Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Disconnected the third spacer car for the trip up the spur, or didn't have one on the end this time?

(12-04-2018, 08:38 AM)timio Wrote: Disconnected the third spacer car for the trip up the spur, or didn't have one on the end this time?

The third spacer car stays in Lancaster Yard when they bring it up. It's not needed for the nightly train as they shunt the LRVs to the last cars of the train. The CN Freights from Kingston to Mac Yard and from Mac Yard to Kitchener however may have them in the middle so they use an extra spacer for the end.
It's funny how we get so excited about the *testing* of a streetcar haha. So long awaited, we should actually be up in arms with the City on the delays should we not? But I'm too Canadian for that :p. It's okay, I was just as excited about the opening of a desperately needed new Zehrs in Pioneer plaza - I even visited on opening day before work ha.

I was thinking, whilst on an express bus from Fairview mall to Charles Terminal - there is no way the LRT will be able to do that run any faster or even equal to that run, with the stops in between and the speed at which it travels (seemingly based on testing)...am I wrong?
(12-04-2018, 10:22 AM)Momo26 Wrote: I was thinking, whilst on an express bus from Fairview mall to Charles Terminal - there is no way the LRT will be able to do that run any faster or even equal to that run, with the stops in between and the speed at which it travels (seemingly based on testing)...am I wrong?

I misread this as terminal to terminal. I'm not sure what the actual schedule will be, but there's a good chance the LRT can go faster from the Fairway stop to the Victoria Park stop than a bus because for much of the stretch along Fairview and Courtland the LRT is off the streets and will be going 70km/h. Once it gets back on the streets it might be able to travel a bit faster than the 200 because it will get priority signalling at intersection. In general though the LRT is not going to be much faster than a bus, but nor is it supposed to be. Its timing will be more consistent since it will be slightly less impacted by other traffic on the roads, and there's a lot more room so its capacity will be greater.
So I'm on the UW campus today and tomorrow for work. Any chance I see some testing??
(12-04-2018, 10:49 AM)Spokes Wrote: So I'm on the UW campus today and tomorrow for work.  Any chance I see some testing??

Well I flipped on the radio for a few minutes and heard from both 511 and 512, so probably a good chance Tongue
(12-04-2018, 10:38 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:22 AM)Momo26 Wrote: I was thinking, whilst on an express bus from Fairview mall to Charles Terminal - there is no way the LRT will be able to do that run any faster or even equal to that run, with the stops in between and the speed at which it travels (seemingly based on testing)...am I wrong?

I misread this as terminal to terminal. I'm not sure what the actual schedule will be, but there's a good chance the LRT can go faster from the Fairway stop to the Victoria Park stop than a bus because for much of the stretch along Fairview and Courtland the LRT is off the streets and will be going 70km/h. Once it gets back on the streets it might be able to travel a bit faster than the 200 because it will get priority signalling at intersection. In general though the LRT is not going to be much faster than a bus, but nor is it supposed to be. Its timing will be more consistent since it will be slightly less impacted by other traffic on the roads, and there's a lot more room so its capacity will be greater.

The off-street part should be faster. Just to add to robdrimmie's points, LRT is also good because it doesn't add to traffic congestion as much as cars or buses would. So it's more comfortable but not faster today, but the no-LRT alternative would be way slower in 20 years.

(12-04-2018, 11:49 AM)jason897 Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:49 AM)Spokes Wrote: So I'm on the UW campus today and tomorrow for work.  Any chance I see some testing??

Well I flipped on the radio for a few minutes and heard from both 511 and 512, so probably a good chance Tongue

Today's gonna be my day!!!!
(12-04-2018, 09:18 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 08:38 AM)timio Wrote: Disconnected the third spacer car for the trip up the spur, or didn't have one on the end this time?

The third spacer car stays in Lancaster Yard when they bring it up. It's not needed for the nightly train as they shunt the LRVs to the last cars of the train. The CN Freights from Kingston to Mac Yard and from Mac Yard to Kitchener however may have them in the middle so they use an extra spacer for the end.

The majority of single LRV deliveries took the rear spacer flat up the spur as well, while the only other double LRV delivery also left it in Lancaster.

I'm certain it will be somewhat faster going from Fairway to downtown Kitchener (it doesn't go directly to the Charles terminal since the northbound track is on Duke) for the reasons @robdrimmie listed, and I guarantee it will be A LOT faster getting from downtown Kitchener to the University / R&T Park area.  I take the 200 iXpress for that trip whenever my car's in the shop for service and it's always a nightmarish milk run despite the word 'express' in its name.
(12-04-2018, 11:49 AM)jason897 Wrote: Well I flipped on the radio for a few minutes and heard from both 511 and 512, so probably a good chance Tongue

Just heard from 513 as well. First time? Man I wish I'd been keeping better notes...
Yes, the biggest time savings from 200 to Ion will be from Uptown to Conestoga. No twisting and turning on the UW ring road, and avoiding University Ave traffic.
My video from last night - 

It happened!!!!!

I saw an ION train tonight!! 511 was at Conestoga right after we got Santa pictures. And the driver was super nice too, gave my son a huge wave.
Yay!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »