Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
This morning the 'tent' (lower bottom of pic) looked like it was blown down during yesterday's wind storm.  Last week they started digging deeper and putting up more of the retention wall.  Work continues unabated.  I have never seen a high rise being built from this vantage point so it's all very interesting to me.  

(03-11-2019, 12:45 PM)jgsz Wrote: This morning the 'tent' (lower bottom of pic) looked like it was blown down during yesterday's wind storm.  Last week they started digging deeper and putting up more of the retention wall.  Work continues unabated.  I have never seen a high rise being built from this vantage point so it's all very interesting to me.  

They seem to be going at a really good clip. It's going to be exciting once this and Charlie are completed, plus Garment St
(03-11-2019, 12:45 PM)jgsz Wrote: This morning the 'tent' (lower bottom of pic) looked like it was blown down during yesterday's wind storm.  Last week they started digging deeper and putting up more of the retention wall.  Work continues unabated.  I have never seen a high rise being built from this vantage point so it's all very interesting to me.  

For us, too- thanks a lot for the updates!
A series of dump trucks were coming through at midday; arriving empty, leaving full.
(03-11-2019, 06:55 PM)MidTowner Wrote:

For us, too- thanks a lot for the updates!

I will second that, thanks for the updates!  One other thing that bothers me, that none of these new developments have windows in the wood fencing.  When I was a kid, I always ran to construction sites to watch the work by looking in these windows!

Is it possible to post a photo every day?  Or will that use up too much of the forum bandwidth?   Thank you.
Daily updates are fine for the forum, as long as jgsz doesn't mind! Smile

(03-11-2019, 06:34 PM)jeffster Wrote:

They seem to be going at a really good clip. It's going to be exciting once this and Charlie are completed, plus Garment St

And Drewlo! Don't forget Drewlo! Smile
(03-12-2019, 03:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Daily updates are fine for the forum, as long as jgsz doesn't mind! Smile

I don't mind taking pics if I'm around.  

Here is a pic from today.  As KevinL mentioned there are trucks going in and out removing soil all day long.  This morning a truck brought in something(s) that must have been very heavy.  While unloading the two box-like things at the corner of Duke and Frederick the truck had to be balanced so it wouldn't tip during the unloading.  Does anyone know what they are?  Some kind of battery?  

(03-12-2019, 02:55 PM)Square Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:55 PM)MidTowner Wrote: For us, too- thanks a lot for the updates!

I will second that, thanks for the updates!  One other thing that bothers me, that none of these new developments have windows in the wood fencing.  When I was a kid, I always ran to construction sites to watch the work by looking in these windows!

You can get a good view into Charlie from Hall's Lane much of the time, and at night the site is almost completely open from Charles street. The build at 345 King St W is fenced on the parking lot side with metal grid fencing, if you ever want to peak. Neither are especially great viewpoints to watch the work take place, but you might be able to get a bit of that feeling again.
Thank you Rob and Jgsz!
(03-12-2019, 03:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Daily updates are fine for the forum, as long as jgsz doesn't mind! Smile

Thank you.
(03-12-2019, 03:48 PM)jgsz Wrote:

I don't mind taking pics if I'm around.  

Here is a pic from today.  As KevinL mentioned there are trucks going in and out removing soil all day long.  This morning a truck brought in something(s) that must have been very heavy.  While unloading the two box-like things at the corner of Duke and Frederick the truck had to be balanced so it wouldn't tip during the unloading.  Does anyone know what they are?  Some kind of battery?  

Maybe to pump and clean the ground water, if they encounter any?

(03-12-2019, 02:55 PM)Square Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:55 PM)MidTowner Wrote: For us, too- thanks a lot for the updates!

I used to love that!

Definitely missed
(03-12-2019, 05:51 PM)Square Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 03:48 PM)jgsz Wrote: I don't mind taking pics if I'm around.  

Maybe to pump and clean the ground water, if they encounter any?

I would suspect transformers and switchgear for temporary power (especially the crane). Packaged into standard shipping containers for portability and durability.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »