Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
See pics 

[attachment=5878]

With Kitchener's renown bus terminal in the foreground...
That can't be tall enough, can it? That doesn't look like it'd be above 31 stories at all — it barely looks taller than the crane for the 6 story offices on King!
It most definitely isn't taller than the other crane in the background....but I don't know how cranes work. Is it a set height regardless of size? Does the main vertical part become one of the elevator shafts?
Sometimes they'll enclose the crane in part of the structure, and bring in a mechanism to jack it up further as the job goes on.
(12-13-2018, 12:56 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There will be retail space, and I'm under the impression Kava Beans owners have a first refusal type agreement in place, but I'm not sure how accurate any of that is.
That's my understanding as well.  I think it was reported when the closure was first announced.
(12-13-2018, 06:19 PM)Momo26 Wrote: It most definitely isn't taller than the other crane in the background....but I don't know how cranes work. Is it a set height regardless of size? Does the main vertical part become one of the elevator shafts?

They have a mechanism that allows the crane to rise as the building gets taller, and they'll put extra pieces (masts) to extend the height of that crane. I'd say that currently that crane is good for 8 floors at the most, if that.

I remember when 1 Victoria was going up, every couple months the cranes height would go up with no obviously equipment doing the work. It's usually done one mast at a time (which is about one floor).

There a couple reasons for that: 1) the crane operator needs to be able to see clearly where they are putting stuff and 300 or 400 feet off of the ground would make the more difficult. 2) cranes generally don't have much in the way steadying themselves, so 80 feet up and not attached to anything is OK, while 350 feet could present a problem.

I'm sure there are other reasons.

Here's an interesting video on how a crane builds itself (not sure if same method is used here, as I have never witnessed it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5Qt7_ECEE
(12-13-2018, 04:47 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(12-13-2018, 01:45 PM)kitborn Wrote: The assembly of the crane.

Gotta feel for that poor soul that needs to climb that all those flights every day. And damned you are if you had a burrito the other night. Though I do guess they have something to piss in, but I don't know.

One thing for sure, you'd be fit.  Good pay I'd imagine too.

I drive past the cranes at Ira Needles and Highland daily and was thinking the same thing the other day!  As much as I love them, I don't love heights, so no thanks!

I cant remember where I heard it but ya, the pay is VERY good.
(12-13-2018, 06:10 PM)GtwoK Wrote: That can't be tall enough, can it? That doesn't look like it'd be above 31 stories at all — it barely looks taller than the crane for the 6 story offices on King!

Don't forget, that one has to be tall enough to pass by 305 King.  But you're right, doesn't seem anywhere near tall enough.
Looks like last pieces being attached to said crane as we speak...
So as of today there are 4 cranes up in downtown Kitchener?  These two, Arrow Loft 2 and 100 Vic?  Things are starting to get exciting.
I think the 100 crane is down

Barra as well.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Like I said, K-Dubai

See what I did there ^.^
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »