Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District
(11-27-2018, 11:14 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 08:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: Walmart owns their building, CF has no responsibility for it.

But I understand a renovation is in the pipeline.

You were correct, I saw them fixing the outside just the other day. Hopefully it looks good in a week or two.

The #WallieMart building should have been "decommissioned" and replaced 10 years ago ... maybe the wildly strange Heritage Committee and wildly strange members and wanna-be heritage committee members will designate it as an "historical box".

People gotta get over the Heritage Committee doing exactly what it is mandated to do ....
(11-28-2018, 12:18 AM)panamaniac Wrote: People gotta get over the Heritage Committee doing exactly what it is mandated to do ....

Preserve every house that's at least 100 years old?
(11-28-2018, 12:18 AM)panamaniac Wrote: People gotta get over the Heritage Committee doing exactly what it is mandated to do ....

Just as long as they don't try to preserve:

Buildings less than 100 years old & privately owned & is already attached to another ugly building (such as Wal*Mart), strictly retail, non-historical, etc....such as that Sears building.
(11-28-2018, 04:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

Preserve every house that's at least 100 years old?
If that house is in a designated heritage district, probably.  But the Heritage Committee preserves nothing.  It makes recommendations to City Council, which takes the decision.

If 65 years old is "heritage" then I should be preserved too ...
(12-02-2018, 08:30 PM)MacBerry Wrote:

If 65 years old is "heritage" then I should be preserved too ...

Age is only one of a number of factors determining heritage value.  The St Mary's heritage district was created when the houses there were less than 60 years old, iirc.

(12-02-2018, 11:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 08:30 PM)MacBerry Wrote: If 65 years old is "heritage" then I should be preserved too ...

Age is only one of a number of factors determining heritage value.  The St Mary's heritage district was created when the houses there were less than 60 years old, iirc.

Which begs the question why the two houses on Queen St had to be preserved. No historical significance, no unique features, mediocre condition and surrounded by apartment buildings -- but still they were more important than adding reasonably-priced housing near an LRT station.
(12-03-2018, 01:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-02-2018, 11:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Age is only one of a number of factors determining heritage value.  The St Mary's heritage district was created when the houses there were less than 60 years old, iirc.

Which begs the question why the two houses on Queen St had to be preserved. No historical significance, no unique features, mediocre condition and surrounded by apartment buildings -- but still they were more important than adding reasonably-priced housing near an LRT station.

No argument from me - I didn't think that was a good decision.
Noticed on the webpage some updated renders. Along with some new tenants for the Sears building, namely Winners and Marks[Image: Fairview-Park-Aerial.jpg]
That's a lot of trees!
(12-30-2018, 12:34 AM)razzie13 Wrote: Noticed on the webpage some updated renders. Along with some new tenants for the Sears building, namely Winners and Marks[Image: Fairview-Park-Aerial.jpg]

Also noticed was the new building across the street in front of Cineplex.
(12-30-2018, 10:11 AM)clasher Wrote: That's a lot of trees!

A lot of trees -- but not much density. Still 50% surface parking, and almost all buildings with just a single floor. Grand Market District? Hmmm.

(12-30-2018, 02:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 10:11 AM)clasher Wrote: That's a lot of trees!

A lot of trees -- but not much density. Still 50% surface parking, and almost all buildings with just a single floor. Grand Market District? Hmmm.

This is just the first phase of the full redevelopment of the 'district'.
If you review this thread, you will see mostly negative comments.  From the faux industrial look to the number of floors, to not saving the ugly old precast contrete siding of the former Sears building.  I am going against the grain here and will say this, I hope this project ends up looking the renders,  I welcome it and think it will end up being very nice..

Give the project a chance please...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »