Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
...and can I just use this as a soapbox for a moment to rant at how much I haaaaaate when drivers behind me freak out and start honking and flashing their lights at me when I wait for the arm to be all the way up and lights off before proceeding, as I am legally required to do? It drives me nuts when I see people just floor it the instant they can squeak under the gate as it raises.

But you already knew my thoughts on people who don't follow rules...

(for those who actually don't know - you have to WAIT for the arm to be all the way up and the lights to be OFF before you proceed. This is because if another train is coming in the other direction, the arm may reverse direction and come down again!)

(01-23-2019, 07:21 PM)Canard Wrote: (for those who actually don't know - you have to WAIT for the arm to be all the way up and the lights to be OFF before you proceed.  This is because if another train is coming in the other direction, the arm may reverse direction and come down again!)

I just saw two trains at the University crossing on opposite directions one after the other. (A few weeks ago I saw two trains cross each other at University; this time it was one and then the other.) It happened to be two trains both going towards Uptown and then one going back towards Conestoga.
(01-23-2019, 07:04 PM)Canard Wrote: I actually wonder if it might hold the world record for the longest crossing arm.

Edit - hrm.  Maybe not...

I think that gate was longer than the train!
Following up on Canard's report of concrete art bases installed at Conestoga station...

A couple weeks ago I posted these, from Mill station, on the public art thread:
[Image: f4TjjxB.jpg]

Yesterday, I spotted this one just off the Charles sidewalk across from Kitchener Market station:

[Image: 5ZdxS9o.jpg]

It seems clear these are for Tall Tales of Mill Street and Because Cats Can’t Fly, respectively.
Anyone know if there's a timeline for their installation?
(01-26-2019, 06:47 PM)Spokes Wrote: Anyone know if there's a timeline for their installation?

Probably not until Spring
Is there going to be another council update or was that just until the trains were delivered?

(01-26-2019, 06:47 PM)Spokes Wrote: Anyone know if there's a timeline for their installation?

The latest update from the project team was that installation was to happen from about May to August, 2018, and they had a specific timeline of when each piece would go in.

Needless to say, they're woefully behind.
(01-26-2019, 09:27 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Is there going to be another council update or was that just until the trains were delivered?

I asked recently, and the project team thanked me for "reaching out", mentioned there would be a formal update "soon", and to "stay tuned".
(01-26-2019, 09:40 PM)Canard Wrote:

The latest update from the project team was that installation was to happen from about May to August, 2018, and they had a specific timeline of when each piece would go in.

Needless to say, they're woefully behind.
And meanwhile, I understand that the artists have been left to bear the expense of storing the completed artworks.
(01-26-2019, 09:41 PM)Canard Wrote:
(01-26-2019, 09:27 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Is there going to be another council update or was that just until the trains were delivered?

I asked recently, and the project team thanked me for "reaching out", mentioned there would be a formal update "soon", and to "stay tuned".

Lol, when it put it that way, sounds like an email autoresponder.
Just had a thought. Does any one know, when they installed the FIE, was it installed in both cabs? Thank you.

(01-27-2019, 08:14 PM)Square Wrote: Just had a thought.   Does any one know, when they installed the FIE, was it installed in both cabs?   Thank you.

The in-cab signalling and other displays certainly have to be. We don't have turnaround loops at the line ends, just crossovers, so the trains will run both directions on the line. The equipment is more than just the in-cab part though, so there would be components like computers that are in neither cab.
I might have used the word "could" instead of "would" - in order to minimize the rework required for the installation, the clever thing to do would be to put the majority of the equipment in one cab (you have to tear it apart, anyway) and make the other cab HMI a "slave" to it, rather than have a whole third area of the vehicle that needs to have the brains installed with equal installations at each cab.

...that being said, from what I understand, the entire train essentially needed to be torn apart to fit it all in and get it wired up, so...

Fun Reminder: "Free-Issued Equipment" is a generic, non-industry, non-Waterloo/ION specific term. It's a very common way for customers to take control of an aspect of a project and manage certain hardware aspects with a supplier or manufacturer. In this case, Bombardier is using the terminology more publicly I think in an attempt to make it very clearly known that this is the case - that the Region Free Issued this equipment to them, and so it's not their fault this time that things have pushed on so late.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »