LRT) is expecting more delays past spring, so I'll laugh my ass off if it gets delay again to mid-November next year and ruins everyone photo op. Though this is Ontario, you can have beautiful days in November - February and absolute crap March thru October.
Can we drop the personal attacks please? I’ve had enough.
(11-06-2018, 08:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 06:48 PM)KevinT Wrote: [Image: 7ac6c18b1bca53b88bbd8cd25a68a327396adce1...07a4c6.jpg]

That isn't what I said.

What I said was that Regional Staff and/or Regional Council *KNEW* that the December deadline/estimate had been missed before the election and yet chose to hide that information.

Sorry Dan, that graphic was a comment on the region's approach. I was trying to find a somewhat appropriate post to use it on, what I should have done was just posted it standalone.

For a system that was originally supposed to open in fall 2017, it's weird that the region was only inking a deal to get their equipment installed in June of 2018, then has the nerve to hold Bombardier's feet to the fire for missing an ambitious estimate.

Jeffster, you've made your point, you don't like the delay, and you really don't like that Canard likes the delay. Ignore him. Back to your corners. Moving on.
(11-07-2018, 02:35 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 10:33 PM)jeffster Wrote: I know of a Mike Wilner that works the Blue Jays radio broadcast.  Perhaps this is a side gig of his....

But in all seriousness, I have no idea who this Mike Willner is...

Mike Farwell not Mike Wilner

Oh my god.  Im an idiot.

Hey did you guys know I'm a Blue Jays fan?? hah
(11-07-2018, 07:11 AM)Canard Wrote: Bombardier has actually helped them out, and everyone is slamming them for it.  It’s absolutely maddening.

In an explanation I gave to a friend, I said that Bombardier is responsible in the same way we've all been responsible for that person in a group project who doesn't pull their own weight. Bombardier isn't the cause of the problem, but they've taken on resolving it.

I blame the Region's terrible communication. Bombardier clearly agreed (or is contractually be obligated) to be the scapegoat - I suspect Farwell's interview this morning won't shed any meaningful light on this, unfortunately - but I wish the Region wouldn't so gleefully pile all the blame on them when Metrolinx is right there as a clearly problematic entity.

I'm hopeful that the new council will have shed enough of the old council's baggage that they'll eventually be able to more clearly articulate the series of events that led to delays. I don't actually expect it, but it would be nice, and it would demonstrate a new commitment to actual communication.
There's got to be a reason why the Region won't go after Metrolinx. Still needing them for something? Maintaining relationships?
as per Tom Galloway on 570 news, the final LRV (501 I guess) is now expected to ship late January

EDIT: the COO now says he has committed to delivering all the LRVs by the end of December
Recording in case people missed it! http://jason.randomfiles.info/Nov_7_Bomb...erview.m4a

(11-07-2018, 10:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: There's got to be a reason why the Region won't go after Metrolinx. Still needing them for something?  Maintaining relationships?

Because Metrolinx is the Province.... where the money comes from. You don’t bite the hand that feeds you, and that’s all there is to it. It’s why Bombardier can’t defend themselves - the people calling them out are the ones who pay their bills.
(11-07-2018, 10:42 AM)jason897 Wrote: as per Tom Galloway on 570 news, the final LRV (501 I guess) is now expected to ship late January

EDIT: the COO now says he has committed to delivering all the LRVs by the end of December

But none of them with the specialty electronics right?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »