Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
It's the base for the crane.

Around which the elevator shaft will be constructed.
Concrete was being poured here last night; I'd assume for a crane base?
(12-04-2018, 12:10 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Concrete was being poured here last night; I'd assume for a crane base?

They're doing something that was bleeding out into the Gaukel/Charles intersection this morning. One of my colleagues said that some asphalt had been torn up and there was something smoothing out new asphalt? 

Traffic looked really ugly there this morning, and several coworkers complained about getting into Manulife's parking garage. They didn't have detours posted, there wasn't any indication at Joseph and Gaukel that the next intersection was closed so I saw four cars use Charles St Terminal to turn around and Water street looked like it was backed up pretty far in both directions.
The Gaukel issue didn't stop me (maybe should have) from making a left onto Charles as a cyclist. Water was bad because there was an open hole being worked on in front of the church across from the Bell building southwest of Duke, and Victoria-bound traffic had to yield the single lane to King-bound traffic.
(11-30-2018, 04:22 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Around which the elevator shaft will be constructed.

Cranes are typically not placed within elevator shafts. You need to start on your elevator machine room while the crane is still in place.
Was driving past last night - couldn't look really down, but from the street side, man that looks like a deep hole!

(12-05-2018, 12:01 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Was driving past last night - couldn't look really down, but from the street side, man that looks like a deep hole!

I drove by yesterday in the daylight, wow  this hole is very deep.  You cant even see the tops of the excavators ....
Gotta be more than 2 floors of parking, 3 maybe 4?
Yay, the crane finally going up? GAUKEL ST HALLS LANE W TO KING ST W Reason: Other
Date: 2018-Dec-12 to 2018-Dec-14
Details: closure for crane erection
Detour: no access to Gaukel St
(12-12-2018, 03:33 PM)Square Wrote: Yay, the crane finally going up?    GAUKEL ST HALLS LANE W TO KING ST W Reason: Other
Date: 2018-Dec-12 to 2018-Dec-14
Details: closure for crane erection
Detour: no access to Gaukel St

So that's 4 within a 5-10 minute walk of each other....
DTK gonna start looking like Dubai in the early 2000's during their skyscraper explosion haha
Parts of the crane are arriving already, as of around 8:40 this morning.

It occurs to me that, depending how quickly the Duke Tower gets shovels in the ground, this apartment may be the Region's new tallest for no more than a few months.
How many floors is the Duke St one again? 33? It's just taller than Charlie West right?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »