Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(03-23-2019, 09:24 PM)timio Wrote: Highland's been pushed to 2020/2021 with utility relocations happening this year as per the Feb 19th Planning and Works meeting.

Detailed Design Completion Spring / Summer 2019
Pre-Construction Utility Relocations Summer / Fall 2019
Tender Advertisement Winter 2019
Construction Spring 2020 to Fall 2021

Thank you for the information.  Still will be lots of construction.  Ottawa street from Highway 7 to Weber street, and Weber street from Cameron to Queen street.

(03-23-2019, 04:42 PM)Square Wrote: Saw this article awhile ago, will post the link.  I thought the Ottawa Street from the Highway to Weber construction would be on this list.   https://www.therecord.com/news-story/923...e=facebook&source=waterloo%20region%20record&utm_medium=socialmedia&utm_campaign=&utm_campaign_id=&utm_content=

What are they doing there? Just resurfacing?
Also odd that the second year of rebuilding Weber (Cameron -> Queen this year) wasn't included. Wow, just occurring to me that getting to the North side of Weber downtown this year will basically require going to either Victoria or Cedar

(03-25-2019, 10:20 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 04:42 PM)Square Wrote: Saw this article awhile ago, will post the link.  I thought the Ottawa Street from the Highway to Weber construction would be on this list.   https://www.therecord.com/news-story/923...tm_content=

What are they doing there? Just resurfacing?

I had thought this was from the highway -> Charles? Weren't they supposed to be doing a load of underground replacement, adding segregated bike lanes, and adding the extra lane to the block between Charles and King?
Spokes and GtwoK : This is going to be a full rebuild. Listed on this link https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...oSheet.pdf was "The project is scheduled for construction in 2018 and 2019. " It was delayed a year, can't remember where I read that.

Lol, never mind I found the link https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/whatson-sto...kitchener/ says 2020/2021, while this The Record link https://www.therecord.com/news-story/884...d-history/ says 2019/2020. Ha ha, my head is spinning!
Thanks for the links!!
The express lanes on the parkway were closed last night. Any ideas about what work they were doing?
(04-11-2019, 05:29 AM)jamincan Wrote: The express lanes on the parkway were closed last night. Any ideas about what work they were doing?

The work appears to be related to completing the rehabilitation of the Guelph Street underpass which never got completed last year. They did the collector side and are now doing the express side. (Both north and southbound?)

Traffic was backed WAY up past Ottawa this morning. Same reason?
The next phase of work on Weber in Downtown will start Monday - that's Cameron to Queen.
Closed?
Southbound closed, northbound 1 lane open.
Not sure how many folks here have seen Bicycle Dutch, the creator, Mark Wagenbuur, has put together so many great videos on cycling in the Netherlands.  This week he gives us a great reminder of the fact that our car oriented cities are a choice, one that the Netherlands made in the 60s the changed back, and that change is possible.

However, I caught something else interesting in the video:

The triangular concrete protrusions in the road, I don't know what to call them, I'd call them sharks teeth if that wasn't already something else, but it's amazing to see such aggressive protection for drivers cutting a corner on an already tight turn radii, when I feel the need to ask engineers in our region to make sure that they will be using barrier curbs on our corners instead of roll curbs on our corners with enormous turn radii.

A hit and run driver hit a pedestrian standing on the corner of King/Queen in DTK a few years ago, I wonder if that person would have been spared the pain and suffering if we built these into our roads.
The engineers in this region would probably say, "Not getting hit by a car while standing on the sidewalk is a shared responsibility".

but how would the sidewalk snowplows get around them? Confused
(04-19-2019, 12:05 PM)embe Wrote: but how would the sidewalk snowplows get around them? Confused

So, in the image isn't actually of a sidewalk, I don't believe, it's just the concrete area surrounding a parking garage ramp.

However, those wouldn't actually be on the sidewalk, in the situation I am thinking of, they would be in the median...ish area between the sidewalk and the road...at most corners, the sidewalks and crossings are not exactly at the corner, but as with bollards they could simply be kept clear of the sidewalk footpath.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »