Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
508 passed me this morning walking into the office. I tried to peer into the cabs as it was passing to see if I could see the hole but it was going fast enough that I didn't get a clear view. If forced to guess, it didn't look like the big gaping hole was there but I wouldn't put money on it.

If it helps, the original as-shipped configuration had a touch panel HMI on the left and centre consoles, and a hole to the right. The new, final configuration moves the centre HMI to the right console, and the in-cab signaling system and radio, which was Free-Issued, is installed in the centre console.
That does help, I was looking specifically for the hole in the right side of the consoles. So my already mostly unhelpful observation becomes completely irrelevant. Big Grin
Thank you for checking! I would think it must have it installed, other wise the promise of all being done by the end of the year will not be met.
(12-18-2018, 02:08 PM)Square Wrote: Thank you for checking!  I would think it must have it installed, other wise the promise of all being done by the end of the year will not be met.

That promise has already not been met. The launch date has been pushed to "Spring 2019".
Oh Bombardier's promise. I'm sorry, I misunderstood.
(12-18-2018, 02:12 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 02:08 PM)Square Wrote: Thank you for checking!  I would think it must have it installed, other wise the promise of all being done by the end of the year will not be met.

That promise has already not been met. The launch date has been pushed to "Spring 2019".

The launch date is separate from Bombardier's delivery date.

If the equipment is delivered before new year,  as it appears it will be, then the delay to Spring 2019 is entirely the fault of groups other than Bombardier.

(12-18-2018, 02:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 02:12 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: That promise has already not been met. The launch date has been pushed to "Spring 2019".

The launch date is separate from Bombardier's delivery date.

If the equipment is delivered before new year,  as it appears it will be, then the delay to Spring 2019 is entirely the fault of groups other than Bombardier.

Probably not Bombardier's fault, but a December delivery date isn't consistent with a December launch date. We're back at "whose fault is it that the FIE is so late".

Saw #502 today.
I saw 512. It's getting to the point that any downtown stroll for a decent time period results in a sighting!
So tell me if there is anything to this: reason for delay is not so much inadquate or late shipments of trains, but that they have to rip up part of King street and re-do the road/LRT as legally, there has to be space for an emergency vehicle to be able to pass (and at this point, with only one lane going each way and LRT taking the rest, there is none)?
(12-18-2018, 04:27 PM)Momo26 Wrote: So tell me if there is anything to this: reason for delay is not so much inadquate or late shipments of trains, but that they have to rip up part of King street and re-do the road/LRT as legally, there has to be space for an emergency vehicle to be able to pass (and at this point, with only one lane going each way and LRT taking the rest, there is none)?

In my opinion there's nothing to that.

They can't rip up and re-do King St between now and spring, and its perfectly sensible that they couldn't launch in December when all vehicles weren't complete with FIE installed until the very end of it, as that left no time for the required integration testing and burn-in.
(12-18-2018, 04:27 PM)Momo26 Wrote: So tell me if there is anything to this: reason for delay is not so much inadquate or late shipments of trains, but that they have to rip up part of King street and re-do the road/LRT as legally, there has to be space for an emergency vehicle to be able to pass (and at this point, with only one lane going each way and LRT taking the rest, there is none)?

Emergency vehicles do have space for passing traffic on King St. It's called the tracks. There's more than enough room there. But for some reason the emergency services refuse to use them.
(12-18-2018, 04:52 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Emergency vehicles do have space for passing traffic on King St. It's called the tracks. There's more than enough room there. But for some reason the emergency services refuse to use them.

I was told by a paramedic in the Facebook group that most of the region's ambulances can't hop a standard curb. He went and measured his rig for me and there wasn't enough ground clearance.

(12-18-2018, 05:02 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 04:52 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Emergency vehicles do have space for passing traffic on King St. It's called the tracks. There's more than enough room there. But for some reason the emergency services refuse to use them.

I was told by a paramedic in the Facebook group that most of the region's ambulances can't hop a standard curb. He went and measured his rig for me and there wasn't enough ground clearance.

I've heard that too, but it's clearly not true.

But it's irrelevant anyway, because there are no curbs at the intersections, and the ambulance can enter at the intersection at each end.
(12-18-2018, 05:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I've heard that too, but it's clearly not true.

But it's irrelevant anyway, because there are no curbs at the intersections, and the ambulance can enter at the intersection at each end.

He actually went out and measured the ground clearance on his rig, and the curb in front of my home would have torn off the exhaust. I read a lot about ambulance procurement and there is often a curb clearance defined in the RFQ, so I don't really understand how the region ended up with vehicles with such a low ground clearance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »