Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fairview Park Mall - Grand Market District
Construction fencing is up around the old Sears Hardware/Automotive building

Demo is underway at the old hardware building. Looks like it's half down.
Article from the Record states construction is to start this spring.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/919...is-spring/

The article hints at a mixed use expansion at CF's site across the street.
(02-25-2019, 09:09 PM)rangersfan Wrote: The article hints at a mixed use expansion at CF's site across the street.

I remember reading about that a while back, can't remember where though. Everything is going to be massive though.
In the movie theater parking lot?
Fairview Park redevelopment in Kitchener to begin this spring
Quote:Work on the first phase of a massive expansion and reimagining of Fairview Park mall is expected to begin this spring.

Owner Cadillac Fairview (CF) said the $70-million project will include a new four-storey office building, at least three free-standing restaurants and the transformation of the former Sears store into new retail and office space. The property will be known as CF Grand Market District.
Finley McEwen, senior vice-president of development at Cadillac Fairview, said it's an opportunity to expand beyond the traditional enclosed shopping mall format and turn the property into a more pedestrian friendly mixed-use area.

"We're taking the opportunity to update the product that we're offering the market."

The majority of the existing mall will be retained, but new retail space will be outward facing, McEwen said. "You create an opportunity for customers to walk between the buildings."
Behind the scenes, the basement of the Sears store will house large cisterns allowing rainwater from the roof to filter into the ground. McEwen said it's hoped that will prevent parking lot flooding the property has experienced in the past.

There will also be a solar array with more than 1,500 panels on top of the Sears building. "We're doing a tremendous amount of work to improve the sustainability of the project," said McEwen.

The region's new light rail transit system has a terminus at the property.

Cadillac Fairview wants the redevelopment to tie into its property across Fairway Road, home to Cineplex Cinemas and Indigo. A mixed-use expansion to that site is planned as well, McEwen said.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/919...is-spring/
Also from the article:  

(02-25-2019, 11:46 PM)Spokes Wrote: In the movie theater parking lot?

Yeah....and I think I saw the info (when I went to the theatre) at the actual site. Office and ground level retail, IIRC.
(02-26-2019, 03:19 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 11:46 PM)Spokes Wrote: In the movie theater parking lot?

Yeah....and I think I saw the movie at the actual site. Office and ground level retail, IIRC.

This is correct, no residential across the street. Only residential along Kingsway (is that the correct street name?)
That's probably the right call.

It just depends what the eventual vision for Fairway Rd is. Do they want to overhaul it like they want to overhaul Hespeler Rd, or is status quo ok
Cadillac Fairview Announces Significant CF Fairview Park Investment [Renderings]

There is a very detailed overview of the CF Grand Market District remake of Fairview Park found in Canada's Retail Insider

“Beyond this (plan), we also have a rezoning application in for additional office space and residential space in the property. It will be a truly mixed-use development when we’re done.”

“Future phases also include 600 residential units. We haven’t made the determination whether it’s condo or rental yet. At this point we’re just working with the city of Kitchener on the zoning,” said McEwen. “Our zoning application includes between two and four residential towers. So the shape and height of the buildings hasn’t been determined yet but it will be in that range and approximately 1,000 structure parking stalls.”

Additional retail space will be on the ground level of those buildings."

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-in...renderings

"Cadillac Fairview said some of the other key features of the GMD project include:
  • Retail spaces with operable exterior entrances to create more permeable building edges; larger windows to allow natural sunlight into interior spaces; and warmer feeling building materials;

• An activated streetscape will create an intimate and elevated pedestrian experience weaving together retail, office, restaurants and entertainment;

• The architecture will feature a unique blend of historical and contemporary design. Traditional brick materials will be used for both building exteriors and pedestrian areas to pay tribute to the city's Victorian-era industrial past;

• The former Sears building (built in the 1960's Kennedy-era style) will be re-imagined with a complete recladding of some elevations and a careful restoration elsewhere where the distinctive ribbed precast exterior will be preserved;

• As part of CF's commitment to environmental sustainability, more than 1,500 solar panels will be installed on top of the former Sears building to offset electricity consumed at the property; and

• Dedicated storm water facilities to channel storm water from the roof areas to underground "infiltration galleries" will be installed, thereby reducing contaminated runoff and making the property more resilient to extreme weather."
A couple new renders in there too:

(02-26-2019, 09:51 AM)Spokes Wrote: Also from the article:  

Can't wait to eat at Hen Rick's. That place is fabulous.

(02-28-2019, 09:34 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 09:51 AM)Spokes Wrote: Also from the article:  

Can't wait to eat at Hen Rick's. That place is fabulous.

I was excited when I saw we were finally going to be getting a Towers R Us in town!

Coke
(03-13-2019, 11:33 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 09:34 PM)jeffster Wrote: Can't wait to eat at Hen Rick's. That place is fabulous.

I was excited when I saw we were finally going to be getting a Towers R Us in town!

Coke

Yeah, Towers R Us has some pretty cool items. It's also interesting to see that Casper is coming to Kitchener as well. I wasn't aware of any brick&mortar stores, but pretty cool to see that they're going to have a storefront in town.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »