Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
Can you at least tell us....will we be happy???

(02-12-2019, 10:54 PM)Spokes Wrote: Can you at least tell us....will we be happy???

If my source is correct … most of us here will be happy, at least! Big Grin
When this was called Sixo, was there ever any detail about what was going to be in the mansion?
(02-13-2019, 02:41 PM)Legend Wrote: When this was called Sixo, was there ever any detail about what was going to be in the mansion?

The mansion? Do you mean the current funeral home?
The original portion of the former Ratz Bechtel funeral home is known as the Kaufman mansion (1897).  As part of SIXO,  it was to be restored.
Drove by this afternoon and saw that the Laura sharp flower shop has been demolished. Finally some work begins?
(02-13-2019, 03:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The original portion of the former Ratz Bechtel funeral home is known as the Kaufman mansion (1897).  As part of SIXO,  it was to be restored.

Yup, the owner of Kaufman used to live there and he had a view of the factory down the street from his office!

(04-03-2019, 04:09 PM)Square Wrote: Drove by this afternoon and saw that the Laura sharp flower shop has been demolished.  Finally some work begins?

Hopefully the start of something, but I'm not holding my breath.  Without seeing some new details, I can't imagine much heavy work would be done.
(04-03-2019, 04:32 PM)urbd Wrote:
(02-13-2019, 03:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The original portion of the former Ratz Bechtel funeral home is known as the Kaufman mansion (1897).  As part of SIXO,  it was to be restored.

Yup, the owner of Kaufman used to live there and he had a view of the factory down the street from his office!

Jacob Kaufman, father of A.R. .
(04-04-2019, 09:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 04:32 PM)urbd Wrote: Yup, the owner of Kaufman used to live there and he had a view of the factory down the street from his office!

Jacob Kaufman, father of A.R. .

Ok thanks for the clarification, now elaborate please - so Jacob lived there? Was Jacob the founder and then A.R. took the company over?
My sources say the Station Park design work (both commercial and residential) will be consulted by a well known local agency (in cooperation with the developer) to reflect the needs of the residents in Kitchener-Waterloo.
Some of our recent developments were consulted with local consultants/design agency, and some were/are not -- such as the case with DTK (Toronto based developer, who went ahead without accepting local consultation).
I think this is an important step in ensuring there is some differentiation between the actual needs and desires of KW residents, and what a outside developers 'think' would work here Wink
(04-04-2019, 03:28 PM)kidgibnick Wrote: My sources say the Station Park design work (both commercial and residential) will be consulted by a well known local agency (in cooperation with the developer) to reflect the needs of the residents in Kitchener-Waterloo.
Some of our recent developments were consulted with local consultants/design agency, and some were/are not -- such as the case with DTK (Toronto based developer, who went ahead without accepting local consultation).
I think this is an important step in ensuring there is some differentiation between the actual needs and desires of KW residents, and what a outside developers 'think' would work here Wink

...an example of using local consulting/design vs. not is often reflected in bedroom sizes, finishings, size of balconies, etc.
Just compare the floor plans per sq. ft for comps http://www.dtkcondos.ca/dtk-condos-floor-plans/ (Toronto size units in Kitchener) vs. https://carolinest.com/floor-plans

All that being said, I have a feeling Station Park will be one of the greatest developments in the region!
I popped into the Korean grocery store in the strip mall, today, and the fellow there told me that their eviction has been postponed two to three years.

(04-04-2019, 03:41 PM)kidgibnick Wrote: ...an example of using local consulting/design vs. not is often reflected in bedroom sizes, finishings, size of balconies, etc.
Just compare the floor plans per sq. ft for comps http://www.dtkcondos.ca/dtk-condos-floor-plans/ (Toronto size units in Kitchener) vs. https://carolinest.com/floor-plans

All that being said, I have a feeling Station Park will be one of the greatest developments in the region!

Some of that is also that those two buildings are separated by a couple years, and the market moved. Charlie West also has small units like DTK. Charlie West units were generally cheaper than DTK though, so I agree DTK was not great value.
(04-04-2019, 02:04 PM)urbd Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 09:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Jacob Kaufman, father of A.R. .

Ok thanks for the clarification, now elaborate please - so Jacob lived there? Was Jacob the founder and then A.R. took the company over?

Yes, Jacob built the house and lived there - he was also the one who founded what became Kaufman Rubber, the company he left to A.R.  I don't know how long A.R. lived in that house (didn't he eventually end up in Westmount?).

The entry on Jacob Kaufman from the Dictonary of Candian Biography is worth a read.  http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/kaufman_jacob_14E.html
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »