Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIA Rail
Another person has been struck and killed in the area, this time by a VIA train.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1455672

New VIA Fleet revealed:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/fleet-renewal
I hope the bike storage proves to be useful and not overly expensive.
(12-12-2018, 03:25 PM)clasher Wrote: I hope the bike storage proves to be useful and not overly expensive.

Bikes on trains in Canada is much harder than it should be right now. There is one train per day Montreal-Toronto where it's possible.
(12-12-2018, 03:25 PM)clasher Wrote: I hope the bike storage proves to be useful and not overly expensive.

Expensive? I just assumed it would be free...
(12-12-2018, 03:12 PM)Canard Wrote: New VIA Fleet revealed:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/fleet-renewal

I have to say. It looks pretty sleek
So it looks like they're starting the RFQ process now, so I guess what we're seeing is purely conceptual. It does sound like they are looking to run DMUs, though, which seems practical. Does anyone know what the average size is for a VIA train in the corridor now?

(12-12-2018, 08:40 PM)jamincan Wrote: So it looks like they're starting the RFQ process now, so I guess what we're seeing is purely conceptual. It does sound like they are looking to run DMUs, though, which seems practical. Does anyone know what the average size is for a VIA train in the corridor now?

Are they looking at DMUs?  The video seemed to depict a (sleek) locomotive with train cars.  And is the "push-pull" terminology used on DMUs?  Also, they want an electrification option, which I wouldn't imagine would be possible with DMUs, but it would be easy enough to switch out a diesel locomotive to electric.

I'm not sure about the average size on the corridor, but they vary a great deal, shortest I've seen is the 2 car trains run on the Kitchener line, and I've seen trains of at least 7 or 8 cars, and those are coupled together (to be decoupled in Kingston, where one continues to Ottawa, and the other to Montreal).

Given they're just procuring now, this kind of video seems a little premature.

That being said, why are they replacing the fleet now?  They *just* finished rebuilding all their locomotives and the LRC cars are in the process of being refreshed.  Is the fleet expanding or are they planning on decommissioning older cars on other lines?
I assumed DMU based on bidirectionality, and referring to trainsets, but I could be mistaken.
(12-12-2018, 08:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 08:40 PM)jamincan Wrote: So it looks like they're starting the RFQ process now, so I guess what we're seeing is purely conceptual. It does sound like they are looking to run DMUs, though, which seems practical. Does anyone know what the average size is for a VIA train in the corridor now?

Are they looking at DMUs?  The video seemed to depict a (sleek) locomotive with train cars.  And is the "push-pull" terminology used on DMUs?  Also, they want an electrification option, which I wouldn't imagine would be possible with DMUs, but it would be easy enough to switch out a diesel locomotive to electric.

I'm not sure about the average size on the corridor, but they vary a great deal, shortest I've seen is the 2 car trains run on the Kitchener line, and I've seen trains of at least 7 or 8 cars, and those are coupled together (to be decoupled in Kingston, where one continues to Ottawa, and the other to Montreal).

Given they're just procuring now, this kind of video seems a little premature.

That being said, why are they replacing the fleet now?  They *just* finished rebuilding all their locomotives and the LRC cars are in the process of being refreshed.  Is the fleet expanding or are they planning on decommissioning older cars on other lines?

They certainly aren't DMUs. That is a Siemens Charger loco on one end (with a streamlined nose cone) and a matching style cab car on the other.
The refreshed fleet will go on the Corridor immediately, pending these brand-new units arriving; then the refreshed ones will go to non-Corridor routes.
(12-12-2018, 09:19 PM)KevinL Wrote: The refreshed fleet will go on the Corridor immediately, pending these brand-new units arriving; then the refreshed ones will go to non-Corridor routes.

Thanks for clarification.

I'm still a little surprised, I wouldn't think non-corridor routes have need for that type of car?  I thought non-corridor routes were mostly long distance, needing sleeper cars, dining cars, observation cars, etc.?

Maybe I'm missing some services.

I really would love to see new expanded services.
(12-12-2018, 09:46 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 09:19 PM)KevinL Wrote: The refreshed fleet will go on the Corridor immediately, pending these brand-new units arriving; then the refreshed ones will go to non-Corridor routes.

Thanks for clarification.

I'm still a little surprised, I wouldn't think non-corridor routes have need for that type of car?  I thought non-corridor routes were mostly long distance, needing sleeper cars, dining cars, observation cars, etc.?

Maybe I'm missing some services.

I really would love to see new expanded services.

The long-distance lines with sleepers are, I think, the Ocean and the Canadian. There are a surprising number of non-sleeper lines, like the Saguenay line.

I kind of get the impression that the LRC refurbs were just refurbs and not really as major an overhaul as we might think.

Interesting, they're single level cars, despite the Via Rail recovery plan repeatedly discussing bi-level cars.
They bought these trains because they’re FRA approved and the plant is just winding down from the Brightline order. As soon as the RFP/RFQ went out, Brightline was the first thing that popped into my head...

I’m glad we got a custom nose, but everything else is standard, already proven, and available fast. This is a very adult and “brown trousers” move, and while the new trains won’t have any emotion that the Turbo or LRC has (Canadian icons), it’s the only choice that made perfect sense. Bombardier would have taken years to custom design new trains to meet the spec.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »