Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(12-20-2018, 03:54 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 12:06 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: They've been doing work on that Bell building since at least last Friday, when I saw them hoisting some I-beams onto the roof of the lower section that's on Francis.

Party pooper. I liked my explanation better.

I ignored all other explanations after reading yours.

I saw the unnumbered LRT with 16 written in blue tape at Conestoga Station this morning. Which LRV is that one?
That would be our 514, the sixteenth Bombardier FLEXITY Freedom ever produced.
Certainly far from the first time, but a first for me today: seeing two trains cross each other (at University Ave). Hope to see this more often!
At least 2 LRV's out today - I kind of thought maybe yesterday would be the last day of testing & training for the holidays. Yay!
I keep forgetting to mention it, but the traffic lights (and presumably, the railway crossing lights and arms) at Courtland & Siebert are now activated.

I think that would signal (ha!) the last true bit of construction of the original scope of the project being completed.
Indeed! Good to know.

We still need the Traynor walkway crossing to Fairway, but that wasn't in the original scope.

Train testing has resumed! 502, 508, and 513, at the very least, are out. Operation on the full alignment (Conestoga to Fairway) today.

Edit - Oops, 513 is going back to the OMSF, the gong just stopped working. LRV swap! It'll be either 510 or 514 coming out, instead.
Train testing continues today.
We were in downtown Toronto on boxing day. Yesterday, as I was walking in DTK to work, 508 went by, from Charles to Benton/Frederick, to Duke. What struck me was how much quieter it was going around the turns than the (new) Toronto streetcars. Is this all down to the track lubricators? Do the streetcar systems not use those?
(12-28-2018, 10:27 AM)tomh009 Wrote: We were in downtown Toronto on boxing day. Yesterday, as I was walking in DTK to work, 508 went by, from Charles to Benton/Frederick, to Duke. What struck me was how much quieter it was going around the turns than the (new) Toronto streetcars. Is this all down to the track lubricators? Do the streetcar systems not use those?

I don’t think they have the grease lubricators, but I’m not sure about that. Don’t forget, they have tighter curve radii on many turns, which is another difference.
(12-28-2018, 10:59 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 10:27 AM)tomh009 Wrote: We were in downtown Toronto on boxing day. Yesterday, as I was walking in DTK to work, 508 went by, from Charles to Benton/Frederick, to Duke. What struck me was how much quieter it was going around the turns than the (new) Toronto streetcars. Is this all down to the track lubricators? Do the streetcar systems not use those?

I don’t think they have the grease lubricators, but I’m not sure about that. Don’t forget, they have tighter curve radii on many turns, which is another difference.

I think but am not sure that TTC also has turns which aren't spirals, which may contribute to noise and the occasionally jarring ride.
Dan’s hit the nail on the head.

The TTC’s old network has fixed-radius curves, without transition spirals, which are less suitable for fixed-bogie trams. The CLRV and ALRV’s have no issue because the steerable bogies take care of the body lead-in and lead-out. Sit in the back seat of the new TTC Flexities sometime and you’ll instantly see how violent the jerk acceleration is when going into (or out of) the curves. I was thrown from my seat on the 511 when the driver floored it in the Exhibition Loop once!

They do have a few track lubricator spritzed throughout the system, although I think these are very new.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't try the ride, but the screeching definitely is loud.
I just educated myself about the difference between fixed-radius curves and transition spirals. Very interesting!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »