Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
As disappointed as I am about the projects delay, I am glad that the region is holding out for something iconic here. We really only have a few opportunities to build something with so much potential.

On a side note I never understood why this project was staggered so far behind the LRT design and construction. Without the projects launching in tandem or near tandem it was always going to be this strange dead space in the heart of the Innovation District, with disjointed transit connections, now we get that state even longer.

My biggest concern is that will they get something iconic? They only got one submission this time around.

As for the timing, this project never had to be done for LRT to operate, so that's my guess.
Really, I think it'll be the all-day, two-way GO that will drive this, more than the LRT alone: at that point, the hub will become the confluence of GO, LRT, local bus and long-distance bus service.

For the current (well, soon-to-be-current) LRT+bus service, the hub really doesn't add much. I don't expect a lot of bus routes moving substantially in order to stop at the hub, there are only a handful of bays.
The rearrangement is more about interfacing with an LRT-spine transit system, rather than malls & downtown hubs and spoke system, so the launch of LRT is the main key that should have been dealt with. I still suspect that the region is asking for a lot for the public infrastructure portions, while asking for a nutty timeline, and allowing comparatively little for the developer to make profit from those demands off of. Really wish the details could leak to prove me wrong though; there's always a chance that even if you could build condo towers or office towers, that the development of the 100, Charlie West, the six floor office on King, the glove box, all of these change the marketplace, let alone if Sixo had been in full swing.
The Region will have to sweeten the pot in some fashion. Whatever it is they didn't include, or thought they could hold back, on the previous process now needs to be added to the deal. Hopefully it now becomes appealing enough that multiple bids will come in, and we can choose the most 'iconic' of those.
(11-20-2018, 10:25 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Really, I think it'll be the all-day, two-way GO that will drive this, more than the LRT alone: at that point, the hub will become the confluence of GO, LRT, local bus and long-distance bus service.

For the current (well, soon-to-be-current) LRT+bus service, the hub really doesn't add much. I don't expect a lot of bus routes moving substantially in order to stop at the hub, there are only a handful of bays.
Remind me - how many bays are there supposed to be at the Hub?
(11-20-2018, 12:02 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 10:25 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Really, I think it'll be the all-day, two-way GO that will drive this, more than the LRT alone: at that point, the hub will become the confluence of GO, LRT, local bus and long-distance bus service.

Remind me - how many bays are there supposed to be at the Hub?

Five bus bays.

(03-25-2016, 02:25 PM)jamincan Wrote: This diagram seems to suggest that the station itself will extend past Waterloo Street and that access to the north platform would be provided by an underpass at Waterloo Street as well as on either side of King.

[Image: sHGeD.png]

Man, this location will have a LOT of very-high-above-grade parking. Victoria Level is bus bays, which will be likely 2 floors, plus there's likely to be a train concourse that takes most of then next level, and you still need stores at or close to street level, as well as transit services, and somewhere above all that, parking. That will make this a very expensive building, not to mention having to do all that alongside the context of the Rumpel Felt preservation.
(11-20-2018, 04:19 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Man, this location will have a LOT of very-high-above-grade parking. Victoria Level is bus bays, which will be likely 2 floors, plus there's likely to be a train concourse that takes most of then next level, and you still need stores at or close to street level, as well as transit services, and somewhere above all that, parking. That will make this a very expensive building, not to mention having to do all that alongside the context of the Rumpel Felt preservation.

Why not underground parking?  Or for that matter, I see little reason to have any parking here.
If 1Vic, kitty corner and same elevation, is any indication, you can't really go too deep, I think they went down one level, two tops? The "why" is because there's hope among some that this site will have at least two towers like 1Vic, maybe even more than that, between residential and office. Minimums will require parking for that.
(11-20-2018, 05:43 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: If 1Vic, kitty corner and same elevation, is any indication, you can't really go too deep, I think they went down one level, two tops? The "why" is because there's hope among some that this site will have at least two towers like 1Vic, maybe even more than that, between residential and office. Minimums will require parking for that.

That is my point, there is not a more transit friendly location in the city . There should not *be* parking minimums .
If parking is seen as a high priority, perhaps a structure could be built on the Kaufman Lofts' surface lot and they share the access.
In my opinion the lack of bidders on the project came from the lack of a fair tendering process> I know Michael Harris was active in trying to open up the public project tendering process, I hope he continues this work as a Waterloo Regional Councillor.

(11-20-2018, 04:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 04:19 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Man, this location will have a LOT of very-high-above-grade parking. Victoria Level is bus bays, which will be likely 2 floors, plus there's likely to be a train concourse that takes most of then next level, and you still need stores at or close to street level, as well as transit services, and somewhere above all that, parking. That will make this a very expensive building, not to mention having to do all that alongside the context of the Rumpel Felt preservation.

Why not underground parking?  Or for that matter, I see little reason to have any parking here.

The region wants lots of parking here.  Imagine youre taking the train out of town for a few days, you can park there leaving your car there much like you would at the airport.
(11-20-2018, 11:07 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 04:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Why not underground parking?  Or for that matter, I see little reason to have any parking here.

The region wants lots of parking here.  Imagine youre taking the train out of town for a few days, you can park there leaving your car there much like you would at the airport.

Does that really make sense? Taxi fares (or GRT fares, but not everyone does that) to Victoria and King are pretty low from pretty much everywhere in town, and probably cheaper than parking could be.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »