Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toronto transit projects
(11-27-2018, 03:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Am I correct in thinking that this Edmonton company, Magnovate, does not yet have even a prototype in operation?

It's a consortium (a group pf people assigned from each company, essentially) from Magna and Lockheed Martin. They do not have a prototype. This would be the prototype, hence the $0 cost to anyone except the companies building it.

I'd normally kind of roll my eyes at the "vapourware" nature of the renderings and dismiss it as yet another goofy "bored university graphic design student" idea, but let's see what happens.

It's better than feeling gutted every time I go there and stare at the old AGT guideway standing there rotting away.

(11-27-2018, 06:41 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 01:29 PM)Spokes Wrote: Not a city transit project but.....

The Toronto Zoo could get a Monorail...FOR FREE.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/y...-1.4921661

[Image: Springfield_Monorail.png]

Is there a chance the track could bend?
(11-27-2018, 07:40 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 06:41 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: [Image: Springfield_Monorail.png]

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend!
WOW THAT SO NEVER GETS OLD

NEVER EVER EVER

HAHAHAHAHAA SO FUNNY
In other, non-monorail-related news, the food court at Union Station opened up yesterday after many years of construction.

I stopped in this morning on my way to a meeting and got breakfast at Tim Horton's. I was surprised to see all vendors were open or at least staffed before 8am (who gets pizza that early?). There are going to be some growing pains, like most new restaurants (eg. getting customer names, but not using them when the order is ready) but it had quite a bit of traffic, and even more coming back through at 3:45, with all establishments looking busy.

As I walked through the space that was formerly Harvey's, I mourned the loss of my strawberry milkshakes between trains, but at least something is available now.
Nothing gets me like a good Simpsons reference. Well done my friends, well done!
(11-27-2018, 09:54 PM)timio Wrote: In other, non-monorail-related news, the food court at Union Station opened up yesterday after many years of construction.

I stopped in this morning on my way to a meeting and got breakfast at Tim Horton's.  I was surprised to see all vendors were open or at least staffed before 8am (who gets pizza that early?).  There are going to be some growing pains, like most new restaurants (eg. getting customer names, but not using them when the order is ready) but it had quite a bit of traffic, and even more coming back through at 3:45, with all establishments looking busy.

As I walked through the space that was formerly Harvey's, I mourned the loss of my strawberry milkshakes between trains, but at least something is available now.

Harvey's is still available under RBC Place (The other side of Front) via the PATH entrance.  Not onsite, but worth the walk for a shake...

Coke

It was unanimously approved!

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/11...posal.html
Fantastic.

Although I see no reason why to not approve it.
Two reasons why not come to mind:

* New(ish) technology lack of information on safety
* Unknown impact on the animals (noise, electromagnetic fields)
Those can both be mitigated, but should be considered before going full speed ahead
(11-30-2018, 09:26 AM)timio Wrote: Two reasons why not come to mind:

* New(ish) technology lack of information on safety
* Unknown impact on the animals (noise, electromagnetic fields)

Presumably the noise and EM radiation impacts on zoo animals wouldn't be so much different from their impact on human animals.

Here is one study on maglev noise, although I would expect that the zoo maglev would run substantially slower (and thus quieter) than the Shanghai maglev:
http://www.maglev.ir/eng/documents/paper...T_JP_5.pdf

In terms of general safety, I think maglev is sufficiently proven by now that the standard Transport Canada regulations should be sufficient.
(11-30-2018, 10:41 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Presumably the noise and EM radiation impacts on zoo animals wouldn't be so much different from their impact on human animals.

There's a lot of noises (and colours, smells, etc) that human animals can't perceive that non-human animals react very strongly to. And humans wouldn't be exposed 24 hours the way the non-humans will be.

(11-30-2018, 10:46 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(11-30-2018, 10:41 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Presumably the noise and EM radiation impacts on zoo animals wouldn't be so much different from their impact on human animals.

There's a lot of noises (and colours, smells, etc) that human animals can't perceive that non-human animals react very strongly to. And humans wouldn't be exposed 24 hours the way the non-humans will be.

Yes … and yet. Humans will be much closer to the monorail when it operates. While not as long as non-human animals, the latter will not be exposed for 24 hours, either (what are the zoo hours?). Train staff will likely have higher exposure than the non-human animals, which will be much further away. And both sound and radiation intensities drop with the square of the distance.
Given that no such study was done for their S+S Aerial Ride in the Polar section was done, and the noise and disruption that contraption makes, there will be no issue with the proposal.

Was a study done on the (noisy, fuel-powered) "Zoomobile" bus that goes around currently?

The power wires in the ground carrying high voltage will put out more EM "stuff" than this system.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »