Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(11-15-2018, 11:42 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 11:24 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I really hope that this does not significantly delay the project.

I really doubt that. They may have to be more careful demolishing that section, but that should not give any significant time stretch.

It doesn't seem to have delayed anything yet. Walked past this afternoon and the chapel is completely gone, plus some of that space that connected to the church.

WTF??  The church was on fire again overnight.  The flames were higher than yesterday.   Crews are still on the scene.
(11-16-2018, 07:30 AM)jgsz Wrote: WTF??  The church was on fire again overnight.  The flames were higher than yesterday.   Crews are still on the scene.

Perhaps it is time to place security gaurds there...  Just wait till they get construction going and have cement walls framed in....
On the news this morning they said that the fire was noticed by a security guard.
They need to get this building down before a real serious fire spreads.
This is the scene after the second fire:

I heard on the radio that Frederick is closed from King to Weber
Well looks like it'll actually speed things up

Quote:The church, built in 1905, has sat empty in the downtown for more than a year. It's now being torn down to make way for a 33-storey condo tower. In talking with the demolition company on site, Brooks said the building will likely come down faster.

"They're changing their plans and hopefully we're going to be able to take down the bigger building within two to three days; they're looking at bringing in a bigger piece of equipment to help out with that," he said. "We need to have this knocked down right away to keep this from happening."

(11-16-2018, 09:37 AM)Spokes Wrote: I heard on the radio that Frederick is closed from King to Weber

The same as yesterday morning ...
Financial question: what's been the cost to the region (and developer demolition acceleration, if you want) of fighting these two fires, and how does that compare to the cost of housing someone in a bachelor built for those in need of housing?
(11-16-2018, 11:33 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Financial question: what's been the cost to the region (and developer demolition acceleration, if you want) of fighting these two fires, and how does that compare to the cost of housing someone in a bachelor built for those in need of housing?

I don't believe the direct cost is actually that high as we already have the firefighters and police on duty.

That said, low-income housing is definitely an issue that continues to need our attention.
It's still a cost. It's never a "direct cost" when police have to come and deal with mental health issues, but they otherwise could be dealing with something else, so the cost is still there to the system.
(11-16-2018, 11:59 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's still a cost. It's never a "direct cost" when police have to come and deal with mental health issues, but they otherwise could be dealing with something else, so the cost is still there to the system.

All right … but can you calculate this "cost?" I can't.
(11-16-2018, 12:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 11:59 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's still a cost. It's never a "direct cost" when police have to come and deal with mental health issues, but they otherwise could be dealing with something else, so the cost is still there to the system.

All right … but can you calculate this "cost?" I can't.

It's difficult to calculate unless anyone had to work overtime. You can calculate; water, gas, wear & tear on all equipment + costs to citizens that needed to do the detour because of the road closure. It's not like Oktoberfest or the Ezra Street party where services are stretched thin and/or OT is required.

So I guess you could calculate two figures: Total costs which include costs being their regardless (existing wages, etc): Assuming 15 EMS staff (police, FD, utilities) at an average of $65/hour (wages plus benefits) for 10 hours, $9,750.00 and added expenses, water, gas for vehicles, wear and tear (especially the hoses), which I am assuming to be about 1/3 of the manpower costs, so about $3,300 for a total of about $13,050. The second figure only includes water, gas, W&T, and assume no OT: $3,300.

Someone suggested the related costs could house these individuals. I really wish it were that easy, but these problem are serious mental health issues/drug issues, etc. Many of them *could* find a place to sleep, but get kicked out because of behaviour issues. Housing is less of an issue in most of these cases.

I wouldn't be saying the above if I wasn't so intimately involved with the homeless over the past couple years. I am unsure if there is any real solution for many of the individuals.

(11-16-2018, 02:52 PM)jeffster Wrote: Someone suggested the related costs could house these individuals.  I really wish it were that easy, but these problem are serious mental health issues/drug issues, etc. Many of them *could* find a place to sleep, but get kicked out because of behaviour issues.  Housing is less of an issue in most of these cases.

I wouldn't be saying the above if I wasn't so intimately involved with the homeless over the past couple years. I am unsure if there is any real solution for many of the individuals.

Indeed. Housing (which we do need more of) is only a part of the solution. Increased mental health services may help. Increasing both may significantly help reduce the homeless population, but not entirely eliminate the issue. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
(11-16-2018, 03:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-16-2018, 02:52 PM)jeffster Wrote: Someone suggested the related costs could house these individuals.  I really wish it were that easy, but these problem are serious mental health issues/drug issues, etc. Many of them *could* find a place to sleep, but get kicked out because of behaviour issues.  Housing is less of an issue in most of these cases.

Indeed. Housing (which we do need more of) is only a part of the solution. Increased mental health services may help. Increasing both may significantly help reduce the homeless population, but not entirely eliminate the issue. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

You have to keep in mind that many of these homeless are homeless because they aren't allowed into shelter because of previous violence, or not adhering to the rules. Many do indeed have mental health issues too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »