Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(12-14-2018, 10:08 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(12-14-2018, 09:21 AM)jamincan Wrote: Yeah, I think the location here is fantastic. Easier access to the highway too, compared to points further north in DTK. I hope that this helps the DFB become more than just a daytime lunch destination.

The Duke Food Block may not be viable anymore.  I think the biggest problem they face is getting supplies into the restaurants.  There is no rear access and you can't park on the ION tracks.  The only other option for these restaurants is to block one lane of traffic on Duke Street while they bring in supplies.  I don't know how they can get around these obstacles.

Agree. They should just move throughout downtown and expand.

Depends if you want to live in a high-rise, have amenities like security entrance, a common area lobby, patio, pool/gym. Turn key lifestyle (no exterior hands-on maintenance required), little to no stairs.

But you are correct in thinking a townhouse (Even condo town) attracts a different crowd than tower condo. Interestingly, have you seen the executive town houses across Sun Life on Park St.? They were trying to go for the Manhattan city row town (w/ executive finishes) feel there. They were quite expensive and I think sold slowly.
(12-14-2018, 12:42 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Depends if you want to live in a high-rise, have amenities like security entrance, a common area lobby, patio, pool/gym. Turn key lifestyle (no exterior hands-on maintenance required), little to no stairs.

But you are correct in thinking a townhouse (Even condo town) attracts a different crowd than tower condo. Interestingly, have you seen the executive town houses across Sun Life on Park St.? They were trying to go for the Manhattan city row town (w/ executive finishes) feel there. They were quite expensive and I think sold slowly.

Which ones?  At the base of 144 Park?  Or 133 Park?
(12-14-2018, 10:08 AM)jgsz Wrote: The Duke Food Block may not be viable anymore.  I think the biggest problem they face is getting supplies into the restaurants.  There is no rear access and you can't park on the ION tracks.  The only other option for these restaurants is to block one lane of traffic on Duke Street while they bring in supplies.  I don't know how they can get around these obstacles.

I think around the corner on Queen St N is viable; alternatively, they can truck in food after hours, and potentially park on the rail or simply on Duke. I know on King St, DTK, with Pizza Pizza, they delivery is usually 4 in the morning, and the wine shop is around 5:30 am. RBC 1 am (Ontario St) and Scotia Bank is usually 4 am, and CIBC is closer to 6 am.

There are ways, obviously places like Toronto manage, and the traffic and population there is crazy.
(12-14-2018, 10:08 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(12-14-2018, 09:21 AM)jamincan Wrote: Yeah, I think the location here is fantastic. Easier access to the highway too, compared to points further north in DTK. I hope that this helps the DFB become more than just a daytime lunch destination.

The Duke Food Block may not be viable anymore.  I think the biggest problem they face is getting supplies into the restaurants.  There is no rear access and you can't park on the ION tracks.  The only other option for these restaurants is to block one lane of traffic on Duke Street while they bring in supplies.  I don't know how they can get around these obstacles.

And with the closing of Breadheads, Holy Guacamole is now the only restaurant left on the block. It's possible they missed their window of opportunity to bring someone into the Spice Tree space. The restaurant density on King St is pretty high, they need more than one restaurant on DFB to get people to walk there, even if it's only a few blocks.
(12-16-2018, 06:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-14-2018, 10:08 AM)jgsz Wrote: The Duke Food Block may not be viable anymore.  I think the biggest problem they face is getting supplies into the restaurants.  There is no rear access and you can't park on the ION tracks.  The only other option for these restaurants is to block one lane of traffic on Duke Street while they bring in supplies.  I don't know how they can get around these obstacles.

And with the closing of Breadheads, Holy Guacamole is now the only restaurant left on the block. It's possible they missed their window of opportunity to bring someone into the Spice Tree space. The restaurant density on King St is pretty high, they need more than one restaurant on DFB to get people to walk there, even if it's only a few blocks.

MyBURGER is still there.
If you call them a restaurant...

(12-16-2018, 06:52 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(12-16-2018, 06:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And with the closing of Breadheads, Holy Guacamole is now the only restaurant left on the block. It's possible they missed their window of opportunity to bring someone into the Spice Tree space. The restaurant density on King St is pretty high, they need more than one restaurant on DFB to get people to walk there, even if it's only a few blocks.

MyBURGER is still there.

Ah, I did forget them. But, still. DFB now has only one sit-down restaurant and one small fast-food place. Plus a variety store and two empty units. They really need to find a tenant soon if they want DFB to remain a food destination.
It looks like this demolition site is now a construction site.  

There’s a drill on site and crews are erecting a covered walkway or hoarding on the Duke Street side.
With some of (or all?) of the parking in the podium, how deep would they have to dig for this one? How long until you reckon we see a crane erect? June2019?
It's a covered walkway, looks like the Duke sidewalk will be reopened soon.
(12-14-2018, 03:23 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I think around the corner on Queen St N is viable; alternatively, they can truck in food after hours, and potentially park on the rail or simply on Duke. I know on King St, DTK, with Pizza Pizza, they delivery is usually 4 in the morning, and the wine shop is around 5:30 am. RBC 1 am (Ontario St) and Scotia Bank is usually 4 am, and CIBC is closer to 6 am.

There are ways, obviously places like Toronto manage, and the traffic and population there is crazy.

There's literally no reason not to park on Duke St even during the day.  It isn't so busy as to make this impossible, and they do this on plenty of other streets.

Both side streets are also an option as mentioned.

People (including both businesses involved, and delivery companies) seem to think this is a much bigger obstacle than it is.
According to the city's interactive GIS map, building permits has been submitted with the following details:
Permit No: 18113903

Permit is for foundation, shoring and site servicing only for a 39 storey apartment building with underground parking garage and commercial units on the ground floor.
39 + 1 below grade

Permit No: 18130601
Permit is for balance of construction for a 39 storey apartment building with commercial units on ground floor and underground parking garage. See foundation permit - 18 113903

(12-17-2018, 10:32 PM)BrianT Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 09:26 PM)rangersfan Wrote: According to the city's interactive GIS map, building permits has been submitted with the following details:
Permit No: 18113903

Permit is for foundation, shoring and site servicing only for a 39 storey apartment building with underground parking garage and commercial units on the ground floor.
39 + 1 below grade

Permit No: 18130601
Permit is for balance of construction for a 39 storey apartment building with commercial units on ground floor and underground parking garage. See foundation permit - 18 113903

That is going to be visible in the Kitchener skyline.

It may be visible in Guelph!  Wink
With the increased height, this development has really moved up my favourite developments list!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »