Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
So doesn't this leave the vast majority of this plot undeveloped then?

If by "vast majority" you mean around half, then yeah. I would guess the redesigned building will be bordered by Moore, Breithaupt, and possibly go as far as Wellington. But they'd planned a cute little park on the corner of moore and wellington, so hopefully that stays.
Maybe Google can design a giant drone to shuttle people from the ass end of Joesph over to Breithaupt? That would be nifty to see
(04-02-2019, 12:47 PM)dgoh0 Wrote: If by "vast majority" you mean around half, then yeah. I would guess the redesigned building will be bordered by Moore, Breithaupt, and possibly go as far as Wellington. But they'd planned a cute little park on the corner of moore and wellington, so hopefully that stays.

Oh for some reason I thought the garage took up more than half of the property
The garage doesn't exist anymore. Not the one hoped for. The property still has surface parking and is a good thing. The proposed building is great for the fact that it will house many people that will be spending loot in this town and raising kids, going to central fresh, buying cheap peppers at the kitchener market, and possibly eating at a restaurant. I think Perimeter will figure it out and everybody will be fine. It's nice to see that it is turning a corner from a proud history of manufacturing to moving towards a world class tech center. Just my thoughts.
(04-02-2019, 06:58 PM)Spokes Wrote: Oh for some reason I thought the garage took up more than half of the property

Imagine something like this, except instead of red lines drawn through the parking garage, imagine surface level parking.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-03-2019, 08:44 AM)dgoh0 Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 06:58 PM)Spokes Wrote: Oh for some reason I thought the garage took up more than half of the property

Imagine something like this, except instead of red lines drawn through the parking garage, imagine surface level parking.

Oohhhh. Thank you.  Well. That's a lot better other than the fact that a large portion of the property will be underutilized now. I gues the city just lost out on a huge source of tax revenue. I predict that perimeter is leasing the parking space from the city for a year or two and you will see approval of a parking garage in another two years. Just saying.

I'll be surprised if there isn't a re-design of the tower. Specifically, to include some underground parking.
(04-02-2019, 05:21 PM)lump23 Wrote: Maybe Google can design a giant drone to shuttle people from the ass end of Joesph over to Breithaupt? That would be nifty to see

I think that's called a "helicopter".
(04-03-2019, 09:25 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 05:21 PM)lump23 Wrote: Maybe Google can design a giant drone to shuttle people from the ass end of Joesph over to Breithaupt? That would be nifty to see

I think that's called a "helicopter".

I knew somebody would catch on!!!!! Foiled again. Perimeter is leasing two parking areas from the city in the old bramm street yard. it is public knowledge as it was passed at council on monday. It is a 3 year lease with a additional year if needed.
(04-03-2019, 08:44 AM)dgoh0 Wrote:

Too bad it also kills the street level retail
(04-03-2019, 08:44 AM)dgoh0 Wrote: Imagine something like this, except instead of red lines drawn through the parking garage, imagine surface level parking.

We all love surface parking lots! They are an awesome, productive, efficient and beautiful way to make use of the excess of land we have in our urban areas.

"They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"
-- Joni Mitchell, 1970
(04-03-2019, 12:47 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 08:44 AM)dgoh0 Wrote: Imagine something like this, except instead of red lines drawn through the parking garage, imagine surface level parking.

Too bad it also kills the street level retail

Was that to be located in the parking garage or in the base of the tower?

(04-03-2019, 05:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 12:47 PM)Spokes Wrote: Too bad it also kills the street level retail

Was that to be located in the parking garage or in the base of the tower?

The parking garage had ground floor retail units along almost its entire Breithaupt frontage. I'm not sure if there's retail planned for the tower, but if there is I'll be surprised if it's not Google-exclusive in some way.
I already miss the parking garage and it wasn't even built.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »