Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
165 King St W | 3 fl | Completed
How neat would that be if Hall's Ln could become a little 'off the beaten path pedestrian friendly alley way' with a few entrances to cool businesses like an arcade, pool hall etc.

Kind of like this one side passage I think off of Queen (may have been King) in Toronto where you'll find a couple restos with outdoor patio (and neat patio sparkling lights) and Pong (Table Tennis spot). Hall's lane may need to be repaved first.

Man the possibilities.

I remeber suggesting that a few years ago and I got shot down (can't recall if that was in WRC, or in its predecessor). I still think it would be a neat idea (think gas lights, flower boxes, outdoor tables, neon signs, etc, etc.)
Precisely! I even had 'neon lights' in mind when I was typing it but started second guessing myself on that point haha.

The one advantage of the Toronto example I gave (outside of being in downtown TORONTO obv.), was that this alley way is adjacent to the main road, whereas Hall's Ln is not. It's off of the feeder streets that connect Charles to King at various points - so wouldn't be as frequently spotted. The idea could still work, especially with a bit of marketing/social media these days, people will go 'out of their way' to find a spot and once they realize it is not really out of their way, can become a regular scene.
It would definitely be cool. It would need a lot of work though, and a conscious effort from both the city and ALL business owners.
Absolutely. I thought that the rebuild of Hall's Lane a few years back was a missed opportunity to set the stage for development along that line.
There was a bit of effort to make Hall's Lane an interesting place a few years back with various events held. It was forestalled somewhat with various construction activities but I think there's generally some interest in such things. Goudies Lane is somewhat this, the portion from Queen halfway to Ontario is painted, there are tables and chairs in the summertime, etc.
Yah, the location for the entrance to J&P has helped w/ that for sure. That's what you speak of correct?

You'll have Charlie West (Condo) right along Hall's Lane, so the potential to start developing/promoting in the sections adjacent to this future high-rise could set the tone moving forward.

(01-18-2019, 01:35 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There was a bit of effort to make Hall's Lane an interesting place a few years back with various events held. It was forestalled somewhat with various construction activities but I think there's generally some interest in such things. Goudies Lane is somewhat this, the portion from Queen halfway to Ontario is painted, there are tables and chairs in the summertime, etc.

The city can only do so much though.  The retailers have to be on board
(01-18-2019, 01:39 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Yah, the location for the entrance to J&P has helped w/ that for sure. That's what you speak of correct?

You'll have Charlie West (Condo) right along Hall's Lane, so the potential to start developing/promoting in the sections adjacent to this future high-rise could set the tone moving forward.

Yep, that's exactly the part of Goudie's Lane I mean. I think once Charlie finishes getting built more efforts to turn Hall's Lane into a pedestrian-focused space become viable again. Right now the lanes in the area can be fairly intimidating though, some amount of effort in cleaning up the roads and walkways will be necessary.
Thems gentrification words Rob! How dareth
(01-18-2019, 02:25 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 01:35 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There was a bit of effort to make Hall's Lane an interesting place a few years back with various events held. It was forestalled somewhat with various construction activities but I think there's generally some interest in such things. Goudies Lane is somewhat this, the portion from Queen halfway to Ontario is painted, there are tables and chairs in the summertime, etc.

The city can only do so much though.  The retailers have to be on board

True.  Without at least three or four businesses ready to commit, I couldn't see it going forward.  Maybe however Goudies Lane ends up after the Queen St improvements (is that scheduled for this summer?) will inspire people.
(01-18-2019, 03:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 02:25 PM)Spokes Wrote: The city can only do so much though.  The retailers have to be on board

True.  Without at least three or four businesses ready to commit, I couldn't see it going forward.  Maybe however Goudies Lane ends up after the Queen St improvements (is that scheduled for this summer?) will inspire people.

Also depends on what Charlie West does with its interface to Hall's Lane. If it's a three-storey-high parking garage wall it would not help this kind of concept.
All valid points. Is the Queen street revitalization set to happen this summer?

(01-18-2019, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 03:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: True.  Without at least three or four businesses ready to commit, I couldn't see it going forward.  Maybe however Goudies Lane ends up after the Queen St improvements (is that scheduled for this summer?) will inspire people.

Also depends on what Charlie West does with its interface to Hall's Lane. If it's a three-storey-high parking garage wall it would not help this kind of concept.

Most likely a massive blank concrete wall.   Only the section of Hall's Lane between Gaukel and Queen has potential in its current state.
(01-18-2019, 05:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Also depends on what Charlie West does with its interface to Hall's Lane. If it's a three-storey-high parking garage wall it would not help this kind of concept.

Most likely a massive blank concrete wall.   Only the section of Hall's Lane between Gaukel and Queen has potential in its current state.

Even between Ontario and Queen would be challenging. On the S side there are basically two parking lots (small one for Walper, large one for 55 King W), while on the N side there are the back entrances of a handful of buildings (including Rich Uncle) but sandwiched between the back walls of 55 King W and the Walper.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »