Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
345 King St W | 6 fl | Complete
Found a couple of new renderings of this one.  Every time I see it I like it more.

Also....the sales brochure for this: https://perimeterdevelopment.com/wp-cont...ochure.pdf
(11-09-2018, 10:58 PM)Spokes Wrote: Also....the sales brochure for this:  https://perimeterdevelopment.com/wp-cont...ochure.pdf

So Gowlings is only taking the top two floors?  I did not know that, but thought the entire building seemed a bit ambitious.
OHHHH, so there IS going to be ground-floor retail in this after all. Thank fuck for that. A little embarrassing if there wasnt'
Ground floor office should not be allowed. Anywhere. Ever.
(11-10-2018, 12:41 AM)Spokes Wrote: Ground floor office should not be allowed.  Anywhere.  Ever.

And that kind of attitude is how we get intrusive and inappropriate zoning regulation.

“Busy commercial operations should not be allowed next to residential. Anywhere. Ever.”

“Businesses should not be allowed to skimp on parking. Anywhere. Ever.”

“Apartment buildings should not be allowed to be built right next to houses. Anywhere. Ever.”

What if there is no market for other uses in that location?
(11-10-2018, 12:41 AM)Spokes Wrote: Ground floor office should not be allowed.  Anywhere.  Ever.

We have a few examples of ground-floor office space on King St: Oracle NetSuite in 55 King St W, in the former TD branch, and a smaller building occupied by an unnamed startup-sized company.

Ground-floor space is generally more expensive and not preferred by companies looking for office space. But I'd much prefer it be rented as office space than stand empty. Prohibiting office use really isn't necessary, even in the downtown core.

If you consider the way cities look where dense mixed-use buildings are the norm, the ground floor in lower demand areas is less likely to be regular restaurants or retail and more likely to be offices, institutional, or the kind of retail that we put in industrial strip malls. Thinking in particular of the Eixample in Barcelona.

Which is to say: ground-floor active uses aren't something you can get in the absence of demand.
(11-10-2018, 10:22 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:

And that kind of attitude is how we get intrusive and inappropriate zoning regulation.

“Busy commercial operations should not be allowed next to residential. Anywhere. Ever.”

“Apartment buildings should not be allowed to be built right next to houses. Anywhere. Ever.”

Valid points.  I take it back
(11-11-2018, 10:26 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 10:22 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: And that kind of attitude is how we get intrusive and inappropriate zoning regulation.

Valid points.  I take it back

Thanks for re-considering! I should add that I agree that in many downtown areas it is more pleasant to have open frontages on buildings and I hope to see more developments with ground floor uses that are part of the street rather than totally separate from it.
And that is my mindset too, but working in absolutes usually results in bad things
Up she goes!!
Crane??

(11-12-2018, 02:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: Crane??

Yup!   Cool

(11-12-2018, 02:50 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 02:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: Crane??

Yup!   Cool
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »