Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Winter Walking and Cycling
There might be a way to complain loudly enough to the city about a specific corner to get it cleared. But you're right that windrows are not being cleared in practice, by anyone.

(03-09-2019, 11:44 AM)MidTowner Wrote: There might be a way to complain loudly enough to the city about a specific corner to get it cleared. But you're right that windrows are not being cleared in practice, by anyone.

Lol, well this isn't different from before. I don't know whether pretending that they were was better or worse. I'd say it depends on how the pols respond.
I don't think that bylaw enforcement is the right tool to use to ensure sidewalks are cleared.

In February, shortly after the effective start of the snowy season this year, we were told that bylaw was issuing infraction notices to property owners whose sidewalks were completely passable and nearly completely clear. At post #590, on page 40 of this thread, there is a photograph of a sidewalk which nobody in his right mind would consider in non-compliance, but was nevertheless cited.

We were told at that time that bylaw enforcement was exercising zero discretion, and were issuing citations to property owners who the director of bylaw enforcement stated had done "fantastic jobs."

While this was happening, bylaw enforcement was commenting on the volume of complaints being overwhelming, and sidewalks about which the public had complained for being uncleared were not being investigated.

Property owners justifiably complained about receiving citations for sidewalks which were nearly completely cleared.

At some point since then, council and bylaw enforcement, without communicating with the public at all that I can tell, directed staff to change the standards they applied, and issue a notice only when a sidewalk is "not passable." Their enforcement of the bylaw now seems completely divorced from the language of the bylaw, which states that sidewalks must be free of snow and ice within 24 hours. The new standard being used does not take into account how much time has passed since the last snowfall. It does not require a sidewalk to be clear.

The new enforcement is now clearly designed to avoid issuing notices to property owners. There is no indication that any consideration to mobility was taken in developing the new standard. Staff at the call centre continue to take complaints, with no knowledge of what bylaw enforcement consists of.

In short: Bylaw enforcement failed to get the balance right. They went from enforcing to the letter of the bylaw at the expense of investigating complaints about properties that had caused actual mobility challenges, to effectively ignoring complaints of mobility challenges and applying a standard that has nothing to do with mobility and everything to do with not angering property owners who do not clear their sidewalks.
(03-10-2019, 02:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I don't think that bylaw enforcement is the right tool to use to ensure sidewalks are cleared.

In February, shortly after the effective start of the snowy season this year, we were told that bylaw was issuing infraction notices to property owners whose sidewalks were completely passable and nearly completely clear. At post #590, on page 40 of this thread, there is a photograph of a sidewalk which nobody in his right mind would consider in non-compliance, but was nevertheless cited.

We were told at that time that bylaw enforcement was exercising zero discretion, and were issuing citations to property owners who the director of bylaw enforcement stated had done "fantastic jobs."

While this was happening, bylaw enforcement was commenting on the volume of complaints being overwhelming, and sidewalks about which the public had complained for being uncleared were not being investigated.

Property owners justifiably complained about receiving citations for sidewalks which were nearly completely cleared.

At some point since then, council and bylaw enforcement, without communicating with the public at all that I can tell, directed staff to change the standards they applied, and issue a notice only when a sidewalk is "not passable." Their enforcement of the bylaw now seems completely divorced from the language of the bylaw, which states that sidewalks must be free of snow and ice within 24 hours. The new standard being used does not take into account how much time has passed since the last snowfall. It does not require a sidewalk to be clear.

The new enforcement is now clearly designed to avoid issuing notices to property owners. There is no indication that any consideration to mobility was taken in developing the new standard. Staff at the call centre continue to take complaints, with no knowledge of what bylaw enforcement consists of.

In short: Bylaw enforcement failed to get the balance right. They went from enforcing to the letter of the bylaw at the expense of investigating complaints about properties that had caused actual mobility challenges, to effectively ignoring complaints of mobility challenges and applying a standard that has nothing to do with mobility and everything to do with not angering property owners who do not clear their sidewalks.

With the weather that we have had over the past 6 weeks or so, it's doubtful that there could be any concrete solution. But I do agree that the city going from A to Z within a short period of time wasn't the correct way of doing things.

You do have to wonder whether (pardon the pun) staff was going through this forum as a sounding ground.

Moving forward, I don't envy either bylaw or council, as this issue is going to be impossible to fix, at least without a lot of money. However, they could extend the snowblower program, to see how that works. Though I really think everyone is out of ideas, as it seems that the city doing it won't move forward (and if it did, same level of complaints).
(03-11-2019, 02:38 AM)jeffster Wrote: Moving forward, I don't envy either bylaw or council, as this issue is going to be impossible to fix, at least without a lot of money. However, they could extend the snowblower program, to see how that works. Though I really think everyone is out of ideas, as it seems that the city doing it won't move forward (and if it did, same level of complaints).

Probably all we need is an AODA lawsuit. Then the City will extend its sidewalk clearing program to all sidewalks (not just those in front of City properties). Problem solved, or at least about as solved as it’s going to be given our weather. Unless Kitchener is noticeably worse at clearing its own sidewalks than Waterloo. Here in Waterloo all the portions cleared by the City were in pretty good shape all winter, at least as far as I saw.

Still, I don’t know why our democratically elected governments can’t get their acts together without being constantly forced to do so by court rulings.

I’m not impressed with either Bylaw or Council. The two modes in which Bylaw has operated (citing for tiny patches of ice, and ignoring massive non-compliance) are both obviously incorrect. And Council obviously should have proceeded with the pilot. If that had turned out not to work so well, then they would be in a situation where I would have some sympathy for their position.
(03-11-2019, 02:38 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 02:16 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I don't think that bylaw enforcement is the right tool to use to ensure sidewalks are cleared.

With the weather that we have had over the past 6 weeks or so, it's doubtful that there could be any concrete solution. 

City cleared sidewalks in the downtown core have been clear every morning I walked to work in the past six weeks.  There is one solution that seems to work but to steal a line from a movie title that seems to be an inconvenient truth for some.

FWIW I was out for a walk this weekend in the outer parts of the city (still core though--down king st).  On the way down I struggled over so many uncleared sidewalks it was infuriating.  The way back I took a route 30% farther but mostly on backlotted roads which the city cleared and beat my time home.
The cost angle for not having clear sidewalks is pretty piss poor. We'd never accept that answer for uncleared roads, uncollected garbage, and other basic services. If the city can't afford to fund these services we're doing something really wrong.

(03-11-2019, 02:38 AM)jeffster Wrote: With the weather that we have had over the past 6 weeks or so, it's doubtful that there could be any concrete solution. But I do agree that the city going from A to Z within a short period of time wasn't the correct way of doing things.

You do have to wonder whether (pardon the pun) staff was going through this forum as a sounding ground.

Moving forward, I don't envy either bylaw or council, as this issue is going to be impossible to fix, at least without a lot of money. However, they could extend the snowblower program, to see how that works. Though I really think everyone is out of ideas, as it seems that the city doing it won't move forward (and if it did, same level of complaints).

I agree that there was probably no solution under the existing framework that would have resulted in sidewalks that were as clear as the roads have been. But, weeks after the last snowfall, what state should we expect the sidewalks to be in?

I've commented here and elsewhere that the "bare concrete" standard was not reasonable. It's a very positive thing that bylaw decided to use discretion in handing out notices, especially if that means they can spend more time inspecting and getting more sidewalks cleared. But I'm very curious what logic exactly was being used to pass sidewalks that property owners had not cleared for weeks, even when they were adjacent to sidewalks that were cleared completely.

No one is expecting sidewalks to be cleared to the same standard as roadways all winter. That's sad, but it's true: no one has that expectation. This morning, when walking, many sidewalks I passed had slippery ice because of the freeze last night. That's not nice, but it has to be accepted. It's going to happen sometimes.

Yesterday, however, we were walking on the street in many places, not because of a sudden thaw, but because of a minority of property owners who have not cleared their sidewalks. A light rain yesterday froze on the hard-packed snow, and made it impassable. And I now know that the city inspected many of these properties and thought they were good enough. I don't think that should be tolerated.
(03-11-2019, 07:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: ...
FWIW I was out for a walk this weekend in the outer parts of the city (still core though--down king st).  On the way down I struggled over so many uncleared sidewalks it was infuriating.  The way back I took a route 30% farther but mostly on backlotted roads which the city cleared and beat my time home.

Out of curiosity, did you call any of those sidewalks in? I'm interested in hearing what the call centre staff is saying at any given time.

I understand if you've given up on that, of course.
(03-11-2019, 10:38 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 07:35 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: ...

Out of curiosity, did you call any of those sidewalks in? I'm interested in hearing what the call centre staff is saying at any given time.

Nah, I've stopped bothering.  I reported them in my app, which should have autogenerated an email, but I didn't bother calling, I'm so tired of calling...
(03-11-2019, 10:48 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:38 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Out of curiosity, did you call any of those sidewalks in? I'm interested in hearing what the call centre staff is saying at any given time.

Nah, I've stopped bothering.  I reported them in my app, which should have autogenerated an email, but I didn't bother calling, I'm so tired of calling...

Look guys! Phone complaints about sidewalks are down - the system is working!
(03-11-2019, 10:59 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:48 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Nah, I've stopped bothering.  I reported them in my app, which should have autogenerated an email, but I didn't bother calling, I'm so tired of calling...

Look guys! Phone complaints about sidewalks are down - the system is working!

:'(...

I know...but at the end of the day, when I call, I feel that I am being trolled, last time I called, they told submitting a complaint was pointless, because I'd already complained about that section of sidewalk.

This is a terrible way to feel, powerless, hopeless...I cannot believe this is how some people feel about all aspects of their government.

And frankly, I'm done, I won't be walking in KW next winter, you win city council, and by win, I mean, successfully bullied those who have the power to change their situation to doing so in a harmful way to the rest of the city, and fuck those who cannot.
Well the inevitable has happened, took a fall on an icy sidewalk.

No serious injures, just some bruising. If a fully able person such as myself cannot use our sidewalks safely, forget anyone with any disabilities.

I don't have time to reach out to this person myself, but I just heard the name of the person who may be partly/wholly responsible for this change in enforcment. My workmate was part of a meeting where the bylaw enforcement was being discussed. He said that a person named Faranak Hosseini, the Transportation planning project manager at the City of Kitchener suggested this change. Not sure if it was her idea, or if she understood the impacts, but thought someone here may want to reach out.
Hope you bounce back quickly.

I have the same feelings as you. It's tricky for me to know what to do. My family has organized itself so a lot of what we do is within walking distance, because I think walking is a very good thing to do (that's understating how I feel about it). I don't want to tell my kids it's important to walk, I want to show them by doing it on a daily basis, for all kinds of trips.

I don't really want to put them in a car for a two-kilometre trip, say: it's better to walk by almost all criteria besides speed. But, in the winter, walking also seems less safe than driving. So I'm tempted to drive instead. But, then, why limit us to destinations in our neighbourhood if we're in the car anyway? We might as well go further afield.

That's not really what I want, but what I really want- to be able to safely walk places- might not be possible in Kitchener.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »