Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I heard 504's horn this evening for the first time after they came across an idiot driver in uptown. Damn that is loud.

Happened to be above an LRV passing through yesterday...

[Image: 20190201_lrv_from_above-xx.jpg]
(02-02-2019, 09:59 PM)plam Wrote: Happened to be above an LRV passing through yesterday...

We have surprisingly few places to do this. This bridge at UW, Manulife and Frederick downtown, and the Weber bridge are the only pedestrian-accessible spots I can think of.
I like the LRV hanging out at Northfield Station in the region's latest GIS aerial imagery.

[Image: myVPcfQ.png]
That's the ultimate overhead view!
If only we had live imagery like that

(02-02-2019, 09:59 PM)plam Wrote: Happened to be above an LRV passing through yesterday...

[Image: 20190201_lrv_from_above-xx.jpg]

Amazing shot!
So my wife and I had an interesting chase experience yesterday.

We were driving on Fairway Rd heading towards downtown in the early afternoon, and had just tuned into the ION radio.  We didn't hear any chatter, but as we got to Balzer Rd (just after where Fairway becomes Courtland) we saw the gates at the car dealership on their way up.  We were just behind a train!

It did a quick stop/go at Block Line station which allowed us to pass, and we turned left onto Hayward to watch it there.  The pedestrian gates at the Hayward/Courtland corner were slow to drop, forcing the LRV (discovered to be 514, thanks to the big blue duct tape 16 in its side window) to wait as we made our own left turn onto Hayward.  The lights at Hayward crossing just started to flash as we arrived, so we waited for the gates to drop and the train to pass.  Then we hightailed it to Homer Watson and onto Ottawa to catch up!

As we crossed Courtland it was halfway up the hill to Charles, completing its turn before we got stuck at a red light trying to follow.  We caught up to it at Borden, where it did another quick stop/go at the station, and we were able to pass it on Charles by driving faster than its limits through the turns and crossover.  We parallel parked between Eby and Benton to wait for it to catch up, which I expected to take some time as they always have a red signal at the in-street crossovers and have to radio for permission to proceed.

The train passed us in no time and I realized two very important things:

1) It didn't radio for permission to proceed through Cameron crossover, it just went.
2) It had sailed through every traffic light we observed on Ottawa and Charles, never having to stop and wait!

If the LRV hadn't done a quick stop/go at each station we'd never have been able to keep up to it by car, its luck with the lights remained uncanny.

Unfortunately it wasn't as lucky with the lights on Duke St, so we got ahead of it again and pulled into the Kaufman Lofts to wait.  Once it passed us on Francis we again gave chase, but it didn't wait for another light all the way to Waterloo Town Square, nor did it stop and radio for permission at the Green crossover.  We were continually behind it yet again!

Based on yesterday's experience, I would have to say that the FIE and its integration with the traffic signals (except on Duke St) is working great, and the fact that we couldn't keep up by car even though it was doing stop/go's at every station bodes well for the future.  I can't wait to experience it as a passenger!
(02-04-2019, 04:39 PM)KevinT Wrote: So my wife and I had an interesting chase experience yesterday.

We were driving on Fairway Rd heading towards downtown in the early afternoon, and had just tuned into the ION radio.  We didn't hear any chatter, but as we got to Balzer Rd (just after where Fairway becomes Courtland) we saw the gates at the car dealership on their way up.  We were just behind a train!

It did a quick stop/go at Block Line station which allowed us to pass, and we turned left onto Hayward to watch it there.  The pedestrian gates at the Hayward/Courtland corner were slow to drop, forcing the LRV (discovered to be 514, thanks to the big blue duct tape 16 in its side window) to wait as we made our own left turn onto Hayward.  The lights at Hayward crossing just started to flash as we arrived, so we waited for the gates to drop and the train to pass.  Then we hightailed it to Homer Watson and onto Ottawa to catch up!

As we crossed Courtland it was halfway up the hill to Charles, completing its turn before we got stuck at a red light trying to follow.  We caught up to it at Borden, where it did another quick stop/go at the station, and we were able to pass it on Charles by driving faster than its limits through the turns and crossover.  We parallel parked between Eby and Benton to wait for it to catch up, which I expected to take some time as they always have a red signal at the in-street crossovers and have to radio for permission to proceed.

The train passed us in no time and I realized two very important things:

1) It didn't radio for permission to proceed through Cameron crossover, it just went.
2) It had sailed through every traffic light we observed on Ottawa and Charles, never having to stop and wait!

If the LRV hadn't done a quick stop/go at each station we'd never have been able to keep up to it by car, its luck with the lights remained uncanny.

Unfortunately it wasn't as lucky with the lights on Duke St, so we got ahead of it again and pulled into the Kaufman Lofts to wait.  Once it passed us on Francis we again gave chase, but it didn't wait for another light all the way to Waterloo Town Square, nor did it stop and radio for permission at the Green crossover.  We were continually behind it yet again!

Based on yesterday's experience, I would have to say that the FIE and its integration with the traffic signals (except on Duke St) is working great, and the fact that we couldn't keep up by car even though it was doing stop/go's at every station bodes well for the future.  I can't wait to experience it as a passenger!

They have the interlocking signals bagged at Cameron and Green crossovers for the time being. From the sounds of what I heard this morning they may be doing timed runs to try to work out more formal schedule timings. I heard control ask 504 if it was going to be ready to depart Fairway at 9:10 AM (I was in DTK at the time) so I went up to Waterloo Public Square and walked around Uptown for a bit and watched as 504 pulled in to Waterloo Public Square Station at 9:41 AM. 31 minutes after being "scheduled" to depart Fairway.
We'll finally get an update on where things are at (beyond the standard and smug "Thanks for reaching out. Testing and training is ongoing. Stay Tuned" from the project team), at the next Regional Council meeting on February 19.

Source
With all this ice weather we are getting (think it will be our weather in the coming years), listening to the scanner at 2 am and two vehicles losing power every 50 feet, I'm kinda glad they did not start service in December!
The laws of physics don’t change in Waterloo Region. Every city with trams has problems with ice, even Toronto. All the testing in the world won’t change that, although it will allow them the opportunity to hone their skills on how to manage it.

What's better suited to that task, a pantograph or a trolley pole shoe? I would have thought the former, but it's certainly a challenge no matter what.
You decide:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »