Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Does anyone know what is happening in the office building at the corner of Weber and Frederick?  In the taller tower about half the floors appear to be empty.  Is a major tenant moving in or are they having trouble leasing the space?

(11-29-2018, 07:32 AM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know what is happening in the office building at the corner of Weber and Frederick?  In the taller tower about half the floors appear to be empty.  Is a major tenant moving in or are they having trouble leasing the space?

It seems like they are renovating. Not sure if it's just the lobby area or more of the space but there is a big sign inside that mentions renovation.
(11-29-2018, 07:36 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(11-29-2018, 07:32 AM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know what is happening in the office building at the corner of Weber and Frederick?  In the taller tower about half the floors appear to be empty.  Is a major tenant moving in or are they having trouble leasing the space?

It seems like they are renovating. Not sure if it's just the lobby area or more of the space but there is a big sign inside that mentions renovation.

It's more than the lobby.  From my vantage point I can see five floors that are empty.  I saw painters on one of the upper floors this past week.
Maybe they're doing what other office owners are doing and eventually overhauling the whole thing to meet the demands of the current marketplace. Look at what happened with 305 King. Maybe something similar?
There's been significant vacancy at that building for several years- they lost a large tenant (three or four floors) back in 2015, and there was empty space before that.

I worked in the shorter building of the Galleria about ten years ago, and there were a number of issues related to the age of the building. It seemed overdue for a significant overhaul then (more than just cosmetic), and I have to think that, with the new courthouse operating and Ion about to launch, the case would be very strong.
Seems like the Goodlife in Market Square is closing. Almost signed up for a membership there earlier this year, thankfully not. 

Surprised Market Square didnt fight to keep their anchor tenant in (cheaper rent or what have you). So that leaves what now, a jewellers and a salon? Surely this must be the catalyst for something to happen here.
(11-29-2018, 12:02 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Seems like the Goodlife in Market Square is closing. Almost signed up for a membership there earlier this year, thankfully not. 

Surprised Market Square didnt fight to keep their anchor tenant in (cheaper rent or what have you). So that leaves what now, a jewellers and a salon? Surely this must be the catalyst for something to happen here.

Probably also lost some attendance to Stantec leaving and the rise of newer $10/mo gyms such as Fit4Less (by Goodlife) and Planet Fitness.

(11-29-2018, 12:02 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Seems like the Goodlife in Market Square is closing. Almost signed up for a membership there earlier this year, thankfully not. 

Maybe the redevelopment of Market Square will be sooner than we think, and they actually want to get rid of the businesses there.

Wow.  Like others have said, this has to be the final nail in the coffin.  Maybe they didn't want to fight to keep them. 

I don't know the ins and outs of the building all that well, but could they redevelop it without touching the Record's portion or is it very much intertwined?
(11-29-2018, 12:18 PM)neonjoe Wrote:

Probably also lost some attendance to Stantec leaving and the rise of newer $10/mo gyms such as Fit4Less (by Goodlife) and Planet Fitness.

I always wonder to what extent Goodlife cannabilizes their own client base via Fit4Less (former Goodlife, now Fit4Less member here).

Although there is no Fit4Less location in DTK, is there?

The conversion of the Market Square space to offices would be fairly straightforward, no?  Maybe with new glass walls to close it off from the entrance atrium?
I have heard rumours that something is in the works for Market Square and this seems to make that more likely. I would imagine they just didn't renew the lease for Goodlife to make redevelopment easier. Europro is investing in their other properties since buying them from DREAM. The former commerce house is now rebranded as 50Q and is getting a bunch of improvements and so is the Galleria so they seem to be a proactive owner.

The Record recently downsized so now they share the other side of the building with Sortable.
One other tenant - the call centre above the Record/Sortable - is also moving out soon.
Rumour is that it will become a Fit4Less, so don't write the obituary so soon.

I just did a 3 day trial last week and thought it was a really nice space for working out. I only want to lift weights and there was a lot of good gear there and I never waited for racks or bars. I liked the sauna too, but for the cost of a year's memberships I can get a basic bar, bench, power rack and a set of weights and still come out ahead. My partner is a member and they told her a fit4less is opening there in April. I guess they don't have classes there but I dunno what the difference is. I thought about going to the wreckroom but they only open at 9am so that's kind of a deal-killer for us, otherwise it sounds like an awesome place for lifting.

Yeah, I almost signed a membership as well, I'll be right out now, they have "other locations" none of which are remotely reasonable to someone who doesn't own and drive a car, it's too bad because there's one near my work as well, there are a few other gyms downtown, but it's hard to justify when they're more expensive, and I can't go from work.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »