Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District
(11-03-2018, 11:42 PM)clasher Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 08:10 PM)jamincan Wrote: I'm not sure about this faux heritage industrial aesthetic thing here. The giant chimney thing seems a step too far.

And the fake water tower. This will look so kitschy in 30 years I think... and I wonder how much of that grass will actually remain when it's all done.

It will look kitschy the moment it is built.  It's a shopping mall, however, so I doubt it matters.

(11-03-2018, 08:10 PM)jamincan Wrote: I'm not sure about this faux heritage industrial aesthetic thing here. The giant chimney thing seems a step too far.

if it ends up looking like the rendering  then i love it
(11-03-2018, 10:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-03-2018, 09:22 PM)Spokes Wrote: Was there any sort of industrial plant on this land at any point?

No.  The area between Courtland and Wilson (at least) was farmland within my memory.

This interactive slider map, 1955–recent, is fun. (Can be slow to load. If it shows the present on both sides, be patient.)
If I'm reading this render correctly, this at the entrance to Fairway Mall across from cineplex.

I mean, I guess I have to respect that they're trying to create a pedestrian type area, but I feel like the point is being missed entirely. Hell, there aren't even sidewalks on Fairway Rd. in the render. And almost all of that greenspace is a lie, either it will be parking (I really don't believe they're going to turn the closest parking (you know, the parking the employees probably use), into greenspace. And generally the end of parking aisles isn't big enough for real grass.

They might get points for trying here, but I don't think it's going to be effective.
Interesting that it seems to be missing that office development on the south-east corner of the property.
I think one render is only of phase one.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I don't mind the water tower or chimney. If it doesn't work out, they are easy enough to remove, and likely none to expensive to build.

The heritage committee is not in agreement with the planning department. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/902...ttee-says/
Ew. I hope council overturns this and allows demolition.
(11-07-2018, 05:00 PM)KevinL Wrote: The heritage committee is not in agreement with the planning department. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/902...ttee-says/

What is the fascination with this building? It looks awful.
(11-07-2018, 05:46 PM)Chris Wrote:
(11-07-2018, 05:00 PM)KevinL Wrote: The heritage committee is not in agreement with the planning department. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/902...ttee-says/

The exterior is excellent, and very attractive, not that that alone would justify saving it, imo.

Are there any constraints on the City designating a building over the owner's objections?
(11-07-2018, 05:46 PM)Chris Wrote:

It's a unique (in this region) example of this type of architecture.

Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder. Smile
Same theory is behind why the majority of the train shed at Toronto Union Station is still standing.

I think the Kitchener Heritage mandate has to be to refuse demolition on anything, always.

I've had enough of them. I think I disagree with 95% of their decisions.
(11-07-2018, 07:10 PM)Spokes Wrote: I think the Kitchener Heritage mandate has to be to refuse demolition on anything, always.

I've had enough of them.  I think I disagree with 95% of their decisions.

They said that only 140 buildings are protected. But that doesn't consider the hundreds that are also protected by the virtue of being inside the heritage districts.

But unlike the recently-infamous Queen St houses, the Sears building is actually unique. The developer proposed to preserve a smallish piece of the wall, but it would not be visible to anyone outside the building.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »