Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-19-2019, 12:23 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 12:08 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that expected to be actually reached, or just that's what they're allowed to go?

In some sections of the ballasted track they will be going that speed, others they will come close. The speed in the embedded sections is restricted to 50 km/h maximum.

Now is that the speed when it's at the side of the road with a roll curb?  Or when it is in the middle of the road?  I question why the speeds are so low, in some cases, lower than the speed limit for cars, even when separated by a curb.

(02-19-2019, 09:31 AM)Spokes Wrote: When the trains are in a totally isolated area (not in mixed traffic) what kind of speeds will they do?  I'm thinking between Mill and Block Line for example

70 km/h on the Fairway Corridor, Mill Spur, and Waterloo Spur!
(02-19-2019, 12:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Now is that the speed when it's at the side of the road with a roll curb?  Or when it is in the middle of the road?  I question why the speeds are so low, in some cases, lower than the speed limit for cars, even when separated by a curb.

The speed limits in the city are the road speed limit (“RESUME SAFE SPEED”) unless specified otherwise by a yellow diamond sign. Where yellow diamond signs are present, this represents the maximum permitted speed due to curve geometry. All of these limits are visible in the charts on the Functional design Plans available on the Region’s Site.
When do the ION-related documents come out today, and where will they be? I hate that they’re so hard to find.
(02-19-2019, 01:51 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 12:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Now is that the speed when it's at the side of the road with a roll curb?  Or when it is in the middle of the road?  I question why the speeds are so low, in some cases, lower than the speed limit for cars, even when separated by a curb.

The speed limits in the city are the road speed limit (“RESUME SAFE SPEED”) unless specified otherwise by a yellow diamond sign. Where yellow diamond signs are present, this represents the maximum permitted speed due to curve geometry. All of these limits are visible in the charts on the Functional design Plans available on the Region’s Site.

They really should do at least speed limit + 10km/h. Areas with a 50km/h limit normally have motor traffic at 60km/h, on top of which the LRVs are running on tracks mostly in a centre reservation far from any pedestrians so there is no need to limit their speed so much. O well. It should still do pretty good time with signal priority.
(02-19-2019, 01:59 PM)Canard Wrote: When do the ION-related documents come out today, and where will they be? I hate that they’re so hard to find.

I was just going to ask the same thing! Are we getting a launch date today? Huh
(02-19-2019, 02:51 PM)urbd Wrote: I was just going to ask the same thing! Are we getting a launch date today? Huh

Tom Galloway already said it would just be a vehicle status update, not the launch date announcement.

https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/statu...8053307393

(02-19-2019, 01:59 PM)Canard Wrote: When do the ION-related documents come out today, and where will they be? I hate that they’re so hard to find.

Delayed until next week's general Council meeting.
Does that indicate the news is particularly good or bad, or should we not read anything into it?
(02-19-2019, 03:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: Does that indicate the news is particularly good or bad, or should we not read anything into it?

Staff could have just gotten an influx of paperwork about it last minute and needed more time to compile the report.
(02-19-2019, 03:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: Does that indicate the news is particularly good or bad, or should we not read anything into it?

I don't think it's good news. If it was good news they'd have the info on hand as planned, not late.

My guess is that it'll be delayed again until "summer" (which is fall).
(02-19-2019, 03:58 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I don't think it's good news. If it was good news they'd have the info on hand as planned, not late.

This is basically my expectation at this point.

The continual delays have made a cynic out of me, if the region cannot even deliver a report on time...forget about trains.
September 2019 here we come.

(02-19-2019, 04:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 03:58 PM)jeffster Wrote: I don't think it's good news. If it was good news they'd have the info on hand as planned, not late.

This is basically my expectation at this point.

The continual delays have made a cynic out of me, if the region cannot even deliver a report on time...forget about trains.

Same here. At this point, what could be the reasoning for more delays? I know there are still a couple things being worked out, but driver training is well underway, we have all the vehicles, etc. What else could delay it yet again? Is it a political move?
The main source of delay at this point would be the automated signaling system. We know it's not running yet (we've yet to see more than 4 trains at a time), and until it is we can't say an absolute date.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »