Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Breithaupt Block Phase III | 11 fl | U/C
(04-03-2019, 11:54 AM)lump23 Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 09:25 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think that's called a "helicopter".

I knew somebody would catch on!!!!! Foiled again. Perimeter is leasing two parking areas from the city in the old bramm street yard. it is public knowledge as it was passed at council on monday. It is a 3 year lease with a additional year if needed.

So that basically kills the plan that the city had for the Bramm Street Yards. How many millions did the city lose to keep a handful of citizens happy? And it was millions. Damn. SMH.

(04-03-2019, 09:38 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 11:54 AM)lump23 Wrote: I knew somebody would catch on!!!!! Foiled again. Perimeter is leasing two parking areas from the city in the old bramm street yard. it is public knowledge as it was passed at council on monday. It is a 3 year lease with a additional year if needed.

So that basically kills the plan that the city had for the Bramm Street Yards. How many millions did the city lose to keep a handful of citizens happy? And it was millions. Damn. SMH.

LOL .. a tad dramatic.  Surface parking is future development lands, and a 3 yr lease is certainly not nearly permanent.  The city always was holding that lot for future development and nothing in a 3 yr lease changes that status.
(04-03-2019, 09:50 PM)Smore Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 09:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: So that basically kills the plan that the city had for the Bramm Street Yards. How many millions did the city lose to keep a handful of citizens happy? And it was millions. Damn. SMH.

LOL .. a tad dramatic.  Surface parking is future development lands, and a 3 yr lease is certainly not nearly permanent.  The city always was holding that lot for future development and nothing in a 3 yr lease changes that status.

True. And maybe Google can buy some of those houses next to the formerly-planned parking garage and just turn them into surface parking. Everybody loves surface parking!
More likely that developers eventually buy up the remaining residential properties to enable them to develop the rest of the block, istm.
(04-03-2019, 10:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: More likely that developers eventually buy up the remaining residential properties to enable them to develop the rest of the block, istm.

I don't know that buying the houses enables them to develop the block.  I have no doubt they'll still face strong opposition.
Probably. But it also depends what is proposed to be built.
As I've said before, I'd see no problem for the neighbourhood with a development of that block that stepped down to 3-4 storeys at the perimeter.

(04-03-2019, 09:50 PM)Smore Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 09:38 PM)jeffster Wrote: So that basically kills the plan that the city had for the Bramm Street Yards. How many millions did the city lose to keep a handful of citizens happy? And it was millions. Damn. SMH.

yes that is a tad dramatic considering that Perimeter will be paying about $330,000 per annum to lease that property as the new building gets built. That means that the city will be getting close to a Million bucks for land that is just sitting there at this point.
(04-04-2019, 10:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: As I've said before, I'd see no problem for the neighbourhood with a development of that block that stepped down to 3-4 storeys at the perimeter.

Nobody reasonable would. The operative word is 'reasonable.' I have neighbours who wring their hands about any development remotely close, because of "traffic."
(04-03-2019, 09:38 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-03-2019, 11:54 AM)lump23 Wrote: I knew somebody would catch on!!!!! Foiled again. Perimeter is leasing two parking areas from the city in the old bramm street yard. it is public knowledge as it was passed at council on monday. It is a 3 year lease with a additional year if needed.

What is the actual plan for bramm street yards? Any links to it?
(04-07-2019, 12:43 AM)artembunglito Wrote:

Actual plans? No. What the cities vision is, yes. I think if you go to City Hall, get off on Floor 6, and head towards College St, once you are off the stone floor, turn right again, and you should see a bunch of design pictures hanging on two walls. You might need to go to security to get a security pass to access floor 6, as I am not sure if it's a public floor, though it could be. They had a good vision for the Bramm St Yards. I was under the impression they wanted it sooner than later, but 'sooner' could still be a 5 year thing, so who knows.
I wouldn't be surprised if Momentum buys the land and develops it once they have completed 100 Victoria and Garment condos.
(04-07-2019, 12:43 AM)artembunglito Wrote:

(04-07-2019, 01:05 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(04-07-2019, 12:43 AM)artembunglito Wrote: What is the actual plan for bramm street yards? Any links to it?

Actual plans? No. What the cities vision is, yes. I think if you go to City Hall, get off on Floor 6, and head towards College St, once you are off the stone floor, turn right again, and you should see a bunch of design pictures hanging on two walls. You might need to go to security to get a security pass to access floor 6, as I am not sure if it's a public floor, though it could be. They had a good vision for the Bramm St Yards. I was under the impression they wanted it sooner than later, but 'sooner' could still be a 5 year thing, so who knows.

(04-07-2019, 07:36 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Momentum buys the land and develops it once they have completed 100 Victoria and Garment condos.

There's no "actual" plan for the Bramm Yards. The city has done a few visioning exercises over the years, but there is no master plan or anything of that sort. The city is reserving that land and directing growth to "inner" downtown as much as possible, and will open up those lands when the current wave of projects are all finished. I would guess that they will start working on a more detailed master plan for them in the coming years, but not soon. Also keep in mind that UW owns quite a bit of land immediately adjacent to Bramm Yards, so they would likely be involved in the process too.

A bit confusing but the articles published about this project in late June 2019 are stating that this is an 11 storey office building? Originally it was planned as a 12 neighbours complained and it was reduced to 10, or unless that's 10 above ground plus the 1 level of underground parking?

The article states that construction is expected to begin next month if so that is very exciting.

Do we know what parcels of land will house the parking garage?

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-relea...trict.html
(09-09-2019, 10:05 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A bit confusing but the articles published about this project in late June 2019 are stating that this is an 11 storey office building? Originally it was planned as a 12 neighbours complained and it was reduced to 10, or unless that's 10 above ground plus the 1 level of underground parking?

The article states that construction is expected to begin next month if so that is very exciting.

Do we know what parcels of land will house the parking garage?

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-relea...trict.html

Not the land that the shuttered McDonalds is sitting on, one hopes.  Corner of Duke and Breithaupt perhaps?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »